Like Tree10Likes
  • 7 Post By fifthgear
  • 1 Post By cousinmark
  • 1 Post By Donald
  • 1 Post By fifthgear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2016, 02:02 PM   #1

4-21-2016 Range Report-Micro Carry

Back from the range after my first testing of my new SS Micro Carry 380.

I go through a ritual with my Ultras that is controversial but it works for me and I won't stop doing it. I polish the feed ramps on all of my automatics from day one and most of the time a quick chamber throat polish. I like to use a pound or few heavier recoil springs on the short guns but in this case my #11 springs are not in yet.

I tested four different rounds:
1. PMC Bronze. I like them for a target round because they are so clean and shiny. They aren't super clean burning but not any worse than the Blazer Brass or Winchester white box. They are 90 Grain ball nose FMJ.
2. Winchester white box target. I've had great luck in all my Kimbers with them and although dirty burning they always load and go bang for me. These are 95 grain flat nose FMJ.
3. Remington Golden Saber. I use these for defense rounds in all my guns. I like them for 1911's because of the rounded hollow point resembling the ball nose 1911's were designed to shoot. These are the 102 grain JHP.
4. Remington Ultimate Defense. I picked these up when I bought the Micro because they didn't have the Golden Sabers. These have identical bullet shape and the nickel coated brass case like the Golden Sabers but they are made especially for compact hand guns. They say on the box..."maximize your compact handgun's effectiveness." hmm. They are 102 grain.

To make a long story short I fired a little over a hundred rounds and the gun functioned beautifully with two hick-ups. While sling-shotting the first round from the magazine twice it failed to go into battery. A little nudge did the trick. Never a failure to load and fire except those two. I had pre-loaded my only magazine when I bought it and my experience was that the 6th round was extremely tight in the mag. I'm wondering if the 11 pound recoil springs I have ordered would have pushed it on into battery but that is nether here nor there at this point. Regardless I have a lot of rounds to fire when I get my 7 round mags in and the 11 pounders so we'll see.

My shooting station was in yards so I set the target at 8 yards. My first impression was that the trigger pull was a little bit harder than what I am used to on a Kimber but for a deep conceal weapon that could end up in peculiar places I am not disappointed with that. After all, no mouse gun is going to be my target bullseye, trophy winning, turkey shootin, standing ovation, best in the west gun. I splattered the first few rounds low across the target getting familiar with shooting it but actually at 24 ft I am satisfied with the results and it did settle down for me. After the picture I continued to shread the target and even did some 15 yarders that at least most shots were able to hit the head. Nice gun, great having a safety, the lock back on empty, and low felt recoil. It's a keeper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg targetMicro.jpg (1.80 MB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 380ammo.jpg (1.12 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Micro380.jpg (1.80 MB, 4 views)
Chuck43, Hoffbrew, Markie and 4 others like this.
fifthgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-21-2016, 02:35 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Nice range report it sounds like your Micro Carry is coming along nicely.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:59 PM   #3

nice to see a good report :-)

I'm glad she ran well for you, and some nice shooting! The 11# spring will be good to have if you use any +P ammo. My Micro seems to like anything 95gr FMJ with a rounded bullet for the standard pressure stuff.
fifthgear likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2016, 03:12 PM   #4

Nice report on a great looking Micro. Thanks for the detailed info. From where did you order the 11# springs? Wolf? Sig? Are they flat or round spring? Keep us posted on your experience with the 7-rounders and the 11# springs once you install them.
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:45 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Donald View Post
Nice report on a great looking Micro. Thanks for the detailed info. From where did you order the 11# springs? Wolf? Sig? Are they flat or round spring? Keep us posted on your experience with the 7-rounders and the 11# springs once you install them.
They are just old school round springs from Wolff. They are a standard spring for a Colt Mustang which the Kimber is just sort of a clone of I guess. They offer an extra power spring (XP) in 12 pound for the Mustang but I think 11# with just a little more speed on the slide return and a tinch less speed on the rearward/extraction seems to suit the short guns pretty well. It will be my first experience with the Micro so we'll see and I will let you know how it pans out.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:09 PM   #6

Great report fifthgear, glad hear your satisfied with the results of your Micro Carry.
JC45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:53 PM   #7

Originally Posted by fifthgear View Post
They are just old school round springs from Wolff. They are a standard spring for a Colt Mustang which the Kimber is just sort of a clone of I guess. They offer an extra power spring (XP) in 12 pound for the Mustang but I think 11# with just a little more speed on the slide return and a tinch less speed on the rearward/extraction seems to suit the short guns pretty well. It will be my first experience with the Micro so we'll see and I will let you know how it pans out.
I understand and concur with your reasoning. Keep us posted on the 11# spring's functioning. You may wish to use the same 6 round mags that you are now using when you trial the new 11# spring, so as to not introduce another variable.
fifthgear likes this.
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:43 AM   #8

Fifth gear, which rounds failed to go into battery. Were they both one brand ?
Old 04-22-2016, 07:53 AM   #9

Originally Posted by JC45 View Post
Fifth gear, which rounds failed to go into battery. Were they both one brand ?
One was PMC, one WWB. I had my doubts about the flat nose Winchesters to start with but the PCM surprised me. I really do write it off to a new tight magazine and that first round was really barley making the trip with all the sling shots.
JC45 likes this.

Last edited by fifthgear; 04-22-2016 at 08:28 AM. Reason: I get my PMCs and my PCMs mixed up
Old 04-22-2016, 08:18 AM   #10

Sounds like it will work itself out. Once in a while with target ammo you get a round that gives you some trouble.