Hard to extract rounds - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Revolver Forum

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2019, 08:14 PM   #1

Hard to extract rounds

Anyone else having trouble extracting rounds after being fired?

38s will not fall out of the cylinder when the extractor rod is held down. I have to manually one by one pluck them out. It takes a little bit of force to pull them out. Pressing the extractor rod more aggressively does nothing.

357s are stuck. Every round is a pain in the butt to remove. I have to slam my hand on the extractor hard enough it hurts my hand. Then I have to pull, wiggle, pinch with my fingers as hard as I can for about 30 seconds before one round comes out. Repeat 4 more times.
Mr.Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-07-2019, 08:17 PM   #2

I was shooting Aguila 158 grain 357 and Magtech 158 grain 38 spl.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:18 PM   #3

Are you hand-loading? that is one (of many) symptoms of a load that is a bit too hot. How do the primers look? Still round with a dimple from the firing pin? Flattened on the rear? Even "cratered" where the primer flows into the firing pin hole which can cause a revolver to hang with the cylinder unable to move. Any of those suggests a hot load. Otherwise, perhaps a good polishing job on the cylinder bores as if they are rough they can "grab" the brass. A dremel with the bullet-looking polishing tool will do the trick.
BobHyatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2019, 09:37 PM   #4

Originally Posted by Mr.Lee View Post

38s will not fall out of the cylinder when the extractor rod is held down. I have to manually one by one pluck them out. It takes a little bit of force to pull them out. Pressing the extractor rod more aggressively does nothing.

357s are stuck. Every round is a pain in the butt to remove. I have to slam my hand on the extractor hard enough it hurts my hand. Then I have to pull, wiggle, pinch with my fingers as hard as I can for about 30 seconds before one round comes out. Repeat 4 more times.

If the above issues are from using brand new factory ammo? I would call Kimber customer service and get a repair order number and send it back. I do NOT recommend "Bubbasmithin'" as has been suggested. Let Kimber make it right.
Chuck43, 340pd, DaveinNC and 2 others like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:46 PM   #5

Originally Posted by BobHyatt View Post
Are you hand-loading? that is one (of many) symptoms of a load that is a bit too hot. How do the primers look? Still round with a dimple from the firing pin? Flattened on the rear? Even "cratered" where the primer flows into the firing pin hole which can cause a revolver to hang with the cylinder unable to move. Any of those suggests a hot load. Otherwise, perhaps a good polishing job on the cylinder bores as if they are rough they can "grab" the brass. A dremel with the bullet-looking polishing tool will do the trick.
Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post

If the above issues are from using brand new factory ammo? I would call Kimber customer service and get a repair order number and send it back. I do NOT recommend "Bubbasmithin'" as has been suggested. Let Kimber make it right.
No reloading. I purchased the ammo at sportsman's Warehouse. This was my first time firing the gun today.

I'll call Kimber on Monday. Sucks. Regretting not buying that j-frame now. Hehe.
DaveinNC likes this.

Last edited by Mr.Lee; 09-07-2019 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:22 AM   #6

After reading your first sentence, I thought it might be steel or aluminium cased ammo. I realise that is not the issue.
Call Kimber and they will make it right. I suspect it just requires a bit of polishing of the chambers.
As for S&W being a better gun, I just sold a 340 Pro that had to go back for polishing issues so the brand name means little or nothing.
That said, I am not a collector but just a shooter of what I own, I bought a K6s soon after it came out and since have sold three S&W's and one Ruger in favor of the Kimber. My only other snubbie is a 340PD which, in my opinion, may be the best pocketable snubbie ever made.
340pd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:08 PM   #7

Got off the phone with Kimber. They asked me to send it back to them.
2sharp2, DaveinNC and motormac like this.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:49 PM   #8

Kimber will make it Right
Nipperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:28 PM   #9

Thanks. I'm sure they will. It's just annoying how often I have been sending things back for warranty lately. Idk how companies get away with it. Letting their customers be there quality control. I paid extra money to purchase from a premium brand and the quality of the revolver is poor. It's unusable. This is supposed to be my ccw. Can I ever trust it with my life at this point?
motormac likes this.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:28 PM   #10

Got off the phone with Kimber. They asked me to send it back to them.
I think that was your best course of action. It could have some other issues that would not show up from you simply honing the cylinder bores.
DaveinNC and motormac like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)