Crimson Trace Laser Grips - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Revolver Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2017, 03:19 PM   #1

Crimson Trace Laser Grips

My K6S has the Crimson Trace grips without the laser. I like them quite a bit. I found a set of Slatewood laser grips on Optics Planet, and can't make up my mind.
Crimson Trace Master Series Lasergrip w/ Red Laser for Kimber K6 Revolver | $30.00 OFF

1. Is it worth $369 to upgrade to laser?
2. Will I be happy with how the Slatewood grips feel and grip?

I intend to use the gun for defense carry, so how it grips is more important than how it looks.

Edited to add that I haven't found the laser grips in rubber yet.

Last edited by jnichols2; 07-29-2017 at 03:38 PM.
jnichols2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-29-2017, 04:30 PM   #2

Originally Posted by jnichols2 View Post
My K6S has the Crimson Trace grips without the laser. I like them quite a bit. I found a set of Slatewood laser grips on Optics Planet, and can't make up my mind.
Crimson Trace Master Series Lasergrip w/ Red Laser for Kimber K6 Revolver | $30.00 OFF

1. Is it worth $369 to upgrade to laser?
2. Will I be happy with how the Slatewood grips feel and grip?

I intend to use the gun for defense carry, so how it grips is more important than how it looks.

Edited to add that I haven't found the laser grips in rubber yet.
This is just me and my old eyes but I wouldn't buy a CT grips for the K6S unless it had a "Green" laser.
Yes I own both colors red and green, two of each. The Green laser grips have been installed on the EDC pistols and the red have been designated to pistols that mostly only see range time, not EDC.

I know green CT grips are probably not available for the K6S.
speedydg13 likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 04:43 PM   #3

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
This is just me and my old eyes but I wouldn't buy a CT grips for the K6S unless it had a "Green" laser.
Yes I own both colors red and green, two of each. The Green laser grips have been installed on the EDC pistols and the red have been designated to pistols that mostly only see range time, not EDC.

They're not, but I'll defer to your experience with red lasers. My eyes will be 70 in September.

Besides; I'm not sure I would have been willing to give up the rubber grips.

Old 07-29-2017, 05:14 PM   #4

Maybe I can help. Mine came with CT grips. Just for reference, I bought my K6S just as they came out with Lasergrips. I paid delivered and transferred just over a grand total. At that time the gun with rubber grips was selling on GB for $750 and up.

1. I am a huge believer in CT laser grips and I can write novels as to why they are on all my carry revolvers.

2. The CT lasergrips on the Kimber are from their master series and they are very well thought out. The slatewood and rubber combo is comfortable, compact, and does not get hung up on clothing.

3. I own a 640Pro with a set of LG350's green and the rest are all red. In no way would I ever spend the extra money for a set of green again. They do project better and they are visible in bright daylight but I consider my snubbies to be up close and personal firearms and because I can better see a green dot at 50 yds in bright sunlight does not mean I will take that shoot with a 2" gun.

4. I just returned from the range today wishing the Kimber's lasergrips were a bit fatter toward the base. Don't get me wrong the combination of wood and rubber is a great feeling product, I just have big hands and to get my finger correctly on the trigger I need to grip that gun lower rather than the preferred high grip. I do not have a set of stock rubber Kimber grips to compare but I would love to see set of Spegels boot grips just for feel. I am thinking of wrapping a couple of turns of tourna grip tape around the lower half but I don't have much room without activating the laser grip on/off button.

5. $370 is a lot unless you have the cash to spare. If the K6S is your SD gun and you are a lover of lasers go for it, if not, you may wait until there are more grip options out there with better feedback than I can give.

Buka likes this.

Last edited by 340pd; 07-30-2017 at 09:08 AM.
340pd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 05:44 PM   #5

Originally Posted by 340pd View Post
Maybe I can help. Mine came with CT grips. Just for reference, I bought my K6S just as they came out with Lasergrips. I paid delivered and transferred just over a grant total. At that time the gun with rubber grips was selling on GB for $750 and up.

1. I am a huge believer in CT laser grips and I can write novels as to why they are on all my carry revolvers.

2. The CT lasergrips on the Kimber are from their master series and they are very well thought out. The slatewood and rubber combo is comfortable, compact, and does not get hung up on clothing.

