New K6s won't fire - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Revolver Forum

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2017, 01:54 PM   #1

New K6s won't fire

Hi guys.
I hate to be one of those guys with no posts that joins a forum only to post a problem, but here I am.

Brand new K6s. I could see where the gun had been fired using all six chambers when I got it home and looked it over closely. I tried to call Kimber three times this past Thursday, but once I got disconnected after a thirty minute hold and the other two times I gave up after 15-20 minutes because I had things to do.
I was going to ask them about the dirty chambers and cylinder face and how many times they test fire, just to make sure the gun shop hadn't played with it before selling it. It was a shop I rarely visit.
I was also going to ask them about the distinctive staging of the trigger. I had never shot a revolver where the cylinder rotated into place with such authority (even audible) and where the wall was so easy to determine on a brand new gun. I just wanted to hear what they would say, if it was supposed to work that way or not.

I finally got to shoot it today. I loaded six rounds of Remington 357. Fired six shots. Took it back to my area to reload and walked up to fire again.

The first thing I noticed was that the trigger pulled back at about half the weight. I looked things over real good, opened and closed the cylinder, everything looked fine, so I went ahead and shot it. Or I should say tried to shoot it.

The cylinder rotates, the trigger pulls back, but the gun won't fire. I don't hear the hammer fall, but to tell the truth don't even know if it's moving. For all I know the lighter trigger means something let loose inside.

Did a little Googling, couldn't find anything on this particular issue (found cylinder binding problems), so here I am.
Has anyone experienced this, either with Kimber or another revolver? Is there something simple I can do without voiding my warranty? I'm in the habit of fixing my own guns, but with a product this new, this one is going back if it has to.

And does anyone know of a better way to talk to customer service? Should I have the store call them? I've never experienced such long hold times. And that scares me a little.

Thanks for any help.
Nellybelle and starnovi like this.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-04-2017, 03:49 PM   #2

Man this is awful. Send it back.
pacanis likes this.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:56 PM   #3

Originally Posted by Nellybelle View Post
Man this is awful. Send it back.
Thanks.
I'm sure it's going to come down to sending it back, if I can get a hold of them, but I sure would like to know the mechanics behind it.

I found one page/site that said the action is based on S&W's, but I never had a Smith do this.

Old 02-04-2017, 04:01 PM   #4

Welcome to KT from St Lou....That really is depressing to hear about your new K6 and I believe that's #4 just in the last week or so that had issues..

I know calling Kimber to get an RMA# sucks since the wait time is brutal, but that's something you will have to do to get it fixed..

Best of luck and please come back to report after getting it returned and what the issue was..
pacanis likes this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 04:18 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Welcome to KT from St Lou....That really is depressing to hear about your new K6 and I believe that's #4 just in the last week or so that had issues..

I know calling Kimber to get an RMA# sucks since the wait time is brutal, but that's something you will have to do to get it fixed..

Best of luck and please come back to report after getting it returned and what the issue was..
Thanks, Marshall.

First new gun I ever had fail on me, but like I said, I wasn't sure how many times it had been fired before I got it. Could be something might have been off so they shot it some more?

Thanks for the heads up on Kimber, too.
While I do know their reputation with some gun owners, I never had a problem with them so never had reason to call them. I didn't know they were so backlogged. Guess I'll have to suck it up and set aside some time to sit by my phone.
And I'm guessing their turnaround time isn't going to be that great either

I'll keep y'all posted. If only to make the information available to other owners.
Cybercycle likes this.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:29 PM   #6

Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Thanks, Marshall.

First new gun I ever had fail on me, but like I said, I wasn't sure how many times it had been fired before I got it. Could be something might have been off so they shot it some more?

Thanks for the heads up on Kimber, too.
While I do know their reputation with some gun owners, I never had a problem with them so never had reason to call them. I didn't know they were so backlogged. Guess I'll have to suck it up and set aside some time to sit by my phone.
And I'm guessing their turnaround time isn't going to be that great either

I'll keep y'all posted. If only to make the information available to other owners.
I waited around 40 minutes last week while I was off so it wasn't a big deal. I asked why they were so swamped with phone calls and he told me it's always crazy, but the first month after the Shot Show doubles the wait time. Seems that inquiring minds want to know when the new models will hit the shelves..
pacanis likes this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 04:34 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I waited around 40 minutes last week while I was off so it wasn't a big deal. I asked why they were so swamped with phone calls and he told me it's always crazy, but the first month after the Shot Show doubles the wait time. Seems that inquiring minds want to know when the new models will hit the shelves..
Well hey! We've got people with real problems here! lol

Shot Show. No wonder. That didn't occur to me.
Marshall and 2sharp2 like this.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:17 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois pacanis.
pacanis likes this.

Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:49 PM   #9

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois pacanis.
Thanks.
I'm from PA BTW
Old 02-04-2017, 06:50 PM   #10

That sucks and I really hate to hear about yet another K6 failing after a cylinder or two of firing.

I refer back to my Thread I started, "Getting Cold Feet."

Oh, I should add I've not even seen a K6 in person yet. The issues I'm hearing are making me not want to purchase without a hands on inspection.
pacanis likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr

Last edited by 2sharp2; 02-04-2017 at 07:04 PM.
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page
k6 trigger issues
kimber dasa release date
kimber k6 issues
kimber k6 problems
kimber k6s dry fire

kimber k6s problems

kimber k6s revolver problems
kimber revolver cylinder wall
Click on a term to search for related topics.