K6s SA/DA shoots very low - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Revolver Forum

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2019, 01:54 PM   #1

K6s SA/DA shoots very low

Don't if I'm the only one having this issue but with standard or +P ammo the gun shoots about 6" low at 13 yards using my range bag as a rest. Any suggestions as to what might be wrong. Need some advice. Thanks
bimmerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-16-2019, 02:07 PM   #2

You might want to contact Kimber and see if they have a Shorter front sight. The sight is pinned in and should be easy to change.
motormac likes this.
Nipperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:01 PM   #3

Have someone else shoot to see what happens. Maybe a form thing. might be worth a try.
motormac likes this.

Old 07-17-2019, 05:09 AM   #4

How about trying a boresighter ?
427malibu and motormac like this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:45 PM   #5

I'm having a similar issue. Got mine with 3 dot sights and everything was fine. Then I got the kimber fiber optic sight and I'm shooting about 2 inches low at 7 yard. I tried man different kinds of ammo. All shoot low. I had other people shoot it, one guy from a rest. All shot low. I sent the gun to kimber who sent it back with a poorly shot group from their "expert" tester. Kimber says the sights are within spec and they can do nothing for me.
Long story short. I measure both pair of sights and found a difference of almost .5 degrees between front and rear sight, translating to a 1.86 inch difference at 7 yards. Kimber still maintains that it is the shooters problem...all 8 of us flinch exactly the same way and consistently with every shot...
Thanks for nothing kimber.
Maineiac64 and motormac like this.
Lousywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:16 AM   #6

Heavier ammo should raise the point of impact.
Some have said Magnum ammo shoots higher. I don't know, I only use 38 SPL.

Best,
MW
Mike Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:58 AM   #7

I was shooting low with my early-production K6S, 2" barrel. .38, +p, .357: all very low even at very short ranges. Barrel was straight.

I doubt it's flinching, though I do test for my own flinch by filling half the cylinders with empties, spinning the cylinder, closing, and shooting. When I get a bit tired, a flinch shows right up when triggering an empty round. I also am training myself for center and not six-o-clock hold. The groups center better and I'm now practicing with plain white paper plates, on the theory that a bull actually hurts accuracy. In SD shooting, no burglar or thug wears a bull at center of mass, anyhow.

OP might try other ammo in the caliber to be used regularly, then go the Elmer Keith route and grab a file. Filing down my gun's overly tall front ramp did the trick. I took off a bit of metal, shot, repeated, shot again. Now it consistently shoots to POA at the ranges for which I train with this pocket gun.

FWIW, every other revolver I own shoots to POA: Ruger, Smith, even Taurus 85 tackle-box gun. Grant Cunningham did great work with the K6S, but he must have left the building when they designed the sights.
motormac likes this.

Last edited by Old School Wheelgunner; 07-23-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Old School Wheelgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:34 PM   #8

Groo here
If you shoot from a bench, DO NOT allow the butt of the gun hit the bench!!!!!!!!
This will cause all types of troubles........
Shoot free hand and see if the shots hit differently.
motormac likes this.
Groo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 03:38 PM   #9

Its sighted for 158gr. .357 mag at 15 yrds. According to kimber. The fiber-optic variant has a lower rear sight and has much more lower impact. Its not just you, if you want to shoot 38s out of a 357 your gonna have to make some changes. Just as those that shoot .22 short from a rifle that says .22lr on the barrel. Or kinda like shooting .223 different impact than 5.56 nato round.
motormac likes this.
RlittleTarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:10 PM   #10

Not that I like changing my sight picture, but I have found an acceptable alternative for shooting my K6S. I align the sights so that the front dot is at the top of the rear notch. Looks like a pyramid. So far, so good, at most common distances...10yd to 30yd. POI=POA.
motormac likes this.
Ceapea is offline   Reply With Quote