Will Kimber make more revolvers? - Page 2 - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Revolver Forum

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2018, 02:46 PM   #11

Originally Posted by Albert.Cairns View Post
I agree with your theory there Jim, 22 lr or maybe a 9mm variant would be more possible than a 41. But I can only hope. Last one that's available in 41 mag right now as far as a Snub nose carry gun is the Ruger Redhawk. Smith still makes the 57 but not in a Snub carry gun. Probably not enough market for the off caliber but its a great round.
I agree with you it would be cool as hel%.

It's a great design. I'm sure we all agree it should be developed further.
Chuck43 likes this.
Jimmo952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-27-2018, 06:12 AM   #12

I personally think Kimber making Revolvers is the same as SONY coming out with a new Beta Machine. They are fighting an uphill battle with RUGER, COLT to some extent and S&W who have a long standing in the arena. I can get any of the other brands lot cheaper than Kimber.
byern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:32 AM   #13

Wink

Originally Posted by byern View Post
I can get any of the other brands lot cheaper than Kimber.
Ahh yes you can....but quality costs.

Old 10-27-2018, 02:14 PM   #14

Originally Posted by Jimmo952 View Post
Ahh yes you can....but quality costs.
I have to agree. They did a great job with the K6.
Chuck43 and AlexTDiGiacomo like this.
Holster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:32 AM   #15

Perhaps I used the wrong word "Cheap" where as I should have used the word "Inexpensive." Now. I have 3 Kimbers (2 in .45 and one in 9mm). Both .45s had to go back to the factory for failure to extract, feed, etc. One of the 45s was rather expensive and every time I shot it the safety would, on its own, set. The one in 9mm was perfect from the box. Now, I own several 19ll's in 45 (Ruger, Colt, Remington, Springfield and a HK which was my duty pistol for years until retirement. Not one has ever, ever been to the factory for anything.

Now, I own 3 rather old Revolvers in .38 cal (2 2" and one Mod 64.5) They were carried extensively over the years as my backup/duty pistols. They probably have over 2000 rounds thru them over the years and not one has ever failed to function without a hitch (including the one that went up side the head of an idiot who tried to take it from me years back).

Now, reading thru the posts since Kimber came out with their revolver, I have read post after post of problems which required the revolver being set back to the factory.

Like Obama said "If you like your (Kimber), you can keep your (Kimber).

Me, I'll keep my old, trusty S&Ws. Sometimes, old is better than new.

Last edited by byern; 10-29-2018 at 06:35 AM.
byern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:50 PM   #16

Only about 300 rounds through my K6S so far, but I'm loving it. It's a high quality gun. I own a S&W 64, a Ruger GP100, and a Taurus 85--an old one that is very well made.

The K6S has a great trigger, is DAO, and the company designed it with the input of Grant Cunningham. It's just what I wanted in a pocket gun.

As I've said elsewhere here, I'd like a DA gun from Kimber with a 4" or 6" barrel. Might keep me from buying a Dan Wesson 715.
Old School Wheelgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 07:52 AM   #17

Originally Posted by byern View Post
Perhaps I used the wrong word "Cheap" where as I should have used the word "Inexpensive." Now. I have 3 Kimbers (2 in .45 and one in 9mm). Both .45s had to go back to the factory for failure to extract, feed, etc. One of the 45s was rather expensive and every time I shot it the safety would, on its own, set. The one in 9mm was perfect from the box. Now, I own several 19ll's in 45 (Ruger, Colt, Remington, Springfield and a HK which was my duty pistol for years until retirement. Not one has ever, ever been to the factory for anything.

Now, I own 3 rather old Revolvers in .38 cal (2 2" and one Mod 64.5) They were carried extensively over the years as my backup/duty pistols. They probably have over 2000 rounds thru them over the years and not one has ever failed to function without a hitch (including the one that went up side the head of an idiot who tried to take it from me years back).

Now, reading thru the posts since Kimber came out with their revolver, I have read post after post of problems which required the revolver being set back to the factory.

Like Obama said "If you like your (Kimber), you can keep your (Kimber).

Me, I'll keep my old, trusty S&Ws. Sometimes, old is better than new.
Hello Byern, You are comparing Smith's you already own with buying a brand new revolver. Of course the Smith's are more cost effective and a safer choice.

I have owned and shot and collected many Smith revolvers. They can be superb. It's not uncommon though for Smith revolvers to need a little TLC as delivered from the factory.

I still consider a well tuned K frame trigger to be the DA trigger by which all others are compared.

The way I look at the K6s is to appreciate it for what it is. Kimber put out a very good small revolver. It's size, capacity, sights and excellent out of the box DA trigger come in a package no other small revolver manufacturer has.

If you compare the K6 to a Smith J frame, the K6 will have a better trigger, higher capacity and in most cases better sights.

If you compare the K6 to a Smith K frame, the capacity is the same. The Kimber is smaller though, will most likely have better sights and a better factory trigger (than new production Smiths). I am not aware of any K frame Smith is currently selling that is set up better for concealed carry than the K6.

Guns are personal things. I'm not trying to convince you your choices are wrong. I'm simply trying to articulate why, speaking for myself, the choice between a Smith or the Kimber, especially for CC, is not such a slam dunk in favor of Smith as one might think.

Regards
Old 05-25-2019, 12:37 AM   #18

Originally Posted by If1Hitu View Post
Just wondering if Kimber will be making only the K6 revolver?
If they do I hope they will extend the grip area. A 4" or 6" would look out of place with the current grip configuration
Jimmo952 likes this.
bimmerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:52 AM   #19

The revolver I'd love to see Kimber come out with would be an alloy framed version of the K6. Less weight is good for carry. Less good for shooting but for a gun carried a lot and shot a little it can work. I'd think of it as a modern version of the old Smith Model 12. Or maybe a Smith 642 all grown up with better sights, trigger, capacity and shootability.

I'm not sure if an alloy frame would stand up to 357 mag pressures but even a .38+p rated gun would be useful.

To be honest, I'm surprised Kimber hasn't made this move already.
AlexTDiGiacomo likes this.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:31 AM   #20

I just bought a Newly Released Colt Cobra, and was a little disappointed to see that it has a 2 piece (Sleeve in Shroud) barrel. I notice that Ruger, and S&W have gone this way also. I was pleased to see that my new 3" K6S DASA has a Conventionally Bored Barrel. On my Wishlist from the Fine Folks in Yonkers would be a 6" N frame sized 44 Mag.
Nipperdog is offline   Reply With Quote