Hard to extract rounds - Page 2 - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Revolver Forum

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2019, 10:33 PM   #11

Originally Posted by Mr.Lee View Post
Thanks. I'm sure they will. It's just annoying how often I have been sending things back for warranty lately. Idk how companies get away with it. Letting their customers be there quality control. I paid extra money to purchase from a premium brand and the quality of the revolver is poor. It's unusable. This is supposed to be my ccw. Can I ever trust it with my life at this point?
I was carrying a S&W 325PD for ccw, when one of the guys at the range mentioned that it would be great to get the two 325PDs present to do rapid fire with one in each hand. I tried it, and the left hand revolver cylinder dropped out of the frame after the second or third round. Matt, then, tried the two gun rapid fire, and the left hand revolver cylinder dropped out of the frame, also. I have since changed my ccw to a pistol, as I do not know when I must shoot left handed to defend my life. Test yours to confirm that it works both hands reliably.
motormac is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-21-2019, 08:40 AM   #12

Got her back from warranty yesterday. Will try to test her out today.
Mr.Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 01:30 PM   #13

Test fired it this morning and the same thing happens. Slightly improved, but still hard to extract. Looks like it's going back to warranty for the second time.

When I press the extractor rod it goes in a few mm then stops. If I slam it hard, there is lots of resistance but the extract rod will fully depress. However, the shells are still in the cylinder. With a little force I can pull out each shell with my fingers.
motormac likes this.

Old 09-22-2019, 08:25 AM   #14

This is bizarre. Is it the same with different ammo. What ammo were you shooting when you got it back.
340pd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:39 PM   #15

Originally Posted by 340pd View Post
This is bizarre. Is it the same with different ammo. What ammo were you shooting when you got it back.
I was shooting the same ammo. Aguila 158 grain 357.

I purchased a few boxes of Federal 158 grain 357 this afternoon. Gave her a cleaning and will try the different ammo when I get the chance.

I doubt it's the ammo because the 38 special rounds were sticky to get out too.
motormac likes this.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:42 PM   #16

For everyone else who owns a K6S, do your shells just fall out like any other revolver when you press the extractor rod?
motormac likes this.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:42 PM   #17

Are you saying that when you press the extractor pushrod it will move without the fired cases moving? That is a much different problem from just a polishing job on the cylinder chambers. That sounds like either a mis-cut extractor, or the hole through the cylinder is not exactly perpendicular to the rear of the cylinder, etc. No way that extractor should be able to slide over a rimmed case like a .38/.357. Unfired shells ought to fall out period if there is not excessive oil or gunk in the cylinder bores. Normal fired rounds might need a little pressure, but no hammering. .357 rounds in a lightweight cylinder can be a bit problematic with sticking. IE one of the j-frame .357's...

I would examine it carefully. Try each cylinder bore separately. Are all the same (ie unfired round comes out easily? Sounds much like something wrong with the extractor side of things the way you describe it. Just can't see any way for a rimmed case to slip over the extractor and remain in the cylinder with the extractor now behind them.
BobHyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:32 PM   #18

Originally Posted by BobHyatt View Post
Are you saying that when you press the extractor pushrod it will move without the fired cases moving? That is a much different problem from just a polishing job on the cylinder chambers. That sounds like either a mis-cut extractor, or the hole through the cylinder is not exactly perpendicular to the rear of the cylinder, etc. No way that extractor should be able to slide over a rimmed case like a .38/.357. Unfired shells ought to fall out period if there is not excessive oil or gunk in the cylinder bores. Normal fired rounds might need a little pressure, but no hammering. .357 rounds in a lightweight cylinder can be a bit problematic with sticking. IE one of the j-frame .357's...

I would examine it carefully. Try each cylinder bore separately. Are all the same (ie unfired round comes out easily? Sounds much like something wrong with the extractor side of things the way you describe it. Just can't see any way for a rimmed case to slip over the extractor and remain in the cylinder with the extractor now behind them.
Sorry if I explained it poorly. If you push hard enough on the extractor rod, the stuck fired rounds will slide out. But the length of the push rod is not long enough to clear the cylinder. So all the shells are still hanging.

Everything works fine with unfired rounds.
motormac likes this.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:26 PM   #19

With the Federal 357, the shells still get stuck, but it was a big improvement.
motormac likes this.