Brought home my new 3 inch DASA last night - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Revolver Forum

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2019, 06:49 PM  

Thumbs up Brought home my new 3 inch DASA last night

Just shot a few rounds through it. 11 rounds of 150 gr RCBS cast SWC over 5 grains Unique in 38 Spl cases. Not bad recoil and hit steel targets 9 times. Then I loaded 6 rounds of 125 gr. JHPs over 14.5 grains of 2400 in 38 cases. This is probably a load out of the old Speer #8 loading manual and if you hand loaded back then you know how hot some of their loads were. I fired 1 round and holy jeepers creepers! Sounded and felt like a full power 357 magnum load. Unloaded the other 5 rounds from the cylinder and I wont be shooting any more of those until someone makes a good rubber grip that cushions the backstrap. A cylinder full of those would beat my hand to a pulp. In my younger days, back in the 1970s and 80s, I fired thousands of rounds of 357 and 44 magnum loads, but in much heavier handguns. I don't see how some of you guys can shoot hot loads in featherweight J frames or Ruger LCRs, unless they have cushioning rubber grips. The stock K6S grips are very pretty, but I do not like them. I hope Hogue makes their rubber finger groove grips like the ones they make for the Cold D frames, to fit the K6S DASA. Bought a Colt Magnum Carry 357 snub with those grips years ago and they were great. Sold the gun for other reasons, but the grips were perfect for my hand. Tomorrow I plan to find my pail of 38 wadcutter ammo and shoot it a bunch more.
My first impression of the K6S DASA is similar to several other owners. Very good fit and finish and dehorned very nicely. Colt should look at one and see how it's done. The D/A trigger is smooth, but far too heavy for my liking. A trigger job will be in the future. The S/A trigger has noticeable creep, not bad, but not nearly as crisp as a good S&W revolver. Feels more like a Ruger pull to me, although is has been many years since I have owned the SP101s. If I can get the trigger as good as the S&W Model 19 2.5" I carried for years as a young man, I will be happy. That gun was slick. Also, it was the only gun that I ever bought new and shot enough that I thought it was worn out. But that's another story.
Sights: This Kimber has real sights! I looked at a Colt King Cobra 357 3 inch. It was just a little bigger and heavier than the Kimber, but had no rear sight. Just a groove cut in the frame. This is my first 3 inch revolver and my first compact gun with real replaceable fixed sights. This is one of the main reasons I chose the Kimber over the Colt. It was a tough decision because the Colt has those excellent Hogue grips.
For the K6S I bought set of snap caps, a couple HKS Colt D frame speed loaders and they seem to work fine with 38 special rounds. Also picked up a DeSantis OWB belt holster for for around $27.00, IIRC. Midway had them on sale. Mowed the yard carrying the gun today and this holster seems to carry well. I did not even notice the gun on my belt. Of course I was riding, not walking.
The only other thing to add at this early stage of ownership is the weight. I weighed the gun at 25.96 ounces, which is nearly a full ounce heavier than the advertised weight of 25 ounces. No matter- it needs weight to absorb recoil. I have read suggestions for Kimber to bring out lightweight alloy frame versions of the K6S. For me, NO WAY. I owned an S&W model 637 (11 or 12 ounce gun)for a very short time. Great for carrying in a vest pocket, but hell to shoot. It's funny, I sold it on consignment in a gun shop. The shop owner sold it to a woman. Maybe she was more manly than me. (or maybe she bought it not understanding the physics of felt recoil)
I bought this K6S DASA for a belt gun to carry while mowing or hunting mushrooms down in the woods. I'm sure I'll find a good handload that will handle any man-eating ground hogs, coyotes, or whatever else might attack an old man. I believe unless I run into a problem, it will fill the role just fine. If you have read this far, you can see that I can be a windbag, especially when I am still feeling the excitement of a new gun.
2sharp2, Cucamonga kid and Bigdog like this.

Last edited by Neal; 07-07-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:30 PM  

Neil my friend I don't want to come off as the "know-it-all" but let me tell you I've been loading .38 and .357 for many years. And that is a really HEAVY load of 2400 in a .38 case. After checking a couple of my books both old and new that's a pretty stout load in a .357 magnum case. I was unable to find anything close to that in a .38 case.

I only use 2400 for .357 and .44 mag loads. Let me suggest you try some Win 231 or Unique for .38s. I'm sure others here will have some ideas as to powders too. There are a few new ones out there that I haven't tried. I tend to use Win 296 for magnums and Win 231 for all none magnums in pistol cases. But I have used many a pound of 2400 over the years.

Be careful and be safe. (Oh and in less you have a heavy frame .357, L or N frame, I wouldn't shoot those other 5 if it was me....just sayin')
340pd likes this.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:52 PM  

Nothing like a new gun!

