What ammo goes in your K6s - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Revolver Forum

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2018, 09:54 PM   #1

What ammo goes in your K6s

Looking for a good carry load for my 2" K6s. What are you all carrying, and how does it work as in POA/POI?
OldScout^06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-22-2018, 04:07 AM   #2

OldScout, I don’t have a K6s but I think this is something your going to have to figure out yourself because all guns react differently, even if they are the same gun. I’m sure some of the K6s owners are going to tell you what they use and it may narrow your search but you may find something better for your revolver on your own.
Chuck43, 2sharp2 and Jimmo952 like this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:42 AM   #3

I run 135 grain short barrel Gold Dots. At SD range, POI is right on with POA.
OldScout^06 likes this.
Gaius is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2018, 02:49 PM   #4

I don't carry .357 rounds for SD because I don't want to be flash-blinded and deaf. I also want a follow-up shot, though the gun doesn't get too out of control from Magnum loads I've shot (my reloads of 140gr Hornady XTP HPs with a target load of power).

For SD I use only factory, and that gun packs Hornady Critical Defense .38 +p 110 gr bullets. It shoots them with little to no recoil and the Mozambique drill is easy as pie. POA and POI are great at SD ranges for me.

Be sure to look at the Lucky Gunner ballistics data before you make your choice. I'm glad I did.
OldScout^06 likes this.
Old School Wheelgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:26 PM   #5

I run handloaded 148 grain Wadcutters with 3.5 grains of Unique In all my carry revolvers (their all 357) 38 special is known to not expand even with +p especially through heavy clothing. Wad cutters cut a nice hole all the way through. Known for penetration.
OldScout^06 likes this.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:22 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Albert.Cairns View Post
I run handloaded 148 grain Wadcutters with 3.5 grains of Unique In all my carry revolvers (their all 357) 38 special is known to not expand even with +p especially through heavy clothing. Wad cutters cut a nice hole all the way through. Known for penetration.
While the 148 gr WC is a good round for penetration, the Lucky Gunner tests show that modern HPs do indeed expand + penetrate, even in .38 and .38 +p .

For the Hornady 110 gr .38 +p shot from a K6S identical to mine, they found a five-shot average 14.1" of penetration + .44" expansion.

Note that "Out of the 18 loads we tested, 12 of them had at least one bullet become clogged with fabric and completely fail to expand. " That would not describe the round I use. The FTX bullet is designed with a flexible tip that will permit penetrating clothing and then the HP opens up in soft tissue.

Full data here: https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/rev...llistics-test/

I'd prefer both expansion and penetration. I worry that 1) a WC you describe would over-penetrate and 2) you'd be in hot water when an attorney paints you as a gun nut who handloads. Massad Ayoob has written about that peril: https://gundigest.com/handguns/conce...oncealed-carry

As much as I love reloading for my wheel-guns, I pack only factory ammo.
OldScout^06 likes this.

Last edited by Old School Wheelgunner; 10-25-2018 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:38 PM   #7

I'll stick with the wad cutters, many a bad guys went down with them over the years. They have proven themselves over years on the farm with every kind of critter. Pigs in general. And heavy winter clothings not a problem. As far as using hand loads for defence, a bullets a bullet. (Even better, their not EVIL hollow points)

Last edited by Albert.Cairns; 10-25-2018 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:17 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Albert.Cairns View Post
I'll stick with the wad cutters, many a bad guys went down with them over the years. They have proven themselves over years on the farm with every kind of critter. Pigs in general. And heavy winter clothings not a problem. As far as using hand loads for defence, a bullets a bullet. (Even better, their not EVIL hollow points
We all pick what works best for us. The Winchester WCs the team tested had superb penetration and I stand corrected: at that depth it would not over penetrate, as some .357 110 gr bullets did in their testing.

As for "evil" HPs? I hope never to be involved in a defensive shooting, but if I were, I'd be sure my attorney noted that I packed ammo labeled "critical DEFENSE" and that HPs are common for self-defense rounds.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:34 AM   #9

Bottom line is no matter what you use if its a clear case of self defence your good. Ammo will have no bearing on it.

Unless you live in New Jersey.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:57 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
I run 135 grain short barrel Gold Dots. At SD range, POI is right on with POA.
Same here; performs well for me with not much more recoil than high quality 38+p’s. Loving the DCR, and it drew a lot of attention when I ran it in IDPA.
Mark NM is offline   Reply With Quote