Newbie needs revolver recommendation - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Revolver Forum

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2019, 12:07 PM   #1

Newbie needs revolver recommendation

I own a S&W 642 revolver & 9mm Shield. Considering S&W 640 PRO(#178044) .357 revolver and Kimber K6s. Have not shot either except dry fire in LGS. Reviewed basic mfr. specs of each, but am unsure because the Kimber has a short "track record" among users. Any functional "problems" with the Kimber thus far? ANY comments much appreciated. Thanks in advance to all who respond.
ron4735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-25-2019, 12:11 PM   #2

I don't have any personal experience with the K6 revolver but there are a lot of reviews on this forum that you could read through.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:23 PM   #3

Newbie needs revolver recommendation

Originally Posted by ron4735 View Post
I own a S&W 642 revolver & 9mm Shield. Considering S&W 640 PRO(#178044) .357 revolver and Kimber K6s. Have not shot either except dry fire in LGS. Reviewed basic mfr. specs of each, but am unsure because the Kimber has a short "track record" among users. Any functional "problems" with the Kimber thus far? ANY comments much appreciated. Thanks in advance to all who respond.

I have a few revolvers from 22 Magnum to the 500 Magnum.

I have owned the S&W 640 and 442.

The Kimber K6S has a better Trigger, actual sights (instead of a channel), and a higher capacity.

It is set up as combat sighting (cover target with front sight).

I have no reliability issues with my pistol. I have never done any modifications to my gun, apart from the grips.

It still pockets easily into my front pocket in an Uncle Mike’s Size 4 holster.

6 round speed loaders work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by CDR_Glock; 01-25-2019 at 12:45 PM.
CDR_Glock is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2019, 12:23 PM   #4

I have had 0 issues with my K6s after 13 months of daily carry and monthly range trips. I probably have about 600 rounds through it and have only had one misfire. The round that misfired had a strong primer strike so I attribute it to a bad primer. It shoots better than my Smith's and my SP101. Note that 50-60 rounds of .357 magnum can do a number on the web of your skin between your thumb and forefinger. Most carry .38 special +p.

There are some mixed reviews but seems to be more of a personal preference. My recommendation would be to find the models at a range for rent or find a friend who will let you borrow theirs and put a few rounds to see what you would like best before you buy. I love mine but go through spells of swapping my daily carry between the K6s and a P938.

Good luck!
Doug

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
djcomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:43 PM   #5

I don't own a K6S. I went to Bass Pro to hold one in my big fat hand and I am glad I did, no deal for me I didn't like the way the K6 felt in my hand, looked great felt "off?" I would hold one before purchase just in case if you can. I was totally surprised I didn't like it, that almost never happens.

Mostly trouble free reviews on KT but there has been a few issues that required a free ride back to the Mothership for correction.

They are perfect and work great for lots of folks.

Gold Combat LE
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
CDP Ultra
Raptor Ultra Stainless
RCP Ultra
SIS Custom
SIS Pro
SIS Ultra
TLE Pro (TFS)
Stainless Raptor
Custom Two Tone .45/460 Rowland
Super Carry Ultra Plus
84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:58 PM   #6

Let me say first off … I understand we all like different things, we all have different size hands. I have big mitts with long fingers … I wear 5-11 shooting gloves that are XXL and a little tight.

I'm a big revolver guy too. I've owned a bunch … .22 to .44. I tend to stay away from K6 comments, but since you also have a 642 I'll add my experience on both. My EDC is a 642 Performance Center Model with a serious tune on it, VZ G10 grips and a Blackhawk holster. I carry it with Liberty 50grn +P ammo. So that tells you what I think of it.

I had a K6s … and early edition with the all black sights and blue rubber grips. I changed the grips to Altamont's. I took it to the range 6 or 7 times. I ran about 300 to 350 rounds through it. I shot several loads from my .38 range loads to factory .38 +Ps and .357s.

I didn't like the sights and would have to have changed them if I had kept it. I didn't care for the long heavy trigger pull. I had no function issues at all. But in the end I found it to be too heavy and bulky as a .38 carry gun and too short of a sight radius and wrong trigger for a .357 range gun. I traded at a local gun show for a Sig 1911 TACOPS and never looked back. Your mileage may vary.
2sharp2 and Cybercycle like this.
PaulWVa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 06:40 PM   #7

My K6S, acquired very slightly used last August, was one of the first 7,000 made. The fit and finish are fantastic. I've shot over 500 rounds with it and it's never had any issues.

I mostly shoot .38 reloads but do practice with my carry ammo, .38 +p Hornady Critical Defense. I shoot some mild .357 reloads from the gun, too. It handles all of the above great.

Your other pick, the 640 Pro, is a really nice gun. I don't want anything airweight, but that Smith is all steel and has the heft to shoot heavy loads to permit follow-up shots.

At the price of the 640 Pro, however, you could get a K6S and have six, not five, rounds on board. The 640 is cut for moon clips, if that is your thing.
Old School Wheelgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:14 PM   #8

I got a new revolver last year - a Ruger SP101 in 9mm. Pretty compact and nice. Ruger revolvers are pretty foolproof. Of course, so are Smiths. I've heard about too many issues with the Kimbers.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:05 AM   #9

You'll read all sorts of things from reviews by folk who shot 50 rounds. Look for those who have carried and shot a gun regularly. All new wheel guns from reputable makers have some duds--I read about Rugers going back on the Ruger Forum for issues with timing, and the same for S&Ws with canted barrels.

I could not be more pleased with the K6S. I pocket-carry it because I wanted a heavy gun and found that it conceals well. That said, if it does not fit your hand, move along.

The only problem I had, which may be from it being an early model, was the front ramp. It was too tall. It's also all black. I filed down the ramp perhaps 1/100" and now it shoots to POA consistently at what I consider SD range: 20 feet.
Old School Wheelgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:07 AM   #10

My Model 60 Pro is a keeper!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S&W Model 60 Pro.jpg (759.4 KB, 3 views)
PaulWVa and Bigdog like this.
Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote