First Kimber! First Failure! - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Revolver Forum

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2017, 06:45 PM   #1

First Kimber! First Failure!

Hey, all! I'm a new Kimber owner and new to the forum. I recently purchased a K6s and it failed on my first trip to the range. I loaded a cylinder of Federal 158 gr JSP's and wasn't able to make it through the first 6 rounds without issues. The trigger, which WAS butter-smooth, began to drag and the cylinder started to bind. Eventually the cylinder locked-up solid and wouldn't turn at all. I have a video but don't know how to post it.
I sent it off to the factory and, after about 3 weeks, will be getting it back Monday. I never received any info in what caused the failure or what repairs were made.
I have to say that I'm not fully confident carrying it now. I'm pretty disappointed.
Whiskeyslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-25-2017, 06:58 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois Whiskeyslinger, how about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership?
Whiskeyslinger likes this.

Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:49 PM   #3

Will do 👍🏻

Old 08-25-2017, 08:08 PM   #4

No oil?.......
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:50 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Shootinit View Post
No oil?.......
That sounds a little more serious than just being "dry". It sounds more like something "shot loose". From "butter smooth" to "locked up" is a big jump. I have a K6 but have never been inside it and don't know enough about the action internals to even guess about this issue. But I'll be on the look out for anything like this as I continue to break mine in. Thanks for the report ....always appreciated.
PaulWVa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:26 PM   #6

Confidence

Originally Posted by Whiskeyslinger View Post
Hey, all! I'm a new Kimber owner and new to the forum. I recently purchased a K6s and it failed on my first trip to the range. I loaded a cylinder of Federal 158 gr JSP's and wasn't able to make it through the first 6 rounds without issues. The trigger, which WAS butter-smooth, began to drag and the cylinder started to bind. Eventually the cylinder locked-up solid and wouldn't turn at all. I have a video but don't know how to post it.
I sent it off to the factory and, after about 3 weeks, will be getting it back Monday. I never received any info in what caused the failure or what repairs were made.
I have to say that I'm not fully confident carrying it now. I'm pretty disappointed.
Well..., confidence only really comes with successful experience, which, hopefully, will start for you now. Others here probably have more wheel gun experience, and mine is with Colt, S&W, and Ruger, not Kimber. I suggest you check your ammo first, and the effects of firing. If the B/C gap is real tight (which I suspect it is) and you have deposits on the front of the cylinder from firing, things can get frustrating in a hurry. Also, assuming the K6s has an ejector star, keep the area of the cylinder under it clean. A good wheel should be rock solid reliable with reasonable care - all of mine have been. Good luck

Jim
PaulWVa likes this.
bldr52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:41 PM   #7

stainless can gall pretty fast if not lubed

Originally Posted by PaulWVa View Post
That sounds a little more serious than just being "dry". It sounds more like something "shot loose". From "butter smooth" to "locked up" is a big jump. I have a K6 but have never been inside it and don't know enough about the action internals to even guess about this issue. But I'll be on the look out for anything like this as I continue to break mine in. Thanks for the report ....always appreciated.
PaulWVa likes this.
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:56 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Shootinit View Post
stainless can gall pretty fast if not lubed
I agree...lubrication is a must...as I say I'm new to the K6 and I'll be sure to keep it well lubed. I've owned a couple of dozen revolvers and shot thousands of rounds and most every revolver function issue I've experienced has been ammo related....hanging primers with reloads or bullets jumping during recoil, also usually with reloads.
PaulWVa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:46 AM   #9

I appreciate all the opinions guys! No, not a lubrication issue. Cleaned and lubed properly before firing. Not to mention the fact that this happened during the FIRST six rounds!
I've owned many Colt, Ruger, and Smith wheelguns. I've never experienced something like this. It was definitely a mechanical failure of some kind. Hopefully I can gain some insight as to what happened. I'll post an update after it comes back on Monday.
Chuck43, cousinmark and PaulWVa like this.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:29 PM   #10

Wink Know Your Problem!!

While I do not own a Kimber revolver, I am familiar with a revolver with a fine trigger, that then had an issue with the cylinder binding up.

Like all other Kimbers, the K6s is built to very close tolerances. I experienced the binding issue with a Dan Wesson revolver back in the mid-80's. As with the K6s, the Dan Wesson Model 15-2HV was built to very close tolerances. Well, the problem of binding is caused by dirty ammo! Particles of partially burnt powder get caught under the extractor and force the extractor back against the recoil shield and can quickly make the trigger pull extremely heavy and even lock up the cylinder completely.

I was using my Dan Wesson to shoot a metallic silhouette match and was using very heavy magnum handloads assembled using Hercules (now Alliant) 2400 powder. While generating maximum velocity, this powder is also known for leaving a lot of partially burnt powder behind. That cost me a high finishing position in that match. When I got home and started to clean the revolver, I discovered a fair sized quantity of partially burnt powder granules stuck under the extractor star. As soon as I brushed them away, the cylinder freed up and the trigger pull returned to the nice clean crisp pull that I bought the gun for.

My advice is to try several brands of ammo and settle on a nice clean burning one. I recommend that you try Hornady or Speer .38 Spl. and/or .357 Magnum ammunition. Avoid reloads completely. They are known for being quite dirty. If you start to feel the cylinder binding, open the action, push back the extractor and brush out the area under the extractor star (an old toothbrush works great for this). Then you should be good to go!!

Give this a try and let me know how it works for you. The K6s should loosen up some after the break in period. Then it won't be as picky about the ammo that it likes.

Good luck!!
starnovi and cnutco like this.

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

failure to fire k6s

k6s failure

kimber k6s failures

Click on a term to search for related topics.