New potential K6S owner: a few questions - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Revolver Forum

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2018, 09:47 PM   #1

New potential K6S owner: a few questions

I am seriously considering a pair of K6S revolvers but I have some questions if any owners or other knowledgeable people could help.

1. Is there a difference in triggers between the models? Specifically is the K6S CDP supposed to be a step above the other models trigger-wise? I read somewhere it was supposed to be a further improvement/refinement of the baseline K6S trigger.

2. The trigger is already generally good but do people see added improvement with significant use/dry-firing?

3. How is reliability? I tend to dry-fire a LOT. I will almost exclusively shoot 38 special with this gun, not full house magnums. Does it hold up to heavy (repeated) use? As an example, I recently had 800 live rounds through a new 1911 the first weekend I owned it. I'm sure these would not be quite that heavy, but since they would be EDC, I will dry fire the living hell out of them as well as getting regular range time. No broken firing pins or other issues? They hold up?

4. In the event there is a problem, how is Kimber service and turn-around? Is the warranty lifetime?

5. Does CT have a green laser grip boot grip or even full-sized grip for these yet?

6. Are there any custom options from Kimber beyond sights and grips?

Thanks.

Last edited by Speederlander; 08-09-2018 at 06:12 AM.
Speederlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-09-2018, 05:23 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois Speederlander, I'm not a K6 owner and can't answer your questions but I'm sure someone will be along to help you soon. In the meantime how about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership?

Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:50 AM   #3

1. I know of no difference in trigger quality between the models and can't imagine a way to improve the standard trigger.
2. My trigger has not changed after two years of ownership.
3. I can't answer the reliability question but mine has worked perfectly after a couple thousnad rounds and I expect it will run long after I do.When I dry fire I use snap caps for no other reason than they make sense to me.
4. I have never had the need for customer service for either of my Kimbers so I cannot help with that question.
5. Mine has the factory red laser grips which work perfectly. The green laser is cool but their advantage seems to be in daylight and at long distance and if I am shooting at somebody at long distance in the daylight I will be using my AR. The red dots work just fine for normal SD purposes.
6. Swapping the factory sights: See #5.

340pd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2018, 09:15 AM   #4

Originally Posted by Speederlander View Post
I am seriously considering a pair of K6S revolvers but I have some questions if any owners or other knowledgeable people could help.

1. Is there a difference in triggers between the models? Specifically is the K6S CDP supposed to be a step above the other models trigger-wise? I read somewhere it was supposed to be a further improvement/refinement of the baseline K6S trigger.

2. The trigger is already generally good but do people see added improvement with significant use/dry-firing?

3. How is reliability? I tend to dry-fire a LOT. I will almost exclusively shoot 38 special with this gun, not full house magnums. Does it hold up to heavy (repeated) use? As an example, I recently had 800 live rounds through a new 1911 the first weekend I owned it. I'm sure these would not be quite that heavy, but since they would be EDC, I will dry fire the living hell out of them as well as getting regular range time. No broken firing pins or other issues? They hold up?

4. In the event there is a problem, how is Kimber service and turn-around? Is the warranty lifetime?

5. Does CT have a green laser grip boot grip or even full-sized grip for these yet?

6. Are there any custom options from Kimber beyond sights and grips?

Thanks.
Speederlander, welcome to the site from Tennessee. I don't own a K6S. I did hold one in my hand for a long time at Bass Pro Shop trying to at least like the way it felt in my hand enough to buy it...didn't happen. Your mileage may vary. Here's what I know.
1. Not heard of any trigger difference. I'm sure there would be difference from revolver to revolver but not on purpose.
2. I don't know.
3. Some owners reported a few problems when the K6 first hit the market but not so much lately.
4. No worries Kimber customer service is First Rate!!!
5. No Green laser. I would prefer green also. It's a proven fact green laser is more visible to the eye. I can see it way better but I have old eyes.
6. Custom options, I don't think so.
Tejun likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:20 AM   #5

Thanks both of you. Appreciate the responses. That helps.

So the real difference between models comes down to finish, sights and grips.
2sharp2 likes this.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:30 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Speederlander View Post
Thanks both of you. Appreciate the responses. That helps.

So the real difference between models comes down to finish, sights and grips.
Simply YES!

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:03 PM   #7

Buying my first gun and chose the 3in k6s for EDC and home defense. Went to pick it up at my FFL today and upon inspection it had a slightly canted barrel. Very disappointed after all the reviews I saw commenting on quality. I refused delivery now have to deal with customer service of dealer and return.
2sharp2 likes this.
Kenrabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:25 PM   #8

I have a K6S. I have shot around 500 rounds of 125 gr 357 Magnum.

I changed to Wood grips since I like the easier draw from the pocket.

No reliability issues. The trigger is smooth and it doesn’t change with dry firing or shooting, as of yet.

I have handled the various models and I have dry fired them. They all have the same action, trigger weight and feel. Only differences are Tritium sights, lasers or grips, as well as one with a black finish, as opposed to stainless.

I ended my relationship with my 640 since I wanted actual sights and a higher capacity. Pocket carry is easily done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
CDR_Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:59 AM   #9

Do Altamont grips allow three fingers or not quite long enough?
Old 08-14-2018, 10:25 AM   #10

I bought the K6S 3"& LOVE IT! The trigger is nice but I had my gunsmith do "his". magic on the trigger.It's even better now! I've delt with Kimber customer service & have nothing but good things to say.I've shot 357 mag.& didn't have any problems but I will edc 38+for now.Too be fair a lot of people will like the 2"better.....I like 3"better...to each his own.Thought of buying a 2"to go with the 3"....decided not too.
Jim
Chuck43 likes this.
James Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote