Arland? HEY Arland!! (range report) - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2016, 10:00 AM   #1

Arland? HEY Arland!! (range report)

So, FINALLY got to the range! Had the car in (across the street from American Sharpshooter) for a recall (which ended up being two recalls and two new front tires).

(Last time shooting was with Gary -- Insta-Gator -- what? A YEAR ago, maybe!?)

So, y'all may remember I have a problem (well -- ARLAND says I have a problem! ) with my grip. Cause he filmed me up at his range in TN and after EVERY fire, I released my support hand and re-established a grip.

Watched lots of vids and read stuff... (As I remember, Chuck and several of y'all gave suggestions.) (Or was that: y'all pointed and laughed? I can't remember! ) I let all that info 'perk' in my brain for a year (that's my excuse for not getting to the range -- and I'm stickin' to it!). (Cause I have no other believable excuse!)

So.

Ran 100 rounds through the Micro, and around 40 through the S&W 9mm. (By the time I got to the 9mm, my wrist was sore and tired... I had planned to run 100 rnds through the 9mm, too!)

(DID have to stop midway through the 100 rnds in the Micro and add a bit of oil to the slide/barrel... Had 3-4 FTLs; was pretty pleased that I was able to rack, dump the problem round and keep going, pretty quickly and well... The oil fixed it -- the Micro ran sweet as I could ask the rest of the time. But of course - I BROUGHT the oil, cause I knew I might need it. Forgot the stupid q-tips though... brought rags, so it went okay.)

(Funny. Well maybe funny? I was QUITE surprised at how "loud" the .380 was... been a while. (And yes, good ear plugs inside good ear-cups; I have very sensitive hearing.) Well, and that guy with the .45 four bays away was abrading my nerves while I was setting everything out... But he (and his wife who laughed at me for flinching when he fired) left shortly thereafter, so I had the whole range to myself!)

I am quite pleased -- I almost never released my support hand -- I was working on the 'push the active hand forward and pull the support hand back; lining up my thumbs; keeping the gun held firmly against the recoil (that one brass that landed on my shoulder.... owee-burn-y! ... was cause I let the Micro rise up a good bit).

I am happy with my swapping the mags -- I need more Micro mags: only 3 extended and the one 'regular.' I have 7 for the 9mm! And ooh ooh ooh! If y'all DON"T have the Baby UpLula for your .380 -- BRILLIANT! Took me just seconds to reload the four mags! Zip, zip, zip and done! Also have the regular for the 9mm/.45s. But the swaps went: drop out (on the bench), pick up (I had 'em lined up on the edge) and seat, rack, and fire.

Tried some double-taps. (Reeeeeally NOT good at reacquiring aim with a speed I would feel good about! BUT I didn't release my support hand...) Tried some 'bring the gun up to aim' (from pointing down). (Not terrible, but sure not good!)

First pic is the Micro. (Reminder: I'm a leftie.) The diagonal line across his throat was my first mag: took me a sec to stop flinching when I fired. ("head" shots at 10 yds) The pattern to the right between the two "9"s was second mag (8 yds). The line 'up' from the bottom 8 was trying to reaquire faster... (and at 8 yds -- I picked the 8 to remind me of 8, yes?). The circular set to the right of 'his' head was also 10 yards, towards the end, when the 'weird' new grip was feeling better.. Crap around the square in the top left was me trying to double tap -- (I'm pretty sure some (many?) rounds went right past the target.) (So, I probably killed the guy eventually... But I was working more on my grip than aim -- my aim is usually very good!)

Second pic is the 9mm. The torn holes were the first mag. (Oh, added later: at 10 yards.) Near the top '7' was my "neck" aim. (Also 10 yds.) (Fleah. Tired wrist and the 9mm is heavier... also my excuse!) The ones around the 9s were just random shooting. (Mostly at 8 yds -- cool computer-y device: you set your distance, hit enter and 'go,' and it runs your target out to the distance you set!) Didn't try double taps or raising to aim... (Really, by then, I just wanted to use up the 7 mags and go home! {wink} )

Still, I'm really pleased with the 'weird new' grip! By the end of the .380 shooting, I was pretty comfortable. And with the 9mm (extended mag too), it was even easier to hold the grip and not 're-set' each time.

NEXT time... well, next time will be training my friends/neighbors in their first trip to the range -- but the next time *I* go for myself, I think I'll have grip AND aim!

El
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Micro-2016-2.jpg (777.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 9mm-1.jpg (779.6 KB, 10 views)
Chuck43, Markie and Cybercycle like this.