3. I own a 640Pro with a set of LG350's green and the rest are all red. In no way would I ever spend the extra money for a set of green again. They do project better and they are visible in bright daylight but I consider my snubbies to be up close and personal firearms and because I can better see a green dot at 50 yds in bright sunlight does not mean I will take that shoot with a 2" gun.

4. I just returned from the range today wishing the Kimber's lasergrips were a bit fatter toward the base. Don't get me wrong the combination of wood and rubber is a great feeling product, I just have big hands and to get my finger correctly on the trigger I need to grip that gun lower rather than the preferred high grip. I do not have a set of stock rubber Kimber grips to compare but I would love to see set of Spegels boot grips just for feel. I am thinking of wrapping a couple of turns of tourna grip tape around the lower half but I don't have much room without activating the laser grip on/off button.

5. $370 is a lot unless you have the cash to spare. If the K6S is your SD gun and you are a lover of lasers go for it, if not, you may wait until there are more grip options out there with better feedback than I can give.

The Optics Planet description just said "slatewood" and showed a small low res picture. Your grips look like rubber grips with wood inserts. Am I correct?
Old 07-29-2017, 06:20 PM   #6

Originally Posted by jnichols2 View Post
They're not, but I'll defer to your experience with red lasers. My eyes will be 70 in September.

Besides; I'm not sure I would have been willing to give up the rubber grips.
My eyes turned 62 in June. 340pd made some good points. Maybe you could check out some red and green lasers in Bass Pro or some other gun shop to "see" for yourself.
Let me be clear red lasers are not crap, they are great, just not as visible in some conditions as the green.
PaulWVa likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

Old 07-29-2017, 07:39 PM   #7

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post

I have both red and green lasers and the green is MUCH easier to see in bright light conditions than the red. Having an inquisitive mind and studying science (LONG ago as a kid) I researched why that is. It has to do with the colors being on different ends of the visible spectrum, red on on end, green towards the other, with green being easier to distinguish in light conditions for the human eye. Red is easier to pick up under low light conditions, but even then, the green is REALLY bright, again due to the ease of the human eye picking up that end of the visible light spectrum.
2sharp2 and PaulWVa like this.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:34 PM   #8

Red vs Green

I went through the whole laser thing a long time ago. I have both red and green. The green is much better in outside daylight, without question, the red gets washed out. In low light or indoors both are pretty much the same. I prefer the green strobe mode as it's easier on batteries. Fun on the range but I don't and won't use them on my carry gun. But that's just me, based on my experience. I know some people swear by them. My cat loves them...best cat toy ever.
speedydg13 likes this.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:20 AM   #9

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, could be just me...smaller hands, less grip strength, but I can't keep the laser on consistently without have to reposition my fingers on the front. But it's a no brainer with fast shooting if you needed it, just point and shoot and it hits what you are pointing at consistently without bringing it up to dominant eye position. Once in a while I practice shooting from low position as if you didn't have time to bring the pistol up to ready position and the shots hit where the laser is pointing!
Buka likes this.

Heinie Lady Hawk 1911
Kimber Raptor 9mm full size SS
Kimber Sapphire Ultra Compact II 9mm
Kimber Micro 9 CTLG
Kimber Micro 380 Advocate
Sig Ultra Compact 2 tone 45 ACP
Sig P238 HD Nickel
Colt AR-15 9mm
CZ Rami 9mm
Glock 19
Glock 43
Smith & Wesson M&P 9 Pro Series C.O.R.E.
Smith & Wesson M&P 22 compact
Walther PPS M2

Last edited by starnovi; 07-30-2017 at 08:24 AM.
starnovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:01 AM   #10

Originally Posted by starnovi View Post
I don't know if anyone else has this problem, could be just me...smaller hands, less grip strength, but I can't keep the laser on consistently without have to reposition my fingers on the front. But it's a no brainer with fast shooting if you needed it, just point and shoot and it hits what you are pointing at consistently without bringing it up to dominant eye position. Once in a while I practice shooting from low position as if you didn't have time to bring the pistol up to ready position and the shots hit where the laser is pointing!
No problem here keeping laser on. I do like to practice like from a low ready, one handed, strong and weak, point dot, squeeze trigger. Just in case. I think it is unlikely in a SD situation you will be able to achieve a proper stance, grip before needing to fire your weapon. There are usually some folding chairs at my range and sometimes I get one of them and fire some magazines while sitting also strong and weak hand.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

Search tags for this page
crimson trace grips for kimber k-6 revolver

kimber grips

Click on a term to search for related topics.