Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Revolver Forum

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By JC45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2018, 03:17 PM   #1

Dovetail question

Hi!

Do any of you guys own a 1911 style kimber and if so do you know if its the same dovetail for the rear sight?
nydde is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-08-2018, 06:18 PM   #2

I found this information, I’m not sure it’s 100% correct but it was all I could find.

Kimber has it's own sight cuts.
Front: 65 x .330" x .070”
Rear: 60 x .3605" x .194"

Here is something else I found regarding dovetail cuts.

Common 1911 Sight Dovetails
Chuck43, 2sharp2, Tejun and 1 others like this.
JC45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:02 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply!

Been away working in the woods this weekend so did not see the message until now.

I was playing around with the idea to try and adapt/modify a existing 1911 sight for the K6S, if the dovetail was/is the same it would make the process alot more possible :P
nydde is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2018, 03:55 AM   #4

I needed a new front sight for my Stainless II Target 9mm and no-one locally could tell me what the dovetail cut was. (Not a fault of the pistol but my fault, over exuberance with a file).

I called Kimber and the sales consultant was great. He told me that they use a proprietary dovetail cut but that Heinie, Kensight and Novak all make 1911 sights for Kimber cuts. He also informed me of the height I would need for the front sight (.180)

The bad news for me is that Kimber require both a US shipping and credit card billing address to sell replacement sights. I have a US postal address but all my credit cards have New Zealand billing addresses.

I searched Heinie, Kensite, Brownells and Midway's websites using "Kimber 1911 sights" as a search tool. Brownells will export (under US$100 no export permit required but State Department paperwork does need to be completed). Heinie and Midway will not sell outside the US even though Midway was the only one to have Kimber manufactured replacement sights.

In the end I bought from Midway as they had genuine Kimber replacement parts and I shipped through a reshipper. I had a slight issue with my credit card billing address and my phone number but was able to get around that by using the reshipper phone and zip code. A bit more expensive but much cheaper than if I could have purchased locally (which I can't as not even the importer will bring in replacement sights).

And actually, if I could have waited an additional two months I could have purchased it personally from Midway as I will be passing their front door in October on a US road trip. Unfortunately I needed the pistol for a competition before then.
Kiwi Cop is offline   Reply With Quote