Last edited by Ice-and-Snow; 05-20-2016 at 05:45 PM.
Ice-and-Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-19-2016, 11:18 AM   #2

I'm Honored Outstanding My Friend

I guess I couldn't miss reading this post. WOW, has it been that long since we went to the range? Time sure flies! We need to get our ducks in a row and line Gator up and I'll make a road trip down to shoot with you guys.

I don't know if releasing your grip is a "problem" more just something I noticed that affected your follow up shot time.

Tone up those arm muscles. When I shoot a lot and add in some +p 45 ammo my wrist gets tired and sore also.

I am far from an expert but I am happy you found my advice helpful.
I think regular practice is the key. I do OK killing paper targets.

I firmly believe that you are working to hard!

I keep telling the new members to lube the hell out of there little Micro's but they won't listen to me!! lol

Looks like I'm going to have to buy a Micro and show them how it's done. lol (you know any excuse to buy a pistol)
Chuck43 likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger

Last edited by 2sharp2; 05-19-2016 at 11:22 AM.
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:52 PM   #3
Super Moderator

El, next time you go shooting start with the 9mm and then shoot the .380. It's easier to shoot the heavier caliber first while your fresh then change to the lighter caliber as you tire, you'll get more rounds in without killing yourself.
glokrok and JC45 like this.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:26 PM   #4

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
WOW, has it been that long since we went to the range? Time sure flies!
Dja notice how it goes faster the older we get? I HATE THAT!! (Jiminy crickets! How can it POSSIBLY be mid MAY already!?!? It was just Thanksgiving last week, wasn't it?!?! Sheesh!)

We need to get our ducks in a row and line Gator up and I'll make a road trip down to shoot with you guys.
We really do! What fun! And I really like that range!

I don't know if releasing your grip is a "problem" more just something I noticed that affected your follow up shot time.

Tone up those arm muscles. When I shoot a lot and add in some +p 45 ammo my wrist gets tired and sore also.
Well I can partly blame the sore wrist on having -- as Dr Eades describes it -- gone 'face-down in the carbs' this past weekend! I spent most of Sat in insane hysteria -- I went to make switch plates (cause I'm down to my last 16), and when I pulled down the "vat" of switches I'd spent some $1,700 on in 2015 -- O.M.G. they weren't right! The 'prongs' (lugs?) that get bent over and have copper tabs soldered to them were on the side, not in the center... The old (no-longer-made) version had the prongs in the center! ACK! EEK! The end of the world has arrived!!

Now, when I ran out of the old ones, a salesguy even CAME to the house and went over what I was doing and identified the switch I needed, and then sent me the 53 they had on hand. (The rest of the $1,700-worth came by very slow boat from China.) And I made really excellent switch plates with those 53! But... OMG!! Were THEY different?! WHAT am I going to do?!

I will NOT try to go through my current sourcing co. again. (Those would the the folks with whom I've just started into YEAR FIVE on getting custom-made microscopes (!!) and who ordered me 1,000 superb, excellent, fit-like-a-glove LED bulbs in 2012 -- and when I re-ordered last Dec (cause I was down to, like 25)(oops.) -- had some flown in from the factory he was having make me 5,000 -- and they DIDN'T FIT RIGHT in my metal gauges!! Double ACK EEK! (Yeah, right, I 'm going to solder the contact ends of 5,000 bulbs to make them work! ACK!)

So I spent most of Sat night and Sun morning searching for another sourcing co and looking for switches and/or switch factories... Bad bad luck... Then I thought -- maybe I have one of those 53 'new' switch-plates still around? You know, to see if they WERE like the old ones? So, I started ripping into the cases of the finished gauges -- and YIPPEE, found one! And the $1,700 of switches ARE correct, and they DO work -- so I spent the rest of Sunday making 70 switch-plates -- but am still all freaked and echo-ey and rattled!

So, I made a lovely pot of spaghetti (which I had with my lovely uncured, angus-beef hotdogs (hey! Having just, 2-3 weeks ago, lost my (16-yr-old) fridge -- and lived out of coolers with dry ice for five days.... I'm still living out of the chest freezer downstairs! The new (excellent, superb, fantastic, I-love-it!) fridge fits wonderfully (but it's the *second* new one in two weeks and it TOO won't let me open the door all the way (the counter blocks it) so I can't open the doggoned drawers!! So I had the contractor in and we're going to tear out the false wall so I can move the fridge over 6-8" -- which then entails redoing the whole doggoned FLOOR! (Which I was going to do anyway, but NOT this year!!) And and and...

Face down in the lovely drugging carbs! Ahhhh. Soporific. Sedated. Not a care in the world. (Did y'all know that wheat affects the same receptor cells in the brain as heroin?!)

