The Toy Bench - Kimber Forum

Kimber


Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Photos and Videos

Like Tree31Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2017, 08:45 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 393
The Toy Bench

Since I've only been actively shooting for less than 2 years and accumulating guns at an alarming rate, I felt it was time to dedicate a spot for the entire mess.

It's a work in progress. This is Work Bench 101 and is constantly morphing. What was nothing 2 years ago is fast becoming the prime focus of my day to day outside of work.

A few snaps to show the love.


20170929_204026 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr


20170930_132735 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr


and


The blue bag for my Ultra.


20170930_132752 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr
Chuck43, Marshall, bhunted and 4 others like this.
Bish is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-01-2017, 09:27 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Rick in Oregon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: High Desert of Central Oregon
Posts: 656
Bish: As a lifelong shooter (now almost 71 yrs old), I welcome you to the madness.

That said, one thing you should do for yourself, is toss that cleaning set I see with your bench items. Those multi-piece cleaning rods are a true enemy of your fine Kimber pistols.

Do yourself a favor and get a Dewey one-piece coated pistol cleaning rod and the required tips, spear-point jags, bore mops and bronze brushes to name a few. It will last your lifetime.

Those aluminum screw-together rods pick up micro crud and transfer to your nice Kimber barrel, and any time you have a jointed rod, it will bend inside your bore and touch the lands....no bueno.

Just a suggestion gleaned from years of experience and input from fellows smarter than I.
__________________
Semper Fortis
USN Amphibious/RVN 1966
NRA Life, VVA
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:52 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Valley Forge, Pa
Posts: 281
Send a message via AIM to loadedround
Do you ever shoot those pistols or just clean them. They all look brand new and unfired.
Chuck43 and Bish like this.
loadedround is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 10-01-2017, 10:07 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
RustyIron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: La Habra, California
Posts: 2,679
Originally Posted by Bish View Post
accumulating guns at an alarming rate
The truly alarming thing is going to be what Mrs. Bish does to you when she discovers that you purloined her dish towel out of the kitchen and are using it to clean your guns.

Good luck, buddy.
Chuck43, Dude22, Elf1 and 1 others like this.
__________________


Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 04:13 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Elf1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Alabama
Posts: 569
Wow is that nice! I especially love the blue bag
Chuck43 and Bish like this.
Elf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 04:16 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 19,090
I envy anyone having a workbench. I had a nice one out in the garage when I had my house. Now it's on the dining room table or the patio weather permitting.
Chuck43, 2sharp2, Elf1 and 1 others like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 04:18 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 393
Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
Bish: As a lifelong shooter (now almost 71 yrs old), I welcome you to the madness.

That said, one thing you should do for yourself, is toss that cleaning set I see with your bench items. Those multi-piece cleaning rods are a true enemy of your fine Kimber pistols.

Do yourself a favor and get a Dewey one-piece coated pistol cleaning rod and the required tips, spear-point jags, bore mops and bronze brushes to name a few. It will last your lifetime.

Those aluminum screw-together rods pick up micro crud and transfer to your nice Kimber barrel, and any time you have a jointed rod, it will bend inside your bore and touch the lands....no bueno.

Just a suggestion gleaned from years of experience and input from fellows smarter than I.

Thanks for the information. I found that I only use the plastic tip that holds cleaning patches, and just the one rod to push them through the barrel. The rest has never left the box. Way over kill. What about barrel ropes? I see those, too. I use Hoppe's for cleaning and lubing.

Originally Posted by loadedround View Post
Do you ever shoot those pistols or just clean them. They all look brand new and unfired.
The Raptor is the only one unfired. Also, all and I mean all but one are less than 2 years old. You've only seen half the collection.

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
The truly alarming thing is going to be what Mrs. Bish does to you when she discovers that you purloined her dish towel out of the kitchen and are using it to clean your guns.

Good luck, buddy.

LOL. I'm good and so is the Mrs. This towel came from my cleaning collection for drums and guitars. I'm working on getting a real gun related mat but haven't decided on one.
Chuck43 likes this.
Bish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 04:24 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 393
Originally Posted by Elf1 View Post
Wow is that nice! I especially love the blue bag

Thank you. Yes, the blue bag controversy. I found I actually did get one. One out of 3 ain't bad.

Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I envy anyone having a workbench. I had a nice one out in the garage when I had my house. Now it's on the dining room table or the patio weather permitting.
Some guys have an entire room dedicated with peg boards, shelving and stuff stacked up in corners. I'm not there yet. I need a gofundmeforfunformefund started before that'll ever happen.
Chuck43 and Elf1 like this.
Bish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 05:20 PM   #9
Super Moderator
 
Chuck43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 31,801
Nice bench Bish, the "Blue Bag" makes everything official, LOL.
2sharp2, Elf1 and Bish like this.
__________________
I'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs.
But trust a dog when it doesn't like a person.

Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 05:28 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
2sharp2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Chattanooga
Posts: 10,799
Very nice bench Bish. I have a work bench but it is in the basement mostly used for car parts and not near as nice as yours.
Bish likes this.
__________________
The Kimber Family

Gold Combat LE
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
CDP Ultra
Raptor Ultra Stainless
RCP Ultra
SIS Custom
SIS Pro
SIS Ultra
TLE Pro (TFS)
Stainless Raptor
Custom Two Tone .45/460 Rowland
Super Carry Ultra Plus
84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New toy RustyIron Other Firearms 5 07-27-2017 09:32 AM
Newest Toy. DGM1962 Kimber 1911 Forum 3 06-15-2017 04:29 AM
New Toy, Something Different bhunted Off-Topic Discussion Forum 19 03-04-2017 06:21 AM
Dedicated cleaning station/work bench fifthgear Kimber Talk 16 07-22-2016 05:38 AM