Kimber Combat/Target 4” - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Revolver Forum

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2020, 03:19 PM   #1

Kimber Combat/Target 4”

I’ve been considering getting a 4” Combat, or Target, Or a Colt Python 2.0 4.25”. Aside from the current Colt issues that are going to be ironed out, I’m thinking about the actual weight of the Colt maybe better suited to shooting 357 regularly. At about 25oz the Kimber may be a bit light. So, I’d appreciate your thoughts, especially from those of you who already have or shot both of these particular models. I basically just want one in this barrel length ... no particular use in mind. Buying both isn’t something I’m considering. Thanks
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-20-2020, 03:28 PM   #2

Never shot a Python (But I have fired a Trooper III). I have a 3" DAO K6S and love it!I ordered a 4" Target model two days ago from Bud's. I paid $825. Bud's now has it for $780!! When you buy from Bud's, you get a 30 day price guaranty. I just filed my "claim" and will receive $45 back...gotta love that!
Ceapea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 03:33 PM   #3

Originally Posted by Ceapea View Post
Never shot a Python (But I have fired a Trooper III). I have a 3" DAO K6S and love it!I ordered a 4" Target model two days ago from Bud's. I paid $825. Bud's now has it for $780!! When you buy from Bud's, you get a 30 day price guaranty. I just filed my "claim" and will receive $45 back...gotta love that!
Bud’s has always been pretty solid that way. Please, give us a range report when it comes in. I’m in no particular hurry just planning ahead for the summer.

Old 03-21-2020, 09:12 AM   #4

Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
Ive been considering getting a 4 Combat, or Target, Or a Colt Python 2.0 4.25. Aside from the current Colt issues that are going to be ironed out, Im thinking about the actual weight of the Colt maybe better suited to shooting 357 regularly. At about 25oz the Kimber may be a bit light. So, Id appreciate your thoughts, especially from those of you who already have or shot both of these particular models. I basically just want one in this barrel length ... no particular use in mind. Buying both isnt something Im considering. Thanks
"Back in the day" my handgun selections were based on versitility and cost/value. Eg: if I wanted to get into handgun hunting, could I find a big bore that will drop a deer, that I could CC and also compete with? You could, but it wont do all 3 well, it will be a compromise. Now i have a little more (just a little) disposable income and all my selections are purpose built. My EDC is a hammerless S&W 340 .357, super light weight scandium frame, night sights and is surprisingly accurate considering the barrel length. Ya, the .357 feels like a handgrenade going off, but this is my favorite CC I've ever owned (my Kahr PM9 came close). My Kimber 1911 6" in .460 Rowland checks off all my hunting requirements: powerful, very accurate & fast follow up's. AND it will still fire 45 acp for range fun. Could I carry conseal it? Yes, but only under my neighbors moo-moo! I'm happy with the S&W, but if I didnt have it, I'd be all over a kimber 3 or 4 inch like Oprah on a ham. You could easily carry conseal a 3", and that extra barrel is a bonus (over the snubbie). The kimber width at 1.39 is less than the colt at 1.4, no biggie, but thin is in when it comes to a CC. I guess a good question to ask is do you plan on CC your choice at all? You certainly will feel the carry difference beween the K6 4" (25.5 oz.) & King cobra (42 oz.). Now add 158 gr ammo to that weight and i'd be walking funny by the end of day. As far as felt recoil is conserned: hand position, grips and ammo could be game-changers. There is a huge difference between my S&W 340 (13.8oz.!) and my S&W model 27. The Colt is purtie, but so isn't the K6. My buddy is Jones'n over the Colt, but only because it says Colt on it. Not me. I'll take a 3 or 4" stainless K3 please.
Jflytle and KCJeep like this.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:44 AM   #5

Originally Posted by medezyner View Post
I’ve been considering getting a 4” Combat, or Target, Or a Colt Python 2.0 4.25”. Aside from the current Colt issues that are going to be ironed out, I’m thinking about the actual weight of the Colt maybe better suited to shooting 357 regularly. At about 25oz the Kimber may be a bit light. So, I’d appreciate your thoughts, especially from those of you who already have or shot both of these particular models. I basically just want one in this barrel length ... no particular use in mind. Buying both isn’t something I’m considering. Thanks
"Back in the day" my handgun selections were based on versitility and cost/value. Eg: if I wanted to get into handgun hunting, could I find a big bore that will drop a deer, that I could CC and also compete with? You could, but it wont do all 3 well, it will be a compromise. Now i have a little more (just a little) disposable income and all my selections are purpose built. My EDC is a hammerless S&W 340 .357, super light weight scandium frame, night sights and is surprisingly accurate considering the barrel length. Ya, the .357 feels like a handgrenade going off, but this is my favorite CC I've ever owned (my Kahr PM9 came close). My Kimber 1911 6" in .460 Rowland checks off all my hunting requirements: powerful, very accurate & fast follow up's. AND it will still fire 45 acp for range fun. Could I carry conseal it? Yes, but only under my neighbors moo-moo! I'm happy with the S&W, but if I didnt have it, I'd be all over a kimber 3 or 4 inch like Oprah on a ham. You could easily carry conseal a 3", and that extra barrel is a bonus (over the snubbie). The kimber width at 1.39 is less than the colt at 1.4, no biggie, but thin is in when it comes to a CC. I guess a good question to ask is do you plan on CC your choice at all? You certainly will feel the carry difference beween the K6 4" (25.5 oz.) & King cobra (42 oz.). Now add 158 gr ammo to that weight and i'd be walking funny by the end of day. As far as felt recoil is conserned: hand position, grips and ammo could be game-changers. There is a huge difference between my S&W 340 (13.8oz.!) and my S&W model 27. The Colt is purtie, but so isn't the K6. My buddy is Jones'n over the Colt, but only because it says Colt on it. Not me. I'll take a 3 or 4" stainless K3 please.
Thanks for taking the time to write a thoughtful response. I carry a K6s 3” DAO and 357 isn’t an issue especially with the control grips. I have large hands and those particular grips work perfectly for me. So, I don’t plan on carrying this. I have access to/and have been fortunate enough to shoot a few nice revolvers ... just not a Python. I also have a K6s 3” DASA and really enjoy it; nice and handy at home, range and in a kit. This is a want and no where near a need.
medezyner likes this.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:19 AM   #6

