Firing pin spring - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Revolver Forum

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2018, 11:39 AM   #1

Firing pin spring

OK, here's one maybe I shouldn't admit to, but anyway...

I pulled my k6s apart (4 digit serial #) to clean the guts. No big deal, it's basically a s&w clone for the most part. The question comes as I pulled the firing pin. Before I did, I noticed that it had very little spring in it. When I got it out the spring came out in two pieces. It was broken in half. Has anyone seen this with a fp spring? I have not. Anyway, I also have a lot of spare parts around for j frame s&w's. I looked at the firing pin spring from theirs. It looked close and seemed to fit the firing pin size wise. I used it and noticed it has maybe a little more spring in it than the kimber.

Was just wondering what anyone's thoughts were/are on this swap since getting a fp spring from kimber without sending the gun in, would be next to impossible. Seems the one main drawback to the kimber over the s&w's. The gun have around 500 to 750 rounds through it.
340pd likes this.
jtmo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-20-2018, 01:18 PM   #2

I would recommend sending it back to Kimber. I recently had my K6S back for repair and the customer service department was excellent. Turnaround time was just a little over a week and will make it's way back with authorized parts.
Supertool and Wingnut like this.
johnj6425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 02:16 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Just curious, have you tried calling Kimbers customer service and been told they won't send you a spring or are you just assuming?

Old 12-20-2018, 02:22 PM   #4

Well, in honesty, I'm assuming. I've called them before to ask about other parts (not many) on the k6s. They've told me flat out the only parts they're allowed to sell are the screws, as in side plate screws and yoke assembly screw and screw parts. So, in reality, I have not called on the firing pins spring as I figured they'd tell me first, that I should not have disassembled and second, they'd fix it if I sent the gun in (probably not under warranty). I hate doing that for a $2.00 part that's replaced easily. But you are correct. I am assuming. I've emailed grant cunningham before and he responded, so maybe I'll email and ask if he knows anything about the springs being the same or close.

I'm thinking the s&w spring is so close if not exact, that I'd give it a go. It appears to be functioning with that spring now.
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 12-20-2018, 02:44 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Never assume anything about Kimbers written warranty (1 year). They've been know to go way beyond what it actually says. I have a friend that bought a well worn used Kimber, sent it in for repairs and it came back looking like a new gun...... no charge.
Bigdog likes this.
Old 12-20-2018, 02:51 PM   #6

Thanks. And it's not the one year warranty that concerns me here, it's I disassembled it. I did email grant and I'll see what he says, if anything. You are correct though about kimber. I've dealt wit their customer service many times and they are a pleasure to deal with and WILL go above and beyond in many/most cases. I just don't understand the people who complain about kimbers customer service. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I just don't see the reason for all the complaining. Anyway, if I don't hear something soon from the expert, I probably will call them about it. What's the worse they could say? :-) Luckily, I have more than one k6s so I'm not down if this spring doesn't work. Like I said, when I've asked before, they were pretty adamant about not selling parts for this revolver...at least not yet. I think they're still in the mode of, we'd like to see any issues in case we have to make adjustments before we turn parts out for sale.
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 12-20-2018, 02:55 PM   #7

I agree with Chuck it's a good idea to call Kimber for support. I purchased my K6S used and it's a 2016 model. Kimber did not care and fix my gun with no charge.
Chuck43 likes this.
johnj6425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 01:21 PM   #8

OK, well, I'm going to have to probably eat my words. I called Kimber support and explained what happened to the fp spring. Of course they had the obligatory we don't recommend pulling these apart like that. But anyway, he seemed fairly sure he could send me a replacement spring. So in a week or so, we'll see if he can do that. Hard to beat that for customer service.

P.S. I did put the s&w spring in and took it to the range and fired about 75 rounds. Never a hiccup, so I believe they are pretty much the same springs. And I did hear back from Grant and he said an earlier preproduction revolver fp spring looked real close so far as he could tell to the s&w spring. He said if the spring fits the pin and the fp retracts, I should be good to go and it appears from my firing that I am. And if Kimber could send me the exact spring, I will put it in.
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:28 PM   #9

I am more interested in how did that little spring break in the first place. I have tens of thousands of rounds fired through a small number of S&W's and I have never heard or seen one break.
That said, this is good information as I have a couple of Apex kits where I never replaced that spring so I now know they will fit the Kimber if needed.

Last edited by 340pd; 12-28-2018 at 09:28 AM.
340pd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:20 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Good to hear jtmo3, it's amazing what a polite conversation with a Kimber customer representative can accomplish.