Finally Held K6S - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Revolver Forum

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2017, 02:02 PM   #1

Finally Held K6S

I was out early this morning to check on getting the moonroof checked it has been leaking, anyway that's scheduled for Wed. morning. Decided to check out our new Bass Pro Shop, been open for almost a year, didn't want to fight the crowd.

First let me say what I found does not mean I won't some day buy a K6S revolver, it just moved down a few places on my "to buy list."

I saw, held, fondled, a K6S, it had white dot sights and black rubber grips. It had a trigger lock in the guard, so it was kind of hard to get a good feel for it. It was heavier than I had expected and pointing and aiming it felt muzzle heavy to me. The grip did not fit my hand well, my pinkie finger hung off the bottom. I don't know if it would have been better with my finger in the trigger guard. Touching off a hot .357 mag load would be interesting. I did think it looked good, well made. Now I'm not in as big a hurry to buy one, I think I will wait for the night sight version to be more available.

They had several of what I call entry level 1911 Kimber's, Custom's, Ultra Carry's. I saw a Micro9 Raptor stainless, Micro Carry 380 Raptor stainless. Several different Micro 380 "color" editions, Belair, Purple, Sapphire, Advocate, Desert Tan, Diamond.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-26-2017, 04:21 PM   #2
Super Moderator

I fondled a couple K6S' at Fin Fur &Feather the other day. Must say I was pretty impressed. The triggers were great and fit and finish were spot on. I really want to see the new Colt Cobra as well.
Marshall and 2sharp2 like this.

Ohio Chl holder
NRA member
Old age isn't for sissy's
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:18 PM   #3

Still baffles me why they left off the exposed hammer as an option...love having the single action option if I wanna.
swca and Hawker800 like this.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:48 PM   #4

Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
Still baffles me why they left off the exposed hammer as an option...love having the single action option if I wanna.
I like shooting a revolver in single action. I enjoy cocking the hammer every time before I shoot. So far all my revolvers have exposed hammers.
Hawker800 likes this.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:54 AM   #5

The reason I'm sitting here at my desk at this very moment is because I just finished reading an article on the K6 in the latest issue of Handguns. Immediately I had to come upstairs and get online to do a little followup.

Like most writers for gun rags, this guy at Handguns is just another fanboy going clickers-clack at the keyboard and saying nothing of consequence. But after reading the article, I was intrigued and wanted to learn more. My arsenal currently lacks anything that is sensible to carry in a front pocket. I thought the K6 might fit the bill.

Alas, after viewing the specs on Kimber's web page, I found the K6 is not as small as I had hoped. Oh, well. That's another stack of Benjamins that I'll get to hold on to for a little bit longer.
2sharp2 and swca like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:03 PM   #6

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
The reason I'm sitting here at my desk at this very moment is because I just finished reading an article on the K6 in the latest issue of Handguns. Immediately I had to come upstairs and get online to do a little followup.

Like most writers for gun rags, this guy at Handguns is just another fanboy going clickers-clack at the keyboard and saying nothing of consequence. But after reading the article, I was intrigued and wanted to learn more. My arsenal currently lacks anything that is sensible to carry in a front pocket. I thought the K6 might fit the bill.

Alas, after viewing the specs on Kimber's web page, I found the K6 is not as small as I had hoped. Oh, well. That's another stack of Benjamins that I'll get to hold on to for a little bit longer.
I'm with you Rusty, if I needed to CC a small revolver I already own 6 or 7 that would work just as well as the K6S. And like I said in another thread it was heavier than I expected.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

Old 07-02-2017, 02:22 PM   #7

The K6 falls into that "it's nice but I don't have a use for". I have a Ruger GP 100 Match Champion 4" 357 which carries very nice in a pancake holster with a light cover shirt in summer or winter. If I need something for shorts and T-shirt I have the Ruger LCR 357 small enough for the larger pocket of cargo shorts. (Talking strictly revolver here I also carry my SigP938 and Kimber Micro) The K6 is a very nice gun, well finished and all Stainless. But it's kind of like the Sp101 to me. I have the GP (just a little larger) and I have the LCR (little smaller and much lighter) so it really doesn't fill a nitch for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2sharp2 likes this.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:43 AM   #8

As the owner of a half dozen snubbies in different frame sizes and barrel lengths, I too thought the Kimber was something I didn't need. Want and need are two different things so a few months ago I bought one with factory lasergrips. A very solid well made gun. Great sights and trigger but the biggest advantage to me is the 6th shot capability. It has become my daily carry because of that reason. It is no more accurate than my Ruger SP101 or S&W stainless and loaded, it weighs about the same as either of those. If I want light weight pocket carry, I go to my 340PD but with a proper belt and holster I will always go to the Kimber.
340pd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:51 AM   #9

I guess everybody's needs are different.

I used a S&W 637 5 shot .38SPL for carry. It was very light at 15 oz, perfect for carry, but hard to shoot accurately. I managed a 8" group at 10 yards.

The Kimber K6S is a good bit heavier at 23 oz, but has a great trigger that will get me 4" groups at 10 yds, even with .357 MAG.

I accepted more weight for increased accuracy (in MY hands). It was a real good trade off for me.

I guess if I manage to get 4" groups from the S&W, I'll start carrying it again.
jnichols2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:49 PM   #10

Yep, jnichols needs are different. The K6S is filling a need for a lot of shooters but for me holding it for a few minutes in Bass Pro it did not seem to fit my hand, now it did have a full trigger lock installed as do all there pistols.
I still liked it enough to buy a K6S but not because of it's intended design purpose of CC weapon.
Who knows may not buy one. It would be for range and fun.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

Search tags for this page

kimber k6s cdp trigger

Click on a term to search for related topics.