Custom Work? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2016, 10:00 AM   #1

Custom Work?

Hi, I'm new to the forums. Last week I purchased an Advocate and have, so far, ran 300rnds through it. I've experienced all the things that people have reported with their brand new Micro's, several FTF and FTE, and the most prolific, the slide not returning fully to battery after a magazine change, by using the slide stop. I spoke with Kimber this morning and was told that I should be pulling the slide back and releasing it to chamber the new round and should not be using the slide stop to release the slide.

I thought I'd share that bit of info.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has had any custom work done to their Micro? I'd like to have the front strap checkered and refinished in black. I'm looking for suggestions for a shop to do this.

Thanks, ck.
cousinmark likes this.
c_kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-17-2016, 10:16 AM   #2

Hey ck, welcome to KT. Glad to hear you're not cutting and running on your Micro :-) If you hang in there she'll probably settle in. And yup, you get a little more zing slingshoting the slide as opposed to using the slide stop. You should get a three pack of the recoil springs as they can not quite last the 1000 rounds they're rated for, especially if you shoot any +P ammo. On the front strap I haven't seen anything other than a tape. I know VZ Grips offers it in a few colors.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:17 AM   #3

CKyle, welcome to the site from Tennessee! Full disclosure I don't own a Micro but I have fired a Micro Stainless. I found they really need more lube during break in than you would think, I mean pretty wet, they benefit from good ammo.

Have not seen anyone here having any custom work done on the Micro most are just trying for 100% function.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2016, 11:17 AM   #4

I stopped at the range coming back from lunch and ran 100 more rounds through her. She ran almost perfectly, with one FTE/stovepipe.

I think she's running pretty good and will only continue to get better.

I've already ordered the 3-pack of recoil springs and two more extended magazines.

It's been more than 15 years since I've picked up a weapon, and I'm having to relearn how to be accurate. Right now, I can shoot about a 6" group at 7 yards very consistently; but the group is also to the lower right of the target. I haven't figured out what I'm doing to cause that, grip, finger position, trigger squeeze, etc. The other thing is I cannot clearly see the front sight post, to the point where it's almost as fuzzy and gray as the rear sight. I'm sure that is contributing to my poor accuracy.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:23 AM   #5

Originally Posted by c_kyle View Post
I stopped at the range coming back from lunch and ran 100 more rounds through her. She ran almost perfectly, with one FTE/stovepipe.

I think she's running pretty good and will only continue to get better.

I've already ordered the 3-pack of recoil springs and two more extended magazines.

It's been more than 15 years since I've picked up a weapon, and I'm having to relearn how to be accurate. Right now, I can shoot about a 6" group at 7 yards very consistently; but the group is also to the lower right of the target. I haven't figured out what I'm doing to cause that, grip, finger position, trigger squeeze, etc. The other thing is I cannot clearly see the front sight post, to the point where it's almost as fuzzy and gray as the rear sight. I'm sure that is contributing to my poor accuracy.
Maybe this chart will help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (103.7 KB, 12 views)

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

Old 05-17-2016, 11:25 AM   #6

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
Maybe this chart will help.
That's great. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:29 AM   #7

Also, Kimber has quoted $122.45 to install the ambidextrous safety, which the Advocate doesn't have. I'm left-handed and mostly adapt pretty well; but the ambi-safety would be useful.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:41 AM   #8

Also, Kimber has quoted $122.45 to install the ambidextrous safety, which the Advocate doesn't have. I'm left-handed and mostly adapt pretty well; but the ambi-safety would be useful.
If that price includes the cost of the ambidextrous safety then I guess it is not to bad. However if that is just the labor then seems high plus the trouble of sending the pistol back to the mothership.

Just for comparison my CDP Ultra already had an extended ambidextrous safety but I wanted a "short" ambi safety. My LGS had the Kimber part hanging on the wall, I paid my $19.99 plus tax and they installed it while I waited about 10 min. and I was on my way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Short Ambi Safety.jpg (2.19 MB, 5 views)

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

Old 05-17-2016, 11:51 AM   #9

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
If that price includes the cost of the ambidextrous safety then I guess it is not to bad. However if that is just the labor then seems high plus the trouble of sending the pistol back to the mothership.

Just for comparison my CDP Ultra already had an extended ambidextrous safety but I wanted a "short" ambi safety. My LGS had the Kimber part hanging on the wall, I paid my $19.99 plus tax and they installed it while I waited about 10 min. and I was on my way.
That price quote included everything, part, labor and return shipping. The person I spoke with said Kimber is not selling just the ambi kit; but would install it. Also, I asked about checkering the front strap while the gun was there and she said they would not do that. Basically, the custom shop wont do anything to the micro other than install sights and the safety.
2sharp2 likes this.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:07 PM   #10

If you don't have night sights you may want to check on having them installed at the same time if you send her in for the safety.
2sharp2 likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page
installing ambi safety to kimber micro

kimber micro ambi safety add on

kimber micro ambi safety install
Click on a term to search for related topics.