Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Revolver Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dontcatchmany

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2019, 08:41 AM   #1

Anyone tried a Pachmayr Diamond Pro J Frame Grip

On your K6S?

I was reading a review of the K6S yesterday and the writer was very appreciative of the K6S except for the horrible recoil of 357 Magnum.

He mentioned that he used the Pachmayr Diamond Pro grip for a S&W J frame.....with some modifications. I wonder what modifications and if, indeed, it did help with the recoil of the revolver.

Currently my 2" K6S is relegated to being an expensive 38 Special.
dontcatchmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-20-2019, 10:05 AM   #2

It's a little bulky, but the Kimber 3 inch style grip works well.
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:21 AM   #3

Do you have a link to that review? I just bought a 3" DASA knowing there are not yet any aftermarket grips made for it. Looking for any information about grips that could be modified to work on the Kimber. Thanks.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2019, 01:31 PM   #4

To see what my solution was/is, see post #11 here...

https://www.kimbertalk.com/forums/ki...ture-k6-2.html

357 Mag is no longer a problem!
Ceapea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:22 PM   #5

I received a Pachmayr Diamond Pro round butt today.

Immediately put the J frame on my Kimber K6S. Dang it fit except the grip wobbles because I had not really tightened the screw,

Tightened it down and the grip still moved. Tried some Speer GD short barrel +p in 38 special. Shot it and for once I could shoot +P...yea, but still a tad bit of wobble.

Found some cushioning that I had used to lift up the ball of my foot when I had a metatarsal problem.

Cut the cushion to the width of the K6S back strap and slipped it into the grip and re tightened the screw really tight.

Went back out to my backyard range and fired 357 mag short barrel and low and behold the ammo did not kill my hand. Ran some 125 gr. 357 mag fmj and not a problem. No wobble.

I got some tweaking to do to purdy it up but I think that will work. Gonna run some more 357 mag through it tomorrow and test for accuracy.

At least I got a chance with 357 magnum and +P 38. After testing for accuracy I will try some hotter 357 mag ammo...once I get some ordered.

Other that the top of the grip not quite filling in the frame where the old Kimber rubber grip did and figuring how make the cushion look more natural and prove that Kimber really fixed the guns firing pin components permanently with 500-600 rounds of abuse, maybe I can trust the gun for a backup gun.

However that Colt King Cobra Carry 2 " barrel looks good for a heavy pocket carry....lol....anyway, I have not bought a new gun in a couple of months...lol.

Last edited by dontcatchmany; 07-05-2019 at 07:27 PM. Reason: add data
Old 07-10-2019, 03:46 PM   #6

Here is the no-brand grip that I was referring to above. I paid $7, about 6 years ago. Not perfect, but it is tight and it makes shooting 357's as comfortable as shooting 38's with the stock grip panels.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/j-rd-prem...9#.XSZJsOhKhEY
Ceapea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:43 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Ceapea View Post
Here is the no-brand grip that I was referring to above. I paid $7, about 6 years ago. Not perfect, but it is tight and it makes shooting 357's as comfortable as shooting 38's with the stock grip panels.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/j-rd-prem...9#.XSZJsOhKhEY
Ceapea,

That looks just like the Pachmayr Diamond Pro for a J frame except the little finger set back that is on the Diamond Pro. I paid something like 20 bucks on PayPal and got very fast delivery.

Shot approximately 150 rounds through the K6S today. The first 25 ish rounds were 38 Special +P (several manufacturers). The rest were 357 Magnum 125 grain Precision One (1425 fps) and Underwood 125 gr FMJ +P FMJ (1200 fps).

The 357 Magnum rounds were very much on POA. All rounds today were mostly middle of a 12x12 target at 8 yards. I was seated but no arm rest or gun rest. The heat here in Eastern N.C. caused my eyes to water up a lot and the POA was a tad fuzzy.

AND my hand felt none of the pain that was associated with the nekked (southern term...lol) Kimber backstrap.

The grip works for 357 magnum with an approx. 1/2 or3/4 inch cushioning stuffed in the top of the grip. Does not look great, but it has held up so far and seems to work very well.

Another 300-400 ish rounds varying weight 357 ammo will give me well above 500 rounds since Kimber fixed the striker assembly, to prove that the gun MAY not break another striker and 4 other parts that were replaced by Kimber.

I still do not know if I will ever feel comfortable depending on it to be a reliable bug but time will tell....maybe?

Another thing. I have been working on my hand strength (had radiation and chemo earlier this year and that zapped a lot of my strength and stamina, but I am slowly getting back to being a semi-normal 71 yo with eye sight to match). Hopefully some new glasses in a week or so will help some also.

Folks, trying the J frame grip or the one that Ceapea showed above may help your ability to truly have a comfortable 357 magnum snubbie.
Ceapea likes this.

Last edited by dontcatchmany; 07-12-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:48 PM   #8

Kimber is supposed to be releasing a new model called core or something that has a surround rubber grip on it.
RlittleTarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:00 AM   #9

Grip comfort

Originally Posted by dontcatchmany View Post
On your K6S?

I was reading a review of the K6S yesterday and the writer was very appreciative of the K6S except for the horrible recoil of 357 Magnum.

He mentioned that he used the Pachmayr Diamond Pro grip for a S&W J frame.....with some modifications. I wonder what modifications and if, indeed, it did help with the recoil of the revolver.

Currently my 2" K6S is relegated to being an expensive 38 Special.
My friend has a S&W Bodyguard .38 with Pachmayr, and she has no issues. I have used Hogue grips on my S&W 325PD N-frame 3" .45 ACP, S&W 625 N-frame 5" .45ACP, and Ruger Super Redhawk 8" .44 mag. The wooden grips hurt, but when I removed the wooden grips from the 325PD, and installed the Hogue grips, I had no issues. The Hogue grips on the Super Redhawk were much more comfortable than the factory grips.
motormac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:09 AM   #10

Grip comfort

Kimber K6s Bantam - Piranha - G10 GMascus BLACK-GREY
Sku: 41137
$69.95
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41137.jpg (87.3 KB, 4 views)
motormac is offline   Reply With Quote