Kimber Talk Forums banner

Crimson Trace Laser Grips

5K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  jnichols2 
#1 · (Edited)
My K6S has the Crimson Trace grips without the laser. I like them quite a bit. I found a set of Slatewood laser grips on Optics Planet, and can't make up my mind.
Crimson Trace Master Series Lasergrip w/ Red Laser for Kimber K6 Revolver | $30.00 OFF

1. Is it worth $369 to upgrade to laser?
2. Will I be happy with how the Slatewood grips feel and grip?

I intend to use the gun for defense carry, so how it grips is more important than how it looks.

Edited to add that I haven't found the laser grips in rubber yet.

#2 ·
This is just me and my old eyes but I wouldn't buy a CT grips for the K6S unless it had a "Green" laser.
Yes I own both colors red and green, two of each. The Green laser grips have been installed on the EDC pistols and the red have been designated to pistols that mostly only see range time, not EDC.

I know green CT grips are probably not available for the K6S.

Reactions: speedydg13
#3 ·
This is just me and my old eyes but I wouldn't buy a CT grips for the K6S unless it had a "Green" laser.
Yes I own both colors red and green, two of each. The Green laser grips have been installed on the EDC pistols and the red have been designated to pistols that mostly only see range time, not EDC.

I know green CT grips are probably not available for the K6S.
They're not, but I'll defer to your experience with red lasers. My eyes will be 70 in September. :D

Besides; I'm not sure I would have been willing to give up the rubber grips.

#4 · (Edited)
Maybe I can help. Mine came with CT grips. Just for reference, I bought my K6S just as they came out with Lasergrips. I paid delivered and transferred just over a grand total. At that time the gun with rubber grips was selling on GB for $750 and up.

1. I am a huge believer in CT laser grips and I can write novels as to why they are on all my carry revolvers.

2. The CT lasergrips on the Kimber are from their master series and they are very well thought out. The slatewood and rubber combo is comfortable, compact, and does not get hung up on clothing.

3. I own a 640Pro with a set of LG350's green and the rest are all red. In no way would I ever spend the extra money for a set of green again. They do project better and they are visible in bright daylight but I consider my snubbies to be up close and personal firearms and because I can better see a green dot at 50 yds in bright sunlight does not mean I will take that shoot with a 2" gun.

4. I just returned from the range today wishing the Kimber's lasergrips were a bit fatter toward the base. Don't get me wrong the combination of wood and rubber is a great feeling product, I just have big hands and to get my finger correctly on the trigger I need to grip that gun lower rather than the preferred high grip. I do not have a set of stock rubber Kimber grips to compare but I would love to see set of Spegels boot grips just for feel. I am thinking of wrapping a couple of turns of tourna grip tape around the lower half but I don't have much room without activating the laser grip on/off button.

5. $370 is a lot unless you have the cash to spare. If the K6S is your SD gun and you are a lover of lasers go for it, if not, you may wait until there are more grip options out there with better feedback than I can give.

#5 ·
Maybe I can help. Mine came with CT grips. Just for reference, I bought my K6S just as they came out with Lasergrips. I paid delivered and transferred just over a grant total. At that time the gun with rubber grips was selling on GB for $750 and up.

1. I am a huge believer in CT laser grips and I can write novels as to why they are on all my carry revolvers.

2. The CT lasergrips on the Kimber are from their master series and they are very well thought out. The slatewood and rubber combo is comfortable, compact, and does not get hung up on clothing.

3. I own a 640Pro with a set of LG350's green and the rest are all red. In no way would I ever spend the extra money for a set of green again. They do project better and they are visible in bright daylight but I consider my snubbies to be up close and personal firearms and because I can better see a green dot at 50 yds in bright sunlight does not mean I will take that shoot with a 2" gun.

4. I just returned from the range today wishing the Kimber's lasergrips were a bit fatter toward the base. Don't get me wrong the combination of wood and rubber is a great feeling product, I just have big hands and to get my finger correctly on the trigger I need to grip that gun lower rather than the preferred high grip. I do not have a set of stock rubber Kimber grips to compare but I would love to see set of Spegels boot grips just for feel. I am thinking of wrapping a couple of turns of tourna grip tape around the lower half but I don't have much room without activating the laser grip on/off button.

5. $370 is a lot unless you have the cash to spare. If the K6S is your SD gun and you are a lover of lasers go for it, if not, you may wait until there are more grip options out there with better feedback than I can give.

The Optics Planet description just said "slatewood" and showed a small low res picture. Your grips look like rubber grips with wood inserts. Am I correct?

#8 ·
Red vs Green

I went through the whole laser thing a long time ago. I have both red and green. The green is much better in outside daylight, without question, the red gets washed out. In low light or indoors both are pretty much the same. I prefer the green strobe mode as it's easier on batteries. Fun on the range but I don't and won't use them on my carry gun. But that's just me, based on my experience. I know some people swear by them. My cat loves them...best cat toy ever. :D

#9 · (Edited)
I don't know if anyone else has this problem, could be just me...smaller hands, less grip strength, but I can't keep the laser on consistently without have to reposition my fingers on the front. But it's a no brainer with fast shooting if you needed it, just point and shoot and it hits what you are pointing at consistently without bringing it up to dominant eye position. Once in a while I practice shooting from low position as if you didn't have time to bring the pistol up to ready position and the shots hit where the laser is pointing!

Reactions: Buka
#10 ·
No problem here keeping laser on. I do like to practice like from a low ready, one handed, strong and weak, point dot, squeeze trigger. Just in case. I think it is unlikely in a SD situation you will be able to achieve a proper stance, grip before needing to fire your weapon. There are usually some folding chairs at my range and sometimes I get one of them and fire some magazines while sitting also strong and weak hand.

#12 ·
I also see the rubber finger grip area is longer front to back than the standard grips. With my larger hands, that's a good thing.

However; the view of the right side shows there is not much room for my thumbs. I shoot left handed, and with my normal grip my thumbs would block the laser. I would have to adopt a different grip. Should be doable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.