Your K6S Wishlist - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Revolver Forum

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2020, 04:43 PM   #1

Your K6S Wishlist

Hey everyone!
With Kimber launching the 4” DASA this year and target sights it got me thinking about what Kimber might be open to doing next with the K6S.

What would be your suggestions on upgrades or what they should do next? Larger frame? New calibers? Grips? Sights? New finishes? Aluminum frame? Railed? Competition model? Ported Barrel?
Throw out your suggestions, maybe someone is paying attention.

I think better grips and new calibers would be amazing. And a railed 4”.

Thanks
Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
340pd likes this.
tbRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-25-2020, 05:22 PM   #2

Stainless frame, 3" full lug barrel, 5-shot .44 Spl., round butt.
tbRich likes this.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:43 PM   #3

I’d like to see a lightweight variation, a 9mm, and a larger-framed series.

1) Lightweight
An alloy-framed lightweight (K6lw) even if it had to be .38 Spl and not .357 would be welcome. The main reason I’d like one would be for ankle carry. There is a practical weight limit there before it gets too clumsy.

2) 9mm
It wouldn’t be high on my list, but I sure wouldn’t hate a K6 in 9mm. I shoot enough 38 and 357, but I’d bet an awful lot of people could keep one less caliber cartridge on hand by using a 9mm revolver. There are probably a lot who never would buy a box of 38/357 if not for the snubby they keep around. Departments might look at it the same way but on a much larger scale.

Moon clips would be OK, but some variation of the “fingers” S&W used in the 547 might be better.

3) Larger
And I’d like to see a bigger gun. Same design and details, but in about an L frame size. Maybe a little smaller. That’s as big as I like to carry, so I would like to see such a thing with a 3” or 4” barrel.

Caliber? A 6- or 7-round .357 is the natural first thought, and hard to go wrong with.
The 10mm might be about as big as they could go in that size cylinder, at least in a six-round, and I’d like that.
A five-round .41 Mag, .44 Spl or Mag, .45 ACP, or .45 Colt should be possible also. Anything an L-Frame/GP-100 cylinder can take.

I’d be very surprised if Kimber was not looking at making a larger framed revolver.
tbRich and Jimmo like this.
Barry in IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2020, 08:47 PM   #4

I forgot the obvious. I think a .22 version of current models would sell well. In addition to being a nice “understudy”, I think it would be a great size and very useful in a 4” DA/SA. Not too big to be unhandy and not too small to shoot well.

Before anyone says it would be an expensive .22 revolver, check Gunbroker selling prices on S&Ws in .22. I look often, and am still surprised at times.
tbRich likes this.
Barry in IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:13 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Barry in IN View Post
I forgot the obvious. I think a .22 version of current models would sell well. In addition to being a nice “understudy”, I think it would be a great size and very useful in a 4” DA/SA. Not too big to be unhandy and not too small to shoot well.

Before anyone says it would be an expensive .22 revolver, check Gunbroker selling prices on S&Ws in .22. I look often, and am still surprised at times.
.22lr, and .22 wmr
tbRich likes this.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:36 AM   #6

1) Lightweight
An alloy-framed lightweight (K6lw) even if it had to be .38 Spl and not .357 would be welcome. The main reason I’d like one would be for ankle carry. There is a practical weight limit there before it gets too clumsy.

2) 9mm
It wouldn’t be high on my list, but I sure wouldn’t hate a K6 in 9mm. I shoot enough 38 and 357, but I’d bet an awful lot of people could keep one less caliber cartridge on hand by using a 9mm revolver. There are probably a lot who never would buy a box of 38/357 if not for the snubby they keep around. Departments might look at it the same way but on a much larger scale.

Moon clips would be OK, but some variation of the “fingers” S&W used in the 547 might be better.

3) Larger
And I’d like to see a bigger gun. Same design and details, but in about an L frame size. Maybe a little smaller. That’s as big as I like to carry, so I would like to see such a thing with a 3” or 4” barrel.

Caliber? A 6- or 7-round .357 is the natural first thought, and hard to go wrong with.
The 10mm might be about as big as they could go in that size cylinder, at least in a six-round, and I’d like that.
A five-round .41 Mag, .44 Spl or Mag, .45 ACP, or .45 Colt should be possible also. Anything an L-Frame/GP-100 cylinder can take.

I’d be very surprised if Kimber was not looking at making a larger framed revolver.

Nice list!
I agree that kimber has to be looking into a larger frame and also an aluminum frame .38 special.
9mm would be nice also. Something innovative that didn’t need moon clips and was reliable would be awesome. An interchangeable cylinder would be awesome also.

I also wouldn’t mind seeing a railed version for a light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tbRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:47 AM   #7

Kimber has a good thing going. It is a bit Rugerish in size so making it in an alloy version would not make it any more pocketable.

I think the biggest drawback is the lack of grip selection. I have found Hogue g10's to be the best for me but other shapes would be helpful.

I found making a sight adjustment can involve a 22 oz hammer and a steel punch. Loosening the set screw did nothing to make that task easier.

Other calibers would be a hoot.
tbRich likes this.
340pd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:54 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
Stainless frame, 3" full lug barrel, 5-shot .44 Spl., round butt.
Rick in Oregon, make it a 44 mag and we can shoot both! I agee: 5 shot & 3". You apparently have a S&W M69, or at a minimum were looking at them longingly.
tbRich likes this.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:58 PM   #9

1) Lightweight

2) 9mm

3) Larger

These are all good ideas. The alloy frame variant seems a no-brainer for what is primarily a concealed carry gun.

A larger frame size so as to accommodate other cartridges would be awesome but strikes me as a bigger endeavor by Kimber.

Still, I can see where that larger frame size would allow Kimber to compete for a bigger share of the revolver market.
tbRich likes this.
Jimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:18 PM   #10

A second one for my other hand...preferably 9mm...
tbRich likes this.
Warehouse 13 is offline   Reply With Quote