K6s hard cast ammo velocity - Page 2 - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Revolver Forum

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2019, 07:35 PM   #11

I love loading and shooting .38/.357s. I've been loading them since around 1980 or so. I know I've loaded thousands for all kinds of uses. From heavy whitetail loads to "bunny busters" for rabbit hunting. From shooting pop cans at 20 yds. to 100 yd. NRA Silhouettes.

The first thing I ever loaded was a box of .357 mags and loading a couple a hundred range rounds is still one of my favorite pastimes.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-07-2019, 07:44 PM   #12

Thank you guys for the responses. I think the moderate velocities that you have suggested have motivated me to opt for the 3 inch barrel. I'd prefer to stay on the higher end of what's suggested to be possible. I'll try working up that 148 gr load and see what happens. I know I don't need more velocity necessarily for adequate penetration but moving that bullet faster puts more energy out there to deal with a tough bone that may be hit. Perhaps the only reasonable shot at a charging black bear will be to the head.
In any case I sincerely thank you guys for your great suggestions.
Lousywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:53 PM   #13

Originally Posted by Lousywings View Post
...Also on a side note. Buffalo bore claims 1302 fps 180 gr 357 out of a 3 inch j frame.
WOW! While I'm sure Buffalo Bore knows a whole lot more about ammo loading than I do but WOW! Just looking through some of my loading books, including the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, that would be an extremely high pressure load. The manual doesn't get much over 1300 fps and that's out of a 8 3/8" N-frame!

I would think that would be REALLY hard on a J-frame and the hand that held it. I don't think my old paws would like that much.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:21 PM   #14

I got that info from the buffalo bore website. I agree that it sounds like a terribly painful thing to shoot. But I would consider putting one as my 5th or 6th round in a bear defense situation. I figure that if it comes to needing 5 or 6 a sore hand is the least of my troubles.
PaulWVa likes this.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:53 PM   #15

Originally Posted by Albert.Cairns View Post
The loading data says their right around 800 to 900 fps. With the 3.5 to 4.0 grains. I know their only 38 but they recoil light and penetrate deep. No need for more velocity as your not expanding a hollow point. They penetrate all the way through a hog so a clawed critter shouldn't be much of a match for them.
But a hog ain't trying to eat your Head!
PaulWVa likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:55 PM   #16

Originally Posted by Lousywings View Post
I got that info from the buffalo bore website. I agree that it sounds like a terribly painful thing to shoot. But I would consider putting one as my 5th or 6th round in a bear defense situation. I figure that if it comes to needing 5 or 6 a sore hand is the least of my troubles.
Show us what you decide. I guess if you don't post later on you got "et by a bar." Hillbilly humor.
PaulWVa likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:26 PM   #17

Hey 'wings just a note in the current American Handgunner I noticed an article on some cool Ruger revolvers that speaks of a Buffalo Bore load with 180 grn Hard Cast Gas Check bullets at 1435 fps. The key words here being "gas check". I was wondering how they were getting these high velocities with lead bullets. Now I get it gas checks! I've always been taught to keep lead bullets under 1000 fps to prevent barrel "leading" it's the gas check that allows for these fast lead bullet loads.

This would be a real handful out of a K6 2"or even the 3" but should make for a serious "bad animal" load.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:46 PM   #18

The SNS poly coated hardcast bullets can be driven up to 1500 fps. I've never had a leading problem with these bullets.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:32 PM   #19

Yes, it sounds like a great animal load. And yes, sounds like it will hurt to shoot. From all my research so far I'm fairly comfortable with the ballistics from a 2 inch or 3 inch barrel. Leaning towards the 3 inch for the longer sight radius. So I guess the decision will be based on how well I feel with the 3 vs 2 inch barrel on my belt, also depends on how soon my gun shop can get me the one I choose with an exposed hammer.
Thank you all for the great responses!
Old 01-10-2019, 04:35 PM   #20

Originally Posted by Albert.Cairns View Post
The SNS poly coated hardcast bullets can be driven up to 1500 fps. I've never had a leading problem with these bullets.
Those sound interesting I'll have to look into them. I have some Barne's Plated Bullets they say you can load them faster than plain lead but not up to high speed jacked bullets. But I really just load for punching paper and steel plates. I don't really need to load hot. I buy factory stuff for carry. But I do like to load a little more pop for my .44 mag rifle 'coz it's fun to shoot and doesn't try to rip my fingers off.