Micro spring and rod - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Micro Carry Forum

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2016, 12:30 PM   #1

Question Micro spring and rod

Just read on another forum that Kimber has developed a new spring/rod combination to replace the earlier springs which ( according to this poster ) Kimber now recognizes as defective.
Any one heard this?
If true, shouldn't Kimber send out notices to known current owners?
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-15-2016, 01:28 PM   #2

Question

Originally Posted by Trex View Post
Just read on another forum that Kimber has developed a new spring/rod combination to replace the earlier springs which ( according to this poster ) Kimber now recognizes as defective.
Any one heard this?
If true, shouldn't Kimber send out notices to known current owners?
Nope! That would be news to me. I wonder if this report is reliable and coming from an official source.
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:30 PM   #3
Super Moderator

I haven't heard anything about a problem with the guide rod but Kimber did say that they did get a batch of recoil springs that were improperly heat treated. I do know that they are sending new springs out to people that are calling in with problems related to the recoil spring but I doubt if they know which specific guns received those defective springs.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:08 PM   #4

...I've only heard of the "yellow" springs turning up? I'm at about 2200 rounds with my Micro and I believe spring #5 so a more durable option would be welcome.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:24 PM   #5

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
...I've only heard of the "yellow" springs turning up? I'm at about 2200 rounds with my Micro and I believe spring #5 so a more durable option would be welcome.
Cousinmark, yes, I would hope the engineering wizards in Yonkers would develop a better, flat spring version for the Micro and drop the archaic 1980's design round springs. Sig, HK and other strong competitors dropped the round spring design some time ago.
cousinmark likes this.
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:57 PM   #6

As far as I know it would be a first Donald, even for the larger framed pistols Kimber still uses the traditional springs. I've upgraded to a Wilson Combat flat wire rig for my PRO size 9mm.
So are you ever going to shoot that Bel Air again or what?
Old 06-15-2016, 03:31 PM   #7

They ship the new yellow Springs for the micro directly from the customer service operation in Kalispell Montana so they know there is something wrong.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:35 AM   #8

If you wondered how crummy these Micro springs really are, here's a pic. On the left is the spring from my Micro raptor, with about 300rds on it. The righthand spring from my Micro Stainless has about the same. The stainless had extraction problems, and it didn't take long to find out why. The spring completely collapsed at the small end, and got really short in the process.
charliea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:16 AM   #9
Super Moderator

As I stated in post #3 Kimber customer service has said that they received a batch of Micro recoil springs that were improperly heat treated and subject to failure. Anybody contacting them with a spring problem will be sent a new spring.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:02 AM   #10

been there done that

Originally Posted by charliea View Post
If you wondered how crummy these Micro springs really are, here's a pic. On the left is the spring from my Micro raptor, with about 300rds on it. The righthand spring from my Micro Stainless has about the same. The stainless had extraction problems, and it didn't take long to find out why. The spring completely collapsed at the small end, and got really short in the process.
I've had a few wind up looking like that :-) I believe it's actually normal for them to wind up a little shorter after some use though? All of mine have, the one in my gun now has shrunk maybe 1/2 inch compared to new but is working fine with about 500 rounds on it. I'm going to call and see if I can get one of the "yellow ones", see how it does?