3/14 range report; new squirrel in my tree? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2016, 04:24 PM   #1

3/14 range report; new squirrel in my tree?

...even though I'm feeling a little crappy, think I've picked up a bug my daughter had :-) Wanted to give things a go at the range.
This week I brought my original two 6 round mags, 84 rounds of Fiocchi 95gr FMJ (red box) and 50 American Eagle 95gr FMJ. A few extra drops of lube before I left. The first 50 of Fiocchi were flawless, on to the American Eagle, first mag was fine but the second round of the next mag "click" no "bang"? I waited a bit, the slide seemed to be fully returned to battery, dropped the mag and cycled the slide to eject the unfired cartridge. Popped the mag back in, chambered a round and again "click" but no "bang"? Again the slide looked to be seated properly and the round looked to be chambered properly? I cleared things again , reloaded and yup, another "click"???
...so back to the other partial box of Fiocchi, flawless??? Decided to try the American Eagle again and the what I had left ran fine???
...in looking at the cartridges that didn't fire there was no indication that the firing pin touched the primer and the three rounds all wound up firing 2nd time through. I didn't remove the firing pin but it seems to be working properly??? Any thoughts are welcome???
...here's today's paper from about 25'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (1.78 MB, 12 views)
Chuck43, Zoomybaby and Snake15 like this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-14-2016, 05:50 PM   #2

Wow, cuz I ain't got a clue about that. I sure am sorry you are having problems tho. dang it! good shootin tho!
Old 03-14-2016, 06:16 PM   #3
Super Moderator

If the firing pin isn't hitting the rounds then it's either the firing pin spring or the firing pin itself. You're going to have to break it down and check it out.
roketdoc and cousinmark like this.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:54 PM   #4

I was thinking that :-)

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
If the firing pin isn't hitting the rounds then it's either the firing pin spring or the firing pin itself. You're going to have to break it down and check it out.
...It was bugging me so I took things down a little further, the firing pin looked to be intact, the spring seems to have an uneven compression at one end (chamber side) a little off center? I reversed it and reassembled. I have a firing pin spring that came with the Wolff recoil spring, looking at it it's much larger than the Kimber so I'll get a Kimber replacement. I'll be home again tomorrow so I may need to do a follow up range visit and see if she works properly with the spring reversed :-)
Old 03-14-2016, 08:03 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Mark, you can test the gun at home. Put the gun together and place a pencil, eraser down into the barrel. Aim the gun up in the air and pull the trigger. If the firing pin is working it will launch the pencil out of the barrel and up into the air.
Dude22, cousinmark and Migg48 like this.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:56 PM   #6

thanks Chuck :-)

...I guess she's working cause the pencil goes flying :-)
Chuck43 and Loki1967 like this.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:23 PM   #7

...squirrels gone :-)

...the antibiotics are kicking in so that's good, feeling tons better :-)
...ran by the range to confirm I'd reassembled things correctly, looks like I did all right :-) 50 Fiocchi and 50 American Eagle, only my aim was in question? The Micro ran 100% :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (1.58 MB, 3 views)
Hoffbrew likes this.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:26 PM   #8
Super Moderator

I'm glad to see you got things sorted out and are back in business.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:31 PM   #9

What gun? If a Kimber II check the thread with the test for Swartz safety being out time. If you loosened your grip a bit the grip safety will allow the trigger to come to the rear and hammer to fall but not get the plunger up high enough to to push block past the firing pin. Thus blocked and no strike on the primer.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:46 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mike240 View Post
What gun? If a Kimber II check the thread with the test for Swartz safety being out time. If you loosened your grip a bit the grip safety will allow the trigger to come to the rear and hammer to fall but not get the plunger up high enough to to push block past the firing pin. Thus blocked and no strike on the primer.

It's a Micro Carry Mike.