Polished Stainless or Nickel Plated - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Revolver Forum

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2019, 02:29 PM   #1

Polished Stainless or Nickel Plated

ive been looking at buying a Kimber K6S first edition, but am a bit confused.

since the only ones i see are on gunbroker, its tough to tell whats real. Most of the ads say the first edition is nickel plated, but some say polished stainless. And the kimber press release said polished stainless.

I assume they only came one way, so which is it? if nickel im going to pass since ive had issues with that finish in the past, but if polished stainless, im going to order one!

thanks,

mark
markg is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-06-2019, 02:34 PM   #2

take a magnet with you...
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 03:14 PM   #3

I'd be very surprised if it was nickel plated....very surprised indeed. Figure it's stainless, but a call to Kimber CS will clear it up quickly.

I don't think even S&W, Ruger, or Colt offer nickel plated guns any more, unless special ordered. But virtually every maker offers handguns in stainless.

Is the K6 stainless? Most likely.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2019, 08:46 PM   #4

My K6S is stainless. A magnet won't help here. Knife and gun stainless is just as magnetic as carbon steel. I would expect that special editions would be stainless with a higher grade of polish. The base models come with a heavy brushed finish.

Best,
Rick
AlexTDiGiacomo likes this.
Mike Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:16 PM   #5

The only 1st Editions I've seen were asking high dollar. I am not sure if the price is worth it? I agree with Mike Whiskey all are stainless and most all are polished to a point. I also think I've seen different sights and grips on "1st editions" be very careful buying, they had different model numbers, find the model number of the one you want and search and buy only when the auction model number matches.
Are you looking to buy as an investment or just shoot it and cause you want one? If investment it may take decades before it's worth more than you paid, I don't see it becoming the next "Colt Python" anytime soon.

If you just want one buy a regular model you like and polish it yourself or farm that job out.

Oh and welcome to the site from Tennessee.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 06:26 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum markg, how about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:59 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Mike Whiskey View Post
My K6S is stainless. A magnet won't help here. Knife and gun stainless is just as magnetic as carbon steel. I would expect that special editions would be stainless with a higher grade of polish. The base models come with a heavy brushed finish.

Best,
Rick
Never knew that about the knife and gun stainless being just as magnetic as carbon steel. That is good to know. Thanks for that bit of information.

Last edited by AlexTDiGiacomo; 07-10-2019 at 05:02 PM.
AlexTDiGiacomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:41 PM   #8

Polished Stainless or Nickel Plated

Just an fyi. My late 70s Colt Govt 1911 was nickel. Very nice and sturdy finish. It was my carry for many years when on the job. So it sustained some scratches. Last year I sent it out to get refinished by an outside company. (Not Colt)... I asked them to re-nickel it and they recommended not because its expensive. They said the most common coating for that type of finish is hardened chrome. You’d never know the difference between the nickel or chrome. Came out great. Excuse the fingerprints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigdog likes this.

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:35 PM   #9

Originally Posted by markg View Post
ive been looking at buying a Kimber K6S first edition, but am a bit confused.

since the only ones i see are on gunbroker, its tough to tell whats real. Most of the ads say the first edition is nickel plated, but some say polished stainless. And the kimber press release said polished stainless.
I have a very early (first 7,000 made) K6S and it's stainless but not high polish.

What a sweet gun it has been, too. Carried it in my pocket for snake duty tonight, after one of our livestock dogs had a run-in with a Copperhead and is in recovery (I've shot two more in our garden or chicken run this summer, too. Bad year for venomous snakes here).

Since my K6S is just a tool for me, I appreciate that matte finish and the overall durability of the gun. I know that's not the same as that very pretty First Edition, but I am fairly sure that's just a high-polish stainless. The ads saying nickel are "confused"; that's my guess. The high-polish stainless really does look like nickel. Might have to get one of the 3" DA/SA guns if it can be had with that finish. Would be a good range gun.

Last edited by Old School Wheelgunner; 07-12-2019 at 07:40 PM.
Old School Wheelgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:26 AM   #10

Nickle can be a pain especially if it gets near ammonia based cleaning products. I wonder if anyone has polished one with Mother's mag polish.
Regardless, I use mine as a portable hole puncher and could care less as to the finish.
340pd is offline   Reply With Quote