Good by good friend. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Revolver Forum

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2019, 10:35 PM   #1

Good by good friend.

Bought my first k6s sa/da. Beautiful gun but could never get decent groups at a mere 13 yards. No matter how much I tried my shots were inches low and could get decent groups. Tried +P and regular 38 special but same results. Sent it back to kimber. They changed the barrel and installed new sights. Same issue. I had my mentor try to shoot from a Caldwell mount and then from his range bag. This man shoots 45 long colt and hot 44 magnums and always has tight groups. His attempt at shooting the kimber resulted in the same issues I had. Fortunately a gentleman came along and buy my beauty. I hope he has better luck than me. I really hated to see such a fine piece of workmanship depart. I hope one day I'll find a kimber that will fit my needs.
bigdog10 and motormac like this.
bimmerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-18-2019, 03:48 AM   #2

Wow sad to hear hopefully you didn't loose any money. good luck on the hunt for the replacement..
motormac likes this.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:31 AM   #3

Change your sight picture or shave down the front sight to correct shooting low.

K6s is a self defense gun, not precision shooter. If you purchased the gun with the intention of precision punching paper then you made the right decision to sell it.

I think a lot of gun owners get hung-up on shooting their carry gun like it's a Bullseye completion gun.
Chuck43, 2sharp2, Holster and 10 others like this.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2019, 08:08 AM   #4

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I only took mine out once, but I had trouble hitting an 8" plate at 7 yards and farther. I assumed it was a new gun I needed to get used too. This is my first snub nose and I didn't know if that was normal. But it sounds like it should be shooting more accurately.
motormac likes this.
Mr.Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 10:43 AM   #5

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
Change your sight picture or shave down the front sight to correct shooting low.

K6s is a self defense gun, not precision shooter. If you purchased the gun with the intention of precision punching paper then you made the right decision to sell it.

I think a lot of gun owners get hung-up on shooting their carry gun like it's a Bullseye completion gun.

I think a lot of gun owners get hung-up on shooting their carry gun like it's a Bullseye completion gun.[/QUOTE]

You hit the nail on the head Phil. The K6S is not a Target gun, nor was it designed to be. Reasonable accuracy should be expected, but not precision accuracy. I shoot mine primarily at 7yds, and get 3" groups around POI offhand with 158g LSWC Bullets in 38spl cases and Titegroup Powder. I hope that eventually Kimber does make a Target Worthy Revolver in the near future.
ChattanoogaPhil and motormac like this.
Nipperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:27 AM   #6

I find it pretty easy to get two inch groups at 15 yards. That's precision enough for me.
Jimmo likes this.
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:34 PM   #7

Initially my 2" K6S was impossible to shoot with any accuracy close to being on paper at 10 yds.

After having Kimber to fix the broken firing pin after approximately 350 rounds I got a Pachmayr Diamond Pro (I think that is what it is...lol) and jury rigged it to fit. It was a tad bigger than the original grip and I started shooting lights out at 10 yds and could also shoot full load 357 Magnums.

After an additional approximately 1500 rounds the gun has been flawless and I have carried a couple of times. Never thought I would trust the gun, but I will carry it as a backup gun now.
dontcatchmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:59 AM   #8

I have owned a K6s/laser since they were introduced. Laser on, the gun will shoot exactly where the laser is pointed. Laser off and I have to raise the front sight a bit at 30' to achieve the results I want.
Most of my shooting as done at 30'.
Overall, it is a good solid carry revolver with an extra shot over my now sold S&W's
dave19113 likes this.
340pd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:48 AM   #9

Originally Posted by Nipperdog View Post

You hit the nail on the head Phil. The K6S is not a Target gun, nor was it designed to be. Reasonable accuracy should be expected, but not precision accuracy. I shoot mine primarily at 7yds, and get 3" groups around POI offhand with 158g LSWC Bullets in 38spl cases and Titegroup Powder. I hope that eventually Kimber does make a Target Worthy Revolver in the near future.[/QUOTE]

I have no doubt the K6s is intrinsically accurate. As to if the grips, sights and DA trigger pull work for you, that's a whole other question.

It's possible the OP got a lemon but more likely something about the sights, grip or DA trigger is not agreeing with him.

I do not know if Kimber has different height sights available for the K6s. It would be nice if they did so the gun could be roughly zeroed for a given load and distance.

I agree with those though who say to treat the gun as a defensive revolver. It should be very doable to keep your shots into a fist or desert plate sized group at reasonable distances. Once you can do that.. work on speed...and reloading. Work in some one handed and weak handed DA work. You never know exactlly the scenario you could be confronted with so prepare for less than ideal conditions as well as ideal.

There are plenty of challenges to being good with a short barrelled DA revolver and my humble opinion would be to work at getting better at that type of shooting. The K6s is very well designed for in-close defensive shooting.

Or...buy a different gun more suited to the type of shooting the OP wants to partake in.
Cucamonga kid likes this.
Jimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:18 AM   #10

Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
I find it pretty easy to get two inch groups at 15 yards. That's precision enough for me.
Me too!
I think it is the best of the more than 25 revolvers that I have. And some of them are 50 yr old + Smiths!
I do have to adjust my sight pic just a bit. I split the front dot between the top of the rear sight corners. Sorta like a mini pyramid.
Ceapea is offline   Reply With Quote