Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Revolver Forum

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By johnj6425
  • 2 Post By Ceapea
  • 1 Post By johnj6425

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2018, 01:16 PM   #1

Front Sight Replacement

I've got a K6S with the black ramp front sight and want to replace it with the fiber optic sight available from Kimber.

Has anyone installed this sight on their gun? Kimber indicates that minor drilling is or may be required. I would like to confirm if gunsmithing is really needed for this installation.

Any other options for sights that I should consider?

v/r,
John
johnj6425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-28-2018, 06:19 PM   #2

Looking forward to this answer myself. I've an early K6S blue-grip, and I filed down the black ramp because it was shooting so low. It's great now, but a tritium front sight would be even better (provided it too is not too tall!).
Old School Wheelgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:27 AM   #3

I've been unable to track down any information with regards if drilling is required to replace the front sight. Nothing on YouTube and found nothing with generic Google searches. I plan on calling Kimber this week. I'm assuming the fiber optic sights sold on the Kimber website are the same ones used on the production models. It should be a simple task to change them out. But I'm wrong a million times a day just ask my wife.
Chuck43 likes this.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:21 AM   #4

I spoke with Kimber customer service this morning and drilling is most likely required to install either the fiber optic or night sights. The custom shop charges $35.00 for the service and another $30.00 for the return shipment of the gun.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:52 AM   #5

The good news is they will sell and or replace the front sight. The bad news is the front sight is pinned which makes replacing it a little harder than some other designs.

I wonder why Kimber didn't go with a dovetailed front sight? Is there not enough metal at the front of the barrel to allow for that?
Jimmo952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:36 AM   #6

Most revolvers front sights, regardless of the manufacturer, are pinned. There are a select few that are dovetail, however.
46QJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:41 PM   #7

My GP100 has an access point above the muzzle that you push in to release the sight. I swapped in a fiber-optic in less than five minutes, including getting out the gun and unpacking the sight.

Curious to see if it's as easily done for the K6S. Probably not! Since it's a pocket gun, I doubt that I'd have much of a chance to aim at PD range, anyhow.
Old School Wheelgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:12 PM   #8

I had to do the same thing (drill the front sight once it was in place) on a CZ Tactical Sports pistol. I too wanted the FO sight. Bought it from CZ, pulled (pushed??) out the pin on the original and placed the new sight in the slot. Using the specified drill bit, it took about 5 to 8 seconds of drilling to make the hole for the pin. It seems to me that the CZ pin was larger than that on the Kimber. Drill bits that small are usually not just lying around the house. But they can be had for little expense, from an ACE or Lowes, etc...
Chuck43 and zxc like this.
Ceapea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:34 PM   #9

Follow-up: Kimber installed a set of 3 dot night sights and could not be happier. Well worth the money and sight picture has greatly improved.
zxc likes this.