Old 07-07-2019, 08:17 PM  

Originally Posted by PaulWVa View Post
Neil … my friend … I don't want to come off as the "know-it-all" but let me tell you I've been loading .38 and .357 for many years. And that is a really HEAVY load of 2400 in a .38 case. After checking a couple of my books … both old and new … that's a pretty stout load in a .357 magnum case. I was unable to find anything close to that in a .38 case.

I only use 2400 for .357 and .44 mag loads. Let me suggest you try some Win 231 or Unique for .38s. I'm sure others here will have some ideas as to powders too. There are a few new ones out there that I haven't tried. I tend to use Win 296 for magnums and Win 231 for all none magnums in pistol cases. But I have used many a pound of 2400 over the years.

Be careful and be safe. (Oh and in less you have a heavy frame .357, L or N frame, I wouldn't shoot those other 5 if it was me....just sayin')
Paul, just checked my load data sheet in the ammo box. I loaded that ammo in 1989, and I just dug out my Speer #8 manual. On page 364, it shows max load of 14.5 grains of 2400 with the Speer 125 gr soft point in 38 Spl cases. Test gun was a K-38. On page 371, they show a max load of 19.5 grains of 2400 with the same bullet in 357 Mag brass. Test gun was a model 27. Like I said in my original post, those old Speer manual max loads were VERY hot. They have all been toned down since then. But I think maybe I'll shoot those remaining loads in my S&W model 28. It's been a long time since I've done much revolver shooting. I used to carry 125 gr JHP loaded with around 19 grains of H110 in my 2.5 inch model 19. They made a huge fireball and muzzle blast. I am older now and no longer have a desire to shoot those kinds of loads. I'm more of a heavy cast bullet at more modest velocity kind guy these days.

Also, I forgot to add, the old 2400 was apparently slower burning than new 2400. Meaning the old load data should be reduced for the newer powder. That along with those old loads were brutal and should be reduced anyway.
PaulWVa likes this.

Last edited by Neal; 07-07-2019 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:01 PM  

OK...it sounds like you're on the right track. I checked the data in two Hornady books ... One from the late '80s and a 2018 edition. Neither book listed any loads for 2400 in .38 ... only .357. I do have an old Speer book I'll have to find.
I agree too, I tend to think of 2400 as a "long barrel" powder. ( slow) I've loaded it mainly for my 8" 586, .357 and a 8" 629 .44mag.

Just wanted to make sure you didn't blow up your new K6 ... that would be bad ...lol.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:08 PM  

Originally Posted by Neal View Post
Like I said in my original post, those old Speer manual max loads were VERY hot.
I haven't reloaded in 20 years. But back when I was really into it, I had a hard time finding recipes that would even match factory loads. It seems that the manuals would "dumb it down." It was a challenge to get "good" data. Nowadays, even the factory loads are dumbed down, and you have to search out "premium ammo" if you want the amount of "bang" that your gun was designed for.

Join the NRA
Old 07-08-2019, 10:08 PM  

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
I haven't reloaded in 20 years. But back when I was really into it, I had a hard time finding recipes that would even match factory loads. It seems that the manuals would "dumb it down." It was a challenge to get "good" data. Nowadays, even the factory loads are dumbed down, and you have to search out "premium ammo" if you want the amount of "bang" that your gun was designed for.

For full power factory loads, I use only one company, and that is Underwood. Buffalo Bore has some stout loads listed also, but I have not tried them. As far as loading manuals, the Speer number 8 was my first. That was in the early 70s. Some of their loads were so hot I had to stop working up before I reached the max book loads because of excessive pressure signs. I believe some of the loads in that manual were found to be way over SAMMI pressure to the point of being dangerous. I believe that newer manuals dumb them down, as you say, just to be on the safe side.
RustyIron and KCJeep like this.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:04 AM  

I am a huge fan of Underwood as well. High quality, reasonably priced for defensive ammo and they actually get all there is to get out of a cartridge. And while their loads are very stout, I have never seen any signs of excess pressure on the spent brass. Just goes to show you how loaded down most factory loads are in our lawsuit happy society.

Independent tests of Underwood almost always show it to match or exceed it's advertised velocity. Buffalo Bore and Double Tap seem to be more hit or miss lot by lot.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
Old 07-13-2019, 11:32 AM  

Glad you guys are figuring it out. When I read the first post I almost choked quickly reading down to make sure the result was not a disaster. I would never see the need to push 38sp. cases when the .357 gives one so much more opportunity. As for lead, I stopped handloading lead ten years ago and went to plated which completely eliminated the lead removing chore. My Lewis Lead Remover has not been out of the box since.
PaulWVa and Nipperdog like this.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:19 PM  

Groo here
The Speer No#8 is known as the Witch's hand book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have one and shot some of the loads ,,, Wah Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope to have a K6s hammer soon but will need a grip change..
[even though I am the one guy that shoots an SP101 with Rem 357mag
125 gr "Flame Throwers"]