First Range Visit - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Revolver Forum

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2017, 02:29 PM   #1

Talking First Range Visit

I bought a Kimber K6S two days ago. The smooth trigger was at the top of the list of reasons I bought it.

I just got into revolvers when I bought a S&W 686 for a self Christmas present. One thing led to another. Soon I had a J-Frame snubbie to carry. The S&W 637 seemed built for concealed carry. The only drawback was it's kind of hard to shoot accurately. After a lot of practice, I could hit an 8" circle at 10 yards.

I'm not here to bad mouth the S&W 637. It is what it is. Only so much can be expected from a 2" double action revolver -- right ???

I read about the Kimber K6S, and was curious. But, I really didn't expect to get one. I had my S&W snubbie.

When I saw the Kimber at the LGS, I asked to look at it. When I pulled the trigger, I decided I wasn't going to give it back. There went $830.

I took it to the range today, and it exceeded my expectations. I was immediately getting 4" groups @ 10 yards. It didn't get any better as time went on, I was too busy having fun. I usually need to get a new gun out of my system, then settle down on the second visit.

Everybody wanted to see it, and remarked how beautiful it was. I hadn't considered that yet, as it's a defense gun. Beauty isn't a necessary attribute.

However; it does bring a lot of other defense attributes to the table.
1. Six rounds may not sound like a lot more than five, but it's 20% more.
2. It's also capable of delivering .357 MAG power. Very comforting. It's a little snappy with MAGs, but not more than my 70 year old arthritic hands can handle.
3. It's more accutate in my hands than any gun that size ever was.
4. It's still small enough for pocket carry if I choose.
5. Did I mention it's purty?
jnichols2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-19-2017, 03:13 PM   #2

Welcome to KT and congrats on your new K6. Still waiting to see one in person here in St Lou so I too can see just how awesome it looks before pulling the trigger and buying one..
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:48 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum and glad to here your report on your new K6S. Happy shooting.
WillyD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2017, 05:43 PM   #4

Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Welcome to KT and congrats on your new K6. Still waiting to see one in person here in St Lou so I too can see just how awesome it looks before pulling the trigger and buying one..
It's not just looks. This gun really has a nice trigger.

Once you try it, "pulling the trigger" will have meaning.
Marshall likes this.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:06 PM   #5

Glad you like everything....especially the trigger pull. I shoot my wife's Kimber Micro Carry 380 when ever we get to the range first. I just like to shoot it. I carry a M &P Bodyguard 380 which is a little smaller and has a long trigger pull. I can always tell the difference when I shoot them both...I anticipate the Bodyguard because of its pull....something I need to work on.
Participant of the Southeast Asia War Games, 1971.

Last edited by Markie; 05-19-2017 at 08:09 PM.
Markie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:15 PM   #6

Sounds like you had a great day! I have only seen pictures of the K6 to this point. It is a looker!

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:53 AM   #7

Good job! The K6s is PURTY! I have found it to be very functional as well. I seen one at a nearby LGS for $1100! Had wood grips , night sights, etc, but come on.
Rangemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:38 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Rangemeister View Post
Good job! The K6s is PURTY! I have found it to be very functional as well. I seen one at a nearby LGS for $1100! Had wood grips , night sights, etc, but come on.
Some LGS like to take advantage of the gun buyers that do not price compare. It is okay to make a profit but price gouging I do not care for.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:58 AM   #9

Originally Posted by Rangemeister View Post
Those msrp at over $1K-$2K and selling for crazy prices on GB, but yeah a Kimber revolver for over a grand wouldn't be frugal to me since I can find a S&W or Ruger much cheaper....JMHO

Kimber America | K6s DCR

http://www.kimberamerica.com/k6s-first-edition
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:54 AM   #10

Yes, some places are gouging on Kimber's already high MSRP.
Mine was $829.99, high, but $70 less than the "big store" was.

I would not have paid that much, except I was having trouble mastering the double action on my S&W 637 beyond 7 yards. The Kimber K6S brought an 8" group at 10 yards down to 4" for me (YMMV). I assume it will improve some more with practice. That, to me, made it worth the cost.

Again; not bad mouthing the J-Frame. It is what it is.

Of course, my Ruger GP100 Match Champion, and S&W 686 both give me 4" at 25 yards. But I don't carry them every day.
Groups don't count on my Ruger Redhawk .44 Magnum, near misses still get thier attention.
swca likes this.

Last edited by jnichols2; 05-20-2017 at 09:57 AM.