Micro Spring - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2016, 07:09 PM   #1

Micro Spring

Hey everyone,

I haven't had any failure to feeds yet, but I'm interested in the springs everyone is using in their gun.

After reading many posts it seems that the spring is the main problem with all the micros.

Does anyone have any experience with specific springs?
I read that a #12 spring from wolff is the way to go, or maybe to fit the sig p238 spring in it.

Please let me know what springs you use, and links to purchase.

Thanks,
Tedpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-20-2016, 11:08 AM   #2

I think the real issue with the recoil spring is that people are using the slide stop as a slide release and Kimber says not to do that. Installing the Wolff 11lb or 12lb springs seems to make using the slide stop as a release possible.

We've discussed this a little in my thread about custom work. I thought I was having a problem and called Kimber. Turns out, I was causing the problem.
c_kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 12:12 PM   #3

Yup, the heavier options could in theory help if you're a "slide dropper" but have also been credited with being the fix for returning to battery and feeding issues. Although Kimber officially says there's not a break in period for the Micros I think there is and it's different from one to another? For example a new pistol that has the odd return to battery issue may not have the problem if using a heavier spring. The spring is overpowering what ever is impeding the slide. Now after 100 rounds that same snag is worn down and the gun will run fine with the stock spring. I think about 3-400 rounds with a Micro should be more than enough for things to get seated in. If you're still having problems after that send her in for fine tuning. Keep in mind some Micros are fussier about the ammo they're fed than others. They all seem to like to be CLEAN (even with the cleanest ammo over 100 rounds is pushing it) and properly lubed (thinner oil seems to do best in mine).
I've tried the Wolff 12# in mine but think the timing was thrown off, had some fail to ejects (slide closing too fast and catching the shell before it's out), I think it would be the way to go with +P ammo but haven't tried it out.
Hope that helps, post range reports if you can :-)
Spotly and Markie like this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2016, 01:58 PM   #4

I am having a similar issue with my Micro 380. The slide will not fully return to the firing position after replacing a spent mag with loaded mag. I have to manually push the slide forward to complete the cycle no matter if I use the slide release or pull and let the slide snap forward. I have fired about 500 rounds and replaced the springs at about 400 rounds. I use Speer Lawman ammo, which has been great with my 9mm pistols. Should I send it to Kimber for a checkup?
TNman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:52 PM   #5

Originally Posted by TNman View Post
I am having a similar issue with my Micro 380. The slide will not fully return to the firing position after replacing a spent mag with loaded mag. I have to manually push the slide forward to complete the cycle no matter if I use the slide release or pull and let the slide snap forward. I have fired about 500 rounds and replaced the springs at about 400 rounds. I use Speer Lawman ammo, which has been great with my 9mm pistols. Should I send it to Kimber for a checkup?
Reading this: We have a Kimber Micro 380..you say that after a mag is emptied, you reload another one and pull back on the slide that it will not go fully forward? My wife's did this a few times...I have not replaced any springs yet. I haven't had any problems when I use it, I keep it well lubed. I like to use Snap Caps in it after I clean it to see if it cycles correctly without using live ammo.
Participant of the Southeast Asia War Games, 1971.
Markie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:08 PM   #6

Originally Posted by TNman View Post
...I'd give it a try with some other ammo first. If the only thing you've used is the Speer? Maybe you'd get better function with something else. I sent my Micro in at around 700 rounds as it was having various intermittent problems. Since then the ammo is far less of an issue, problems are all but nonexistent. They seem to have fine tuned her nicely :-)
Old 05-23-2016, 04:17 AM   #7

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
...I'd give it a try with some other ammo first. If the only thing you've used is the Speer? Maybe you'd get better function with something else. I sent my Micro in at around 700 rounds as it was having various intermittent problems. Since then the ammo is far less of an issue, problems are all but nonexistent. They seem to have fine tuned her nicely :-)
I will try different ammo first but plan to call Kimber today to ask for their advise. I have used Federal, PMC and Blazer ammo but still had the same problem. The gun is cleaned and lubed after each range trip. I now have a total of 610 rounds fired.

I recently installed Heine sights and hope I didn't waste another $125 making the upgrade. I'll update the post as new info is available.

Last edited by TNman; 05-23-2016 at 04:21 AM. Reason: text
TNman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:45 AM   #8

...for what it's worth

I'd send it in if you've had the problems with other ammo as well. Seems like from what I've heard that some Micro's will work well with almost any ammo, as they should. Others do fine with certain ammo and others have problems no matter what. I guess it's a question of how finely tuned they are? I'm a believer in getting what I've paid for and in a pistols case it's one that works the way it should. I would suggest asking the folks at Kimber about the sights and if they have a problem with that before you send her off? I think their policy is to return any changes to stock and charge you for the work and parts?
Our own Spotly had an ongoing adventure with a Micro,(see the "strange performance" thread) they wound up replacing it, more problems :-( He took it to a private 1911 guy who tuned it up and he's reported he trusts it enough to carry now. Hopefully Kimber won't give you $hit about the sights? Good luck, post what they say.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:18 AM   #9

I have three .380s: a P238, Micro Carry Rosewood and Micro Raptor. The P238 has never missed a beat. The Micro Carry was balky at first, but settled down at about 100rds and has been 100% ever since. The Raptor refused to cooperate. Even at +300rds, it would have the occasional FTE and failure to go into battery. I installed the 12lb Colt Mustang spring in the Raptor and bingo. Just did 100rds without a hiccup. It's in there permanently, now, and I'll begin carrying the Raptor as well as the others. These pistols seem to be all over the place. I had to install plumbing o-rings to secure the grips on the Raptor, which is kinda irritating on such a pricey gun. Anyway, my experience is that if your problems won't go away, you ought to try the heavier spring.
Spotly and Cybercycle like this.
charliea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:30 PM   #10

Exclamation

Originally Posted by charliea View Post
I have three .380s: a P238, Micro Carry Rosewood and Micro Raptor. The P238 has never missed a beat. The Micro Carry was balky at first, but settled down at about 100rds and has been 100% ever since. The Raptor refused to cooperate. Even at +300rds, it would have the occasional FTE and failure to go into battery. I installed the 12lb Colt Mustang spring in the Raptor and bingo. Just did 100rds without a hiccup. It's in there permanently, now, and I'll begin carrying the Raptor as well as the others. These pistols seem to be all over the place. I had to install plumbing o-rings to secure the grips on the Raptor, which is kinda irritating on such a pricey gun. Anyway, my experience is that if your problems won't go away, you ought to try the heavier spring.

My experience with both a P238 and a Micro have been very similar. It took about 500 rounds for the Kimber to behave and avoid FTF, FTE and return to battery. I purchased a set of replacement springs from Kimber and also have a Wolff 11lb spring (Mustang std) just in case it acts up again.

My P238 was 100% out of the box and has performed flawlessly since. Why can't Kimber produce the same quality and as reliable gun?!
starnovi likes this.
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page
anyone having trouble with getting kimber micro 9 to go into battery?
kimber micro 380 recoil spring
kimber micro 380 slide stop spring
kimber micro recoil spring
kimber micro slide release spring removal
kimber micro spring
recoil spring for kimber micro 9

when to change a micro 380 slide spring

Click on a term to search for related topics.