A Tale of two Micros - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2016, 09:43 PM   #1

A Tale of two Micros

My wife doesn't usually get overly excited at the local gun shop. She's got a strong preference for her well used Sig Mosquito. Until she saw the Kimber Micro Saphire.

I mentioned failure to return to battery and truncated bullet issues in another thread, and that both issues resolved themselves pretty quickly.

Up to this point, my carry preferences were DAO semi's without safeties, but I really kinda liked this little Micro of the wife's. It's a classy little thing. My preferred carry has been a Sig P290 but occasionally I would like something smaller, at least that's the excuse I'm going with. I bought the wife a holster for the Micro and my Sig wouldn't even begin to fit into it. Imagine my surprise when I looked up the size specs on the two pistols and the respective manufacturers are trying to tell me they are darn near identical. No way!

When I put the P290 and the Wife's Micro in front of me, I can see that perhaps the Micro Sapphire width is measured at the widest point across an ambi safety. I'm also seeing that the Micro length must be from the tip of the beavertail to the muzzle. Aha! I knew the MIcro was smaller. Now I want one. I probably need one. I know I deserve one. So I got one! A Micro Stainless Rosewood.

After two range trips and perhaps 200 rounds, I had experienced a single failure to eject, zero return to battery issues, zero truncated bullet issues. These are nicely crafted pieces, My wife has enjoyed hers and I've enjoyed what few rounds I've put thru mine. To anybody considering one, I would encourage you to look past some of the negative reviews and expect to run some rounds thru it before it smooths out.
Chuck43, Oreste, glokrok and 5 others like this.
DocHolliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-26-2016, 10:15 PM   #2

Love to see a couple of pictures, great story
Snake15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 03:35 AM   #3

Congratulations, 2 new additions to the family. His and Her's Micros, I like it.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2016, 05:44 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Congratulations on the new Micro Carry Doc. The idea of you and your wife carrying the same gun is a good one, the ability to share magazines and intimate familiarity of each others weapons is a big plus.
glokrok likes this.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:41 AM   #5

Originally Posted by Snake15 View Post
Love to see a couple of pictures, great story
Yeah, if there aren't pix, it's didn't happen! (Isn't that a forum rule? )
2sharp2 and glokrok like this.
Ice-and-Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:53 AM   #6

Originally Posted by SnowTao View Post
Attached Images
File Type: gif image.gif (939.1 KB, 7 views)
Ice-and-Snow and Snake15 like this.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:23 AM   #7

Originally Posted by SnowTao View Post
Always has been always will be a rule. Just ask the tinman.
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:25 AM   #8

Im happy for you Doc. Down here in Hot humid SETX a light Micro comes in real handy. I really like mine! The Stainless Rosewood is a beautiful choice!
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:54 PM   #9

Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
My wife doesn't usually get overly excited at the local gun shop. She's got a strong preference for her well used Sig Mosquito. Until she saw the Kimber Micro Saphire.

I mentioned failure to return to battery and truncated bullet issues in another thread, and that both issues resolved themselves pretty quickly.

Up to this point, my carry preferences were DAO semi's without safeties, but I really kinda liked this little Micro of the wife's. It's a classy little thing. My preferred carry has been a Sig P290 but occasionally I would like something smaller, at least that's the excuse I'm going with. I bought the wife a holster for the Micro and my Sig wouldn't even begin to fit into it. Imagine my surprise when I looked up the size specs on the two pistols and the respective manufacturers are trying to tell me they are darn near identical. No way!

When I put the P290 and the Wife's Micro in front of me, I can see that perhaps the Micro Sapphire width is measured at the widest point across an ambi safety. I'm also seeing that the Micro length must be from the tip of the beavertail to the muzzle. Aha! I knew the MIcro was smaller. Now I want one. I probably need one. I know I deserve one. So I got one! A Micro Stainless Rosewood.

After two range trips and perhaps 200 rounds, I had experienced a single failure to eject, zero return to battery issues, zero truncated bullet issues. These are nicely crafted pieces, My wife has enjoyed hers and I've enjoyed what few rounds I've put thru mine. To anybody considering one, I would encourage you to look past some of the negative reviews and expect to run some rounds thru it before it smooths out.
...thanks for the post Doc, welcome to the forum :-) It's always nice to see a good review. I think you're correct on your points, look forward to some follow up reviews and those pics:-)
...I would suggest ordering up some spare recoil springs. They're rated for 1000 rounds but I've had a few not quite get there? They're cheap enough and with 2 Micros you'll need them eventually.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:51 PM   #10

Here's a shot of the really close profile size between the p290 and the Micro Sapphire.

Here's a shot that might show how much slimmer the Micro is with the exception of the thickness at the ambi safety. So..with the specs from the manufacturers being so close, the Micro is sure far easier to conceal at times and I appreciate the lighter weight.

cousinmark, thanks for the heads up regarding recoil springs. I'll get some on the way.
cousinmark and Cybercycle like this.
DocHolliday is offline   Reply With Quote