• 1 Post By Jkopp
  • 1 Post By 340pd
  • 1 Post By Nipperdog
  • 1 Post By ButterSmooth
  • 3 Post By RustyIron

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2019, 01:10 PM   #1

Firing pin failures-still an issue?

I know that broken firing pins were an issue for a while-especially on guns that had been dry fired much. I had also read that the pins had been switched from Titanium to Stainless on the new DASA's. Is this still an issue with these guns? Many thanks.
mistapproach is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-30-2019, 02:13 PM   #2

I have had my k6s 3in dasa since it first released in beginning of 2019.It has been fired and dry fired thousands of times and no issues
dave19113 likes this.
Jkopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 06:38 AM   #3

The internet can be a horrible place. Don't worry about your firing pin. Buy one, dry fire the heck out of it, and shoot it even more. Just like I have.
Holster likes this.
340pd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2020, 11:44 AM   #4

I load mine with Snap Caps and don't worry about a broken FP.
Bowzette likes this.
Nipperdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:26 AM   #5

I have a K6S that I purchased in December of 2018.

After approximately 350 rounds I had to send the gun back to Kimber because the firing pin had broken.

Kimber quickly replaced the firing pin assembly and I have now fired a total of approximately 1600 rounds through the gun. No failures since the fix.

The only time I ever dry fired the gun was at the gun shop prior to buying it. Only three or four trigger pulls to feel how the trigger was.

As much as I wanted to throw the gun in the trash I stuck with it and I now trust it. I also put a Pachmayr J Frame grip on it to help me grasp it better thus causing better accuracy.

For the price of the gun the firing pin should never have been produced with sub par parts.
dontcatchmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:03 AM   #6

reply to dontcatchmany

thanks for your input. Although my admittedly anecdotal based research indicates the firing pin failures were quite limited,it is nonetheless disconcerting in a gun that is priced for perfection. Which Pachmayer grip did you use (i.e. is there more than one for the "J" frames?). Did you have to modify it at all to fit the K6S and which model K6S do you have? Thanks again.
mistapproach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:41 AM   #7

Alternate Source

I use a K6S For EDC. It is a 2017 vintage model in the 15K serial Range.
Since I obtained the Gun Used, I don't Know if the Firing Pin is of the brittle ones that caused problems. As a Preventive measure, I contacted Kimber to obtain a new FP. I was sternly informed that the K6 must be returned for a FP replacement, which frankly would be expensive for the 2 way shipping let alone the part and labor. I just found out that KT Custom is making a Replacement FP for anout $20. I just ordered one. If you can work on a S&W Lockwork you can do a Kimber. The FP is the same type. Over and Out.
https://tkcustom.com/products/s-w-co...d-firing-pin-2
Nipperdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:21 AM   #8

My K6 was produced in October of 2019 and is back at Kimber now for correction of a firing pin issue. The pin protrudes after a shot and locks the cylinder in place. I should find out soon if the pin is bent, broken or whatever.

I thought all of the 'cylinder locking', 'firing pin breaking' issues were behind Kimber. But like all guns, these are made by humans and any single gun can have a problem. Kimber has undoubtebly made the necessary engineering changes to resolve the 'class' of problems, but in any tight tolerance group of parts, there will be individual units with issues.

I'm not upset with Kimber for the problem. I don't like them leaving the testing to the purchaser, however.
motormac likes this.
ButterSmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:13 AM   #9

Originally Posted by mistapproach View Post
I know that broken firing pins were an issue for a while-especially on guns that had been dry fired much.
That's more of an old wive's tale than anything else.
340pd, Wingnut and ButterSmooth like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

kimber k6 issues

Click on a term to search for related topics.