• 2 Post By CDR_Glock
  • 3 Post By Marshall
  • 2 Post By CDR_Glock
  • 1 Post By Franklin
  • 1 Post By 340pd
  • 2 Post By buff51

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2017, 08:46 AM   #1

Has anyone adapted a J frame grip for your Kimber?

I saw this article that had a great write up for the Kimber. It was one of the most convincing articles about the K6s for me. Problem with gun rags is that there isn't much substance in firsthand experience.

http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/K6S/k6s.html

Anyways, what caught my eye was that the author adapted a Pachmayr J frame grip for his Kimber. Is that hard to do?

Thanks in advance.

Here is how my Gun looks now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swca and PaulWVa like this.
CDR_Glock is online now   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-06-2017, 09:02 AM   #2

Looking at the frame of the K6 vs S&W frame I could see many one piece grips working out. More and more grips will become available in the near future. Since this revolver just came out I would bet the grip manufactures are busy designing and bringing them to market as quick as possible.

I will be getting a K6 as soon as some larger grips are ready to purchase.

http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/re...gnum-revolver/

........................K6-..............................................S&W...............
Attached Images
File Type: jpg K6s-sideplate.jpg (828.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg j-frame-sideplate.jpg (498.2 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Marshall; 08-06-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:51 AM   #3

Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Looking at the frame of the K6 vs S&W frame I could see many one piece grips working out. More and more grips will become available in the near future. Since this revolver just came out I would bet the grip manufactures are busy designing and bringing them to market as quick as possible.

I will be getting a K6 as soon as some larger grips are ready to purchase.

http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/re...gnum-revolver/

........................K6-..............................................S&W...............

The K6s is so awesome. It's even awesome naked

Marshall and PaulWVa like this.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:11 PM   #4

I have looked at doing this, but it looked like a WHOLE lot of work. I also tried to think of a mold-able material I could use to copy the back side of grips, let harden then file/grind to the right size and shape. But, I'm lazy.
CDR_Glock likes this.
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:10 PM   #5

That was a great writeup. The author was incorrect with reference to speedloaders. The standard HKS #10 works just fine. If you run the sides up against a belt sander for a few seconds they work even better.

CDR_Glock likes this.
340pd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:24 PM   #6

Originally Posted by 340pd View Post
That was a great writeup. The author was incorrect with reference to speedloaders. The standard HKS #10 works just fine. If you run the sides up against a belt sander for a few seconds they work even better.

Agreed. I forgot to correct that. It works fine with those.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:34 PM   #7

My name is Ed Buffaloe and I put a set of J-Frame Pachmayr grips on my K6S. I work in leather, so I was able to make leather shims for both the front and rear of the grip. But I had to move the grip screw. I filled in the old screw holes with black epoxy putty. I already had a grip screw and escutcheon, as well as a special drill bit for insetting them into a grip, that I had long ago purchased from Brownell's. I used a regular bit to drill the appropriate size hole through each side of the grip. Then I used the special bit to inset the screw and escutcheon--this was made somewhat simpler by the fact that the Pachmayr grips have a steel plate in them for added strength, so I put the insets down to the level of the steel plate on each side. When I put it all together, the grip still wobbled a bit because the new grip screw is set too low. So I carefully cut out a piece of leather to fit perfectly inside the grip frame right at the point where the screw goes through, and then I drilled it so the grip screw would go through it. This allowed me to tighten the grips enough that they do not wobble in the least, even when firing heavy .357 loads. The grips are pulled snug to the frame on each side. There was still a gap at the top where the K6S frame narrows more than a J-frame grip. I used black silicone to fill in this space. Voila! The grips work great. Yes, it was a pain in the butt, but otherwise I had a $900 gun that I couldn't stand to shoot. Hopefully Kimber will wake up soon and get another grip option out there for this fine revolver.
buff51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:55 PM   #8

Originally Posted by buff51 View Post
My name is Ed Buffaloe and I put a set of J-Frame Pachmayr grips on my K6S. I work in leather, so I was able to make leather shims for both the front and rear of the grip. But I had to move the grip screw. I filled in the old screw holes with black epoxy putty. I already had a grip screw and escutcheon, as well as a special drill bit for insetting them into a grip, that I had long ago purchased from Brownell's. I used a regular bit to drill the appropriate size hole through each side of the grip. Then I used the special bit to inset the screw and escutcheon--this was made somewhat simpler by the fact that the Pachmayr grips have a steel plate in them for added strength, so I put the insets down to the level of the steel plate on each side. When I put it all together, the grip still wobbled a bit because the new grip screw is set too low. So I carefully cut out a piece of leather to fit perfectly inside the grip frame right at the point where the screw goes through, and then I drilled it so the grip screw would go through it. This allowed me to tighten the grips enough that they do not wobble in the least, even when firing heavy .357 loads. The grips are pulled snug to the frame on each side. There was still a gap at the top where the K6S frame narrows more than a J-frame grip. I used black silicone to fill in this space. Voila! The grips work great. Yes, it was a pain in the butt, but otherwise I had a $900 gun that I couldn't stand to shoot. Hopefully Kimber will wake up soon and get another grip option out there for this fine revolver.

Thank you for the post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Search tags for this page

kimber grips

kimber k6 do j frame grips fit

kimber k6s grips

kimber k6s grips j frame

Click on a term to search for related topics.