Thanks for taking the time to write a thoughtful response. I carry a K6s 3 DAO and 357 isnt an issue especially with the control grips. I have large hands and those particular grips work perfectly for me. So, I dont plan on carrying this. I have access to/and have been fortunate enough to shoot a few nice revolvers ... just not a Python. I also have a K6s 3 DASA and really enjoy it; nice and handy at home, range and in a kit. This is a want and no where near a need.
Ahh, so a fun-gun. Yup, you've got a tough choice to make. Hopefully in a few months I'll be in the same position and will be looking at a.357 range/fun gun. My S&W 27 is a collectable safe queen, so I cant/wont shoot it. I've got it narrowed down to a 4" K6, and a 8 round S&W 327 trr8 pc. The 8 rounds and speed loading with moon clips feature may be too hard for me to pass up, but the stainless 4" target K6 is too damn pretty...but there is something about that Colt Python. It's like the difference between pretty, sexy and smok'in hot. Tough choices for sure.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:01 AM   #7

Originally Posted by medezyner View Post
Thanks for taking the time to write a thoughtful response. I carry a K6s 3” DAO and 357 isn’t an issue especially with the control grips. I have large hands and those particular grips work perfectly for me. So, I don’t plan on carrying this. I have access to/and have been fortunate enough to shoot a few nice revolvers ... just not a Python. I also have a K6s 3” DASA and really enjoy it; nice and handy at home, range and in a kit. This is a want and no where near a need.
Ahh, so a fun-gun. Yup, you've got a tough choice to make. Hopefully in a few months I'll be in the same position and will be looking at a.357 range/fun gun. My S&W 27 is a collectable safe queen, so I cant/wont shoot it. I've got it narrowed down to a 4" K6, and a 8 round S&W 327 trr8 pc. The 8 rounds and speed loading with moon clips feature may be too hard for me to pass up, but the stainless 4" target K6 is too damn pretty...but there is something about that Colt Python. It's like the difference between pretty, sexy and smok'in hot. Tough choices for sure.
Exactly, I shoot my brother’s Korth and a couple of early vintage S&W 686s and they are so much fun. The weight and triggers on these are superb. We both have centered on the 357 cartridge for now. I wanted to add something different. The appeal of the Kimber 4” is that I really like the feel and the controls of the ones that I have over the rest. I also really appreciate the quality and finish. I’ve handled the newer Cobra models and was impressed ... just not more than my Kimber. The finish wasn’t there ... I can be a bit picky. So, there it is; the reason for my post.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:33 PM   #8

Exactly, I shoot my brothers Korth and a couple of early vintage S&W 686s and they are so much fun. The weight and triggers on these are superb. We both have centered on the 357 cartridge for now. I wanted to add something different. The appeal of the Kimber 4 is that I really like the feel and the controls of the ones that I have over the rest. I also really appreciate the quality and finish. Ive handled the newer Cobra models and was impressed ... just not more than my Kimber. The finish wasnt there ... I can be a bit picky. So, there it is; the reason for my post.
Kimber or not, what ever you decide to get, please post and tell us how it ran at the range. Love first-hand reviews on forums such as this. Other forums get ass-hurt if you post other manufacturers, not at all on this one. Maybe you should buy/take/steal your brothers Korth! Or better yet, buy a K6 and have a smith turn an already good revolver into an orgasmic, kick-ass, take no prisoners revolver. I'm currently doing that with my Kimber long slide as the foundation (within a tight budget). So far I'm digging the ride. As said in Full Metal Jacket: "This is my Kimber, there are many like it, but this one is mine". Or something like that.
; )
Old 03-22-2020, 10:02 AM   #9

I wish that Kimber would sell the Adjustable Sights as accessories. I would like to install them on my 3" DASA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kimba23.jpg (3.04 MB, 8 views)
Nipperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:39 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Nipperdog View Post
I wish that Kimber would sell the Adjustable Sights as accessories. I would like to install them on my 3" DASA
I agree. Or at least offer different height front sights. My 3 DAO has always shot a bit low, about 3 at 30. Not terrible, but not great. My fix is to split the dot of the front sight, cut it in half, between the top of the rear sight. Sort of a semi pyramid sight pic. That works, but it is not ideal. I need approx. .050 shorter front sight to bring it right in.
Ceapea is offline   Reply With Quote