Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By cousinmark
  • 1 Post By Markie
  • 1 Post By fifthgear
  • 1 Post By TNman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2016, 07:54 AM   #1

Micro .380 Chambring Issue

Need expert advice please. I have a Micro 380 and typically use Speer Lawman, PMC, Lehigh, Federal, or Hornady ammo.

Issue: The slide return is sluggish when chambering a newly loaded magazine.

Details: Once all rounds in the mag have been fired the slide locks back just fine. After inserting a new loaded mag the slide is sluggish when returning to the firing position after either releasing the slide lock to chamber the round or when chambering a round by pulling the slide back and letting it snap forward.

Several times I have had to slap the back of the slide to complete the re-chambering cycle or drop the mag and start over. I also get at least one failure-to-feed every 3 or 4 mags. The pistol is cleaned & lubed after each trip to the range. Is the issue the recoil spring or something else?
TNman is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-27-2016, 07:57 AM   #2

Sounds like it. Call CS and they'll send you a new spring.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:24 AM   #3
Super Moderator

How many rounds do you have through the gun and how are you releasing the slide, are you using the slide stop or slingshoting it?

Old 04-27-2016, 08:24 AM   #4

I had same issue when I bought mine. Send it back. They will fix it. Not a major problem. Now my is flawless and my edc.
Good luck.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:05 AM   #5

Good chance the recoil spring is the culprit. They're rated for 1000 rounds but I had one kink up at around 750ish. Do you have a round count on yours?
As Chuck eluded to dropping the slide to chamber the first round doesn't give you as much compression on the spring as slingshotting it. That plus an aging spring would seemingly explain it being slower.
Kimber will probably send you a new recoil spring for free but if you order the 3 pack you may want to go ahead and get a pack of slide stop springs and firing pin springs too. I believe the lowest shipping Kimber has is around $12, kill a few birds with one stone.
Chuck43 likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:44 PM   #6

Do you ever use snap caps? I use them to cycle rounds through the gun without the bang, bang.
RugerLuger likes this.
Participant of the Southeast Asia War Games, 1971.
Markie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:47 AM   #7

TNman You might want to read my posts in the Micro thread titled "Is It Really That Bad.." concerning my ongoing issue, quite similar to yours. My posts start on Page 12. Oh, and Lawman did not work for me, nor did the other five FMJ brands and three JHP brands. Good luck!
GoldFalcon06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:02 AM   #8

I have had a few problems with manually chambering the first round. My initial thought was a new tight magazine. When firing it cycles like a dream. Trying Sig Sauer helped because they are so smooth. But under close examination it appears to be more of the rough spot where the barrel should almost reach the locking lug and groove. I will further investigate when I get time. Meanwhile I put a dab of high tech grease on the barrel locking lug and grove and I can't get it to repeat the failure going in to battery yet. We'll see, it could have some rough edges or possibley the non swiveling slide stop pin hole catching. Any ideas?
TNman likes this.
fifthgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:56 AM   #9

Thanks for all of the good insight. I forgot to mention I had fired 460 rounds using mostly Speer Lawman and PMC. The Lawman brand works great in my Sig P320 9mm so I thought it would be great for .380. Maybe not. I will try some different ammo and call Kimber CS. The PMC ammo is much dirtier than Lawman so that is off the table for me.
cousinmark likes this.
TNman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:07 AM   #10

Originally Posted by TNman View Post
Thanks for all of the good insight. I forgot to mention I had fired 460 rounds using mostly Speer Lawman and PMC. The Lawman brand works great in my Sig P320 9mm so I thought it would be great for .380. Maybe not. I will try some different ammo and call Kimber CS. The PMC ammo is much dirtier than Lawman so that is off the table for me.
...I had tried some of the PMC "Bronze" when I first got my Micro. My pistol didn't like it, and like you, I found it to be filthy. Had carbon soot on my hand after a few rounds and it looked like I changed a tire after a box of 50 :-(
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote