Different color recoil springs for Micro Carry? Yellow? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2016, 10:36 PM   #1

Different color recoil springs for Micro Carry? Yellow?

I bought two Micro Carry Advocates and have had more issues with both guns than anyone should ever go through. I won't go into all the issues, both guns were replaced early on but continued to have issues with the replacements. Honestly, I could write a book on the issues with the Micro Carry's and internally at Kimber. I'm not trying to bash, heck I bought two of their guns. Good customer service, unfortunately quality hasn't been the greatest.

Fast forward.....a month or so apart, Kimber sent two packages of recoils springs to fix several of the issues in the replacement guns. The first set appeared to work and looked like a normal spring.

Last week I had another recoil spring sent as the other gun was also having issues. Upon receiving the springs, I noticed they were painted Yellow. One of the first Micro's had a Yellow spring and Kimber eventually replaced the entire gun.

Why paint the recoil spring yellow? Second, why would Kimber have two different model springs packaged in the same container with the same part number, SKU, etc? I think the Yellow springs are older, cannot 100% confirm. Has anyone noticed if their recoil spring was painted Yellow?

BTW, the paint does come off. That's got to be great for the internals of the gun. Here are some pics. I have an email into several folks at Kimber asking the difference.

cousinmark likes this.

Last edited by Moliver; 04-04-2016 at 10:39 PM. Reason: forgot word
Moliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-05-2016, 05:49 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Those are good questions, it could be something as simple as two different spring suppliers. I think your best bet for answers would be Kimbers customer service.

Customer Service
Toll-Free: (888) 243-4522
Hours: MF, 9 a.m.7 p.m. Eastern
Old 04-05-2016, 07:46 AM   #3

Moliver, I can't answer your question, but I do have a comment. As you may know springs of any sort (i.e. automotive use in engines valve train, suspension, even differentials) are commonly colored for various reasons. From my experience it is the spring rating. I have learned that spring length and coil size can misleading as to the actual rating and the springs other important attributes. So does the yellow mean 8lbs from that manufacturer. I will guess so, but don't know for sure. Did Kimber change the source of their springs? Only Kimber will know and if a new source uses a different color for the same spring rating. On the other hand did Kimber change the specified spring rating in the Micros?

When I get the chance I plan to check the color of the spring in mine and also on the unopened box of springs I ordered from Kimber back in February.
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2016, 07:53 AM   #4

The recoil spring in my new SS Ultra Carry II is yellow. It must be a new thing at Kimber.

It's a 9mm, I forgot to say.
fifthgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:09 AM   #5

new vendor?

...I would guess the springs are coming from a new source? The packaging was already made. Someone had mentioned they received a green one a few weeks back. I know Kimber was considering options because the older ones were the cause of some issues? I think there were variances in quality? For what it's worth, my Micro has been running well with the older stocker type. No problems other than a few hang ups when my 7 round mags were new in the last 750 or so rounds.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:26 AM   #6
Super Moderator

I think this is worth mentioning again.......

Sig Sauer had similar problems when they first brought out the now ultra reliable P238 and P938. Eventually they went to a flat wire recoil springs in both models, problems solved.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:28 AM   #7

I have two micros. 1 purchased mid-November 2015 and one early December 2015. Both have springs that are not painted.
Mini Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:53 AM   #8

This isn't the first difference in parts I've seen from Kimber. They had to replace the original grips. The new ones came with an ambidextrous saftery cutout on the right grip, however safety is only on the left side. All other Micro Advocates do not have the notch cutout on the right.

I'm sure they are cut at the same time as other grips for the Micro with a safety on both sides. Rather than change a template, it looks like they are now sicking to one cutout design for all Micro's. I've seen this on other left-sided safety guns. Two things could be happening. The guys milling the grips forgot to change the template or they have been instructed to use the same cutout, with different designs, to save a few extra pennies. Either way, it looks unfinished and the cutout has no functional value on the right side.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:07 PM   #9

To add more Kimber humor, they can't tell me why some are painted and others are not. I received a package today of 2 packages, both with the yellow springs.

How can they not know why some are yellow and others are regular springs? If they did change springs to correct issues, why wouldn't they update the packaging with new part numbers?

One more call into Kimber on Monday. I'm 4 months into having issues and unanswered questions regarding the Micro. This is not what I expected when ordering. Very disappointed in the quality and lack of communication.
Old 04-09-2016, 05:37 AM   #10
Super Moderator

How can they not know........

You have to remember that the customer service department is located in Kalispell, Montana while the factory is in Yonkers, New York.

Tags
micro 380 yellow spring

Search tags for this page
kimber micro 380 recoil springs
kimber micro 380 spring guide rod
kimber micro 9 paint issues

kimber micro carry recoil spring

kimber micro recoil spring replacement

modify sig sauer to kimber micro
new sig spring on kimber micro
springs for the kimber micro 9
Click on a term to search for related topics.