Anyway, when I have wheat/pasta/bread... my carpal tunnel comes ROARING back within about an hour... and my arthritis acts up for a few days... ALMOST worth the pain for the lovely drugged sedative effect of the wheat... But the more I stay away from it, the worse the reaction when I have it. {sigh}

Anyway, so you can see I'm a hysterical mess! (Should I mention that one car recall became two recalls, two new front tires, and a 4-wheel alignment? Or did I already? What's an unexpected $500 here or there! Oh, ha! The car work AND the tearing out the wall both are around $500. I expect the tiling (I DID pick out tiles I love last night) will be substantially more -- LOTS of cutting! Lots of weird corners and shapes...

I am far from an expert but I am happy you found my advice helpful. I think regular practice is the key. I do OK killing paper targets.

I firmly believe that you are working to hard!
Eh. Mebbe so. But as long as I have stock on the shelves, I'm quite calm... it's when I run down or out that I start getting stressed! And then to find I (may?) have the WRONG parts... I go nuts! (On the good side of that -- I just got some 60 metal bodies from my machinist in March. I think I'm down to 24 (so that's a LOT of sales!) -- or maybe there really ARE 13 squirreled away in a box I haven't found yet! But even if I 'm down to 24 plus a hidden 13, it's STILL pretty good sales for 3 mos!) (Now to find those missing (?) 13...)

I keep telling the new members to lube the hell out of there little Micro's but they won't listen to me!! lol
Yeah, I know. (My shameful secret is: I'm NOT even sure if I cleaned the wee thing after I shot with Gary last year!! I have no memory either way...)

Looks like I'm going to have to buy a Micro and show them how it's done. lol (you know any excuse to buy a pistol)
Oh yeah, perfectly acceptable excuse! 'course you COULD wait and get the 9mm Micro?

El

oh. p.s., the burn is from the one 'shell' (?) that didn't land and bounce off - it landed and rested there! OWEE! (I was a little bit proud that I STILL kept the muzzle of the still loaded gun pointed downrange while I was madly trying to brush the burn-ey thing off me!! Didn't know it was an real burn till this morning!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shellburn1.jpg (277.9 KB, 2 views)
Chuck43 and RugerLuger like this.

Last edited by Ice-and-Snow; 05-20-2016 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:11 PM   #5

Great report, El! Very good shooting, especially since its been a year. Chuck gave me the same advice about starting with the biggest caliber pistols first and he was right, it helped me. I like the fact that you practice fast magazine changes. That is something I rarely do. Thanks for the reminder. I need to work on that myself. Also I like that you practice fast sight acquisition starting with the gun pointing down. I really enjoyed your report. Thanks!
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:13 AM   #6

Since I picked up that used Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm for $619 awhile back I really don't have much interest in the Micro 9. You know the one it was the "ugly duckling" the seller had some big claims about the pistol and I was a little scared but decided to take a chance since the price was so good. Turned out to be every thing he said, good trigger, smooth, accurate no failures of any kind.

Ouch, pretty good mark you have there!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm.jpg (5.2 KB, 33 views)

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 01:22 AM   #7

one hell of a report! Feel like I know you a little more than before. Clean lube and shoot.
I really like this forum and the members, feels like family!
Chuck43, 2sharp2, Markie and 1 others like this.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:30 AM   #8

Originally Posted by swca View Post
one hell of a report! Feel like I know you a little more than before. Clean lube and shoot.
I really like this forum and the members, feels like family!
Great detailed report El. I agree with Tom about this forum, so glad I got my Kimber or I may not have found it. This forum is a tight knit group and I look forward to visiting every day! Especially Friday evenings.
Chuck43 and 2sharp2 like this.

Mike
NRA
Amvets Life Member
Navy Vet

Last edited by RugerLuger; 05-20-2016 at 03:35 AM.
RugerLuger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:41 PM   #9

Originally Posted by RugerLuger View Post
Great detailed report El. I agree with Tom about this forum, so glad I got my Kimber or I may not have found it. This forum is a tight knit group and I look forward to visiting every day! Especially Friday evenings.
Happy to tell y'all about my day! (Burn mark is still there... boo-hiss! Only hurts when I touch it... so DON'T TOUCH IT!)

Yeah, this forum is great -- and I attribute that to great members -- and esp. to Chuck riding herd on us: cause none of us wants to disappoint him by acting (too) bad! (I did choose to apologize to Chuck privately several times for fighting with Richard... but hey, you wave a red flag at me and I WILL charge! )
El
2sharp2 and RugerLuger like this.

Last edited by Ice-and-Snow; 05-20-2016 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:49 PM   #10

Agree...that's one great, detailed report. I almost felt I was there!
Chuck43, 2sharp2 and Markie like this.
OGCA - Life Member
Cybercycle is offline   Reply With Quote