New 380 Micro CDP LG - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2016, 09:17 PM   #1

Question New 380 Micro CDP LG

Traded up to a 380 Micro CDP LG.. was so excited, clean as a whistle, a beautiful gun. The model I have wanted for a while!

Went to the range with Hornady 380 Auto 90 gr XTP and jammed 2x's per magazine full. Jammed (fte) at least 4 times in front of my wife who cringed when she found out how much this little sucker cost!

Put in some plain old PMC 380 target rounds went through 100 rounds and no issues....

Tried some Sig Sauer 90gr JHP V-Crown Hollow Points and no issues shooting about 14 of them (leaving me 6 for the mag)....

Anyone else have this issue with Hornadays XTPs ?

Also, and here is the fun issue I had on day 1... the slide release / take down pin fell out while I was shooting! Embarrassing for a gun worth $ 1000+ wtf! Its on the floor, the range captain had to get a broom and to sweep it back to me.

Anyone have these issues ? Are they to be expected or is something wrong ? I did a take down of the gun and put it back together and it seemed to work fine - watched a video first.

I'm not a gun expert... but geeze.... my S&W / M&P 40 and 38 spcl nor my Springfield XD's never had issues like these all for less than half the cost.
rclbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-21-2016, 09:45 PM   #2

There have been several reports of slide stops that didn't stay put, Kimber has sent out replacement stops or had the owners send the guns in for a complete going over. They'll make it right.
...I haven't had any problems with Hornady or Fiocchi 90gr XTPs so not sure on that. If the mags are new you may want to let them sit loaded to soften up the springs? Post back with what Kimber says.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:16 AM   #3

Originally Posted by rclbud View Post
Traded up to a 380 Micro CDP LG..
It never too late to set sail in another trading direction..,
but that was a well thought out and presented first post.
Cucamonga kid likes this.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2016, 06:01 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois rclbud, the slide stop has a spring that sits under it to hold it in. Check to see that it's still in place, people not familiar with it have been know to lose them while cleaning their guns.
2sharp2 and Cucamonga kid like this.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:39 AM   #5

rclbud, welcome to the site from Tennessee! Chuck made a good point about the spring under the takedown lever.
Cucamonga kid likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:13 AM   #6

Welcome, rclbud, glad to have you on the forum. You have a great little Kimber, but some of them need broke-in despite the belief otherwise. Then again some have problems that need to be addressed by Kimber customer service and perhaps a trip back to Yonker-ville.

From my experience with my Micro:
- break-in is from 300-500 rounds
- Kimber likes to be clean and lubed wetter when new
- break-in with FMJ round ball ammo that is 95-100gn
- Use defensive ammo after the break-in period.
- Buy extra recoil springs; you will need them

I can't help with that slide release problem you had, as I never experienced that with mine. That ain't right?!

My advice is to clean and relube carefully and use the ammo I (and others) have used to complete the break-in. Report back.

Again, the Kimber Micro is a great little gun. You have a purchased a desirable model. In time it will perform well for you. You are just not home yet.

Lastly, You are absolutely correct that an expensive Kimber should be expected to perform perfectly out of the box. Life can be frustrating sometimes.
Trex, Cucamonga kid and rclbud like this.
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:14 PM   #7

First, Welcome to the forum. Now...thanks for the range report on your new Micro. I have a new Micro Carry 380 Raptor and had one FTF in the first 50 rounds of 95gr. FMJ ammo. I also experienced the slide stop coming out of position after about 100 rounds. The spring Chuck43 referred to was in place and I didn't have the problem again. I suspect that MAYBE when I cleaned and oiled the gun before its first time at the range, I might not have fully seated the slide lock (that's not like me, but who knows at my age!). If it happens again, I'll report it and contact Kimber. Is it possible the same thing might have happened to you? Did you clean and oil the gun prior to your first firing it?

One more point that has been echoed here and in my case, from Kimber...the Micro's need to be broken in with 95gr (minimum) ball ammo. When I talked to Kimber, they went so far as to say I need to use American made ammo as I suspect that some of the foreign ammo may not be to spec. They also suggested 200 - 300 rounds would be adequate for break in, but there are other opinions on that and frankly, the gun will "tell you" when the break in is done. Also, I plan to replace the recoil spring after the break in even though that will be well short of the normal replacement period. In fact, Kimber sent me a recoil spring gratis to keep me happy.

I'm not sure any of this is helpful, but these little Micros are made to such a tight tolerance, that the factory break in procedures are necessary to "loosen them up". Let us know how your next range visit goes and enjoy your new toy.
rclbud likes this.
OGCA - Life Member
Cybercycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:24 PM   #8

I was told by a customer service rep that the micro required no break in, go figure.
Cybercycle likes this.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:31 PM   #9

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
I was told by a customer service rep that the micro required no break in, go figure.
I am not surprised...did the CSR speak "bad" English?... I have been able to deal with one specific CSR and she seems to be honest about issues like break in. Her name is Reni and she isn't afraid to coordinate with Kimber engineers or others about getting answers to my questions. I must have gotten lucky getting her on my first call to Kimber...which I can't say about some other firearm manufacturers (are you listening Savage?)!
OGCA - Life Member
Cybercycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:26 PM   #10

image.jpeg

Tags
hornady, release, slide