firing pin block? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2016, 08:36 AM   #1

firing pin block?

As I had a "click no bang" a few days ago I've been wondering about it. Could the pin block have been a factor? The primer of the round had no mark on it? With the Micros I believe the rear sight needs to be removed to get the pin block out, so it's unlike many 1911s. From the underside of the slide the block can be depressed and with mine when it's depressed it seems to keep the pin from moving forward. What I've noticed though is if it's depressed and I remove the stop plate the spring and pin aren't captured? Looking at the top profile of the block it has two indents, almost hourglass shaped, I've also noticed it will rotate and have tried several positions. I guess the question would be should the notch on the block be visible or should the notch wind up covered by the center portion of the underside of the slide?
The same cartridge wound up failing to load properly in the next mag but it and about 75 other rounds subsequently did fine?
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-10-2016, 09:49 AM   #2

Interesting. If 75 subsequent rounds fired, I would not think it was the block. However without an indentation on the primer at all, it would appear the block would be the issue. Did you call KIMBER and see what they say?
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:59 AM   #3

... I'm going to try calling Kimber this afternoon and see if I can get through. I'm thinking my question may be better answered by a gunsmith or knowledgeable Micro owner than a CS rep? We'll see :-)

...update, I did find some info on the Colt Mustang, same disconnector. On the Mustang the block is released and pin freed when the block is pushed up by the disconnector. If the slide is off or locked open the firing pin SHOULD NOT move. That confirms something is wrong, unfortunately the article I saw makes no mention of how to position (rotate) the block properly?

Last edited by cousinmark; 05-10-2016 at 11:25 AM.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:17 AM   #4

Yes a gun smith would be best. Good luck.
cousinmark likes this.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:26 AM   #5

How slow were you pulling the trigger? There's a fine point where the hammer will drop before the pin safety is cleared all the way. It happen to my Wife twice with my Micro. She was shooting for groups and was very slow on the trigger. Snapping the shot off has never failed to fire over 700 rounds. But yeah I know exactly what you had happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cousinmark likes this.
Albert.Cairns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:11 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Albert.Cairns View Post
How slow were you pulling the trigger? There's a fine point where the hammer will drop before the pin safety is cleared all the way. It happen to my Wife twice with my Micro. She was shooting for groups and was very slow on the trigger. Snapping the shot off has never failed to fire over 700 rounds. But yeah I know exactly what you had happen.

As far as pace, a few seconds between shots and I'm working on gently "squeezing" the trigger?
With this though it must have rotated to the wrong place when I changed the firing pin spring a few months ago or be flawed? Again the firing pin will move with the slide off and the block uncompressed. Unless the block is pushed in the pin should be locked so I've got a problem. I did get right through to Kimber (that's never happened). The CS guy said they were not allowed to discuss anything beyond basic field stripping and I could tell he wasn't familiar with it anyways. They're going to set up an RMA for me in case I can't get it in order. I'm going to fart around with it more later. There should be a point in the rotation where when it's compressed the pin and spring can be inserted and when the block is released it will capture the pin unless something is broken on the block.
On a side note I asked about the yellow recoil springs that have been showing up. He said he believed they were "enhanced" to help with slides not returning to battery. He didn't know if they were rated higher # wise though?
Old 05-10-2016, 12:53 PM   #7

...thinking about it?

When this pistol was sent to Yonkers for her "spa day" I had the night sights installed so the original rear sight had been removed. After her return the "click no bang" thing happened a few times, that's what prompted me to change the firing pin spring. Now I'm wondering if the block was the problem in the first place and had gotten misaligned when the sight was off?
Old 05-10-2016, 02:47 PM   #8

I'll have to take mine apart and check it too. It's never happen to me but twice to the Wife. (She does have better trigger control than I do) but it only happen when she very very slowly pulled the trigger. A standard trigger pull won't do it. It would be interesting for some micro owners to pull as slow as possible and see the results they get.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:24 PM   #9

better safe than sorry

Easy enough to check Albert, the firing pin shouldn't be able to move enough to hit the primer unless the safety block is depressed. I can push the hammer end of my firing pin with a punch and see it pop out the other side every time?
With mine the "click no bang" has only happened 2 or 3 times total and only this once since I replaced the firing pin spring about 300 rounds ago.
After toying with it some more and trying to rotate the block to alternate positions no luck? It's frustrating and I guess I'll need to find a box :-) but I'm glad I found the problem out this way.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:42 PM   #10

I've tried that and yes it doesn't move out the end until the block is pushed up. But I'm curious just where in the trigger pull it releases the pin block and if the hammer can drop before it's completely released. When my wife target shoots (bullseye) it takes her forever to get a shot off. Very slow steady pull and she's accurate. She can make it drop on the safety block, I can't or haven't yet, it goes bang every time I pull the trigger. Like I said it would be interesting to see how many micro owners might be able to duplicate the situation.

Search tags for this page
describe the fireing pin block on a kimber micro 9
do kimber 1911 have a firing pin bock
kimber firing pin block
kimber firing pin safety
kimber firing pin safety block

kimber micro 9 firing pin block

kimber micro firing pin block
kimber ultra carry firing pin block
Click on a term to search for related topics.