2" vs 3" - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Revolver Forum

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2020, 06:57 AM   #1

2" vs 3"

I have watched quite a few YouTubes and it seems several videos of K6's make mention that using 357's in the 2" model is almost unbearable. For those of you that own a 2", do you wish you had purchased a 3"? Or did you purchase the 2" primarily for CC?

I realize recoil is a subjective issue but was hoping some "long term" owners/shooters could shed some insight.
Gebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-03-2020, 10:02 AM   #2

FWIW, I don't own a Kimber .357 or .38, but I've owned and shot my Smith revolvers in those calibers since around 1968 or thereabouts, and have taken deer, wabbits, badgers and other varmints with them.

If you intend to shoot full house .357's, I'd opine you would be much better served with the 3" barrel instead of the two incher. Better sight radius and a bit more velocity too.

If you ever fire that weapon with .357's loaded in dim light or near dark, one shot out of it and you'll effectively be night blind due to the extreme muzzle flash. So choose wisely.
Chuck43, 2sharp2 and motormac like this.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:06 AM   #3

Holy Cow! That flash was never mentioned.

Thanks!

Old 04-03-2020, 10:11 AM   #4

Originally Posted by Gebo View Post
Holy Cow! That flash was never mentioned.

Thanks!
One shot in near dark with a short barrel .357 is something not soon forgotten!
Doons likes this.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:22 AM   #5

Both 2in and 3in are going to belch a good flame.

Rick makes the best argument 2in vs 3in. There's a significant difference in velocity.

BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .357 Mag Results
2sharp2 likes this.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:04 AM   #6

So if it were your purchase, would both of you lean to the 3"?
Old 04-03-2020, 11:14 AM   #7

Originally Posted by Gebo View Post
So if it were your purchase, would both of you lean to the 3"?
Yes, I would.

My meager collection of J-frame Smiths. The little 3" M60 .38 Spl is a great trail gun, riding in a El Paso pancake rig w/thumb break. It's one of my favorites when I don't want to chase fired brass and want to use shotshells for snakes.

For CC though, I much prefer a .45 auto. It's all personal choices.
byern likes this.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:23 AM   #8

I own a 6" smith. IT produces a gigantic "watermelon" when fired at night. A 357 (or 44) really is not what you want to use at night. Unless you are facing just one opponent, and you are confident in your ability to properly place the bullet to take him down permanently. Because you will likely get just one shot.

I encountered this maybe 35 years or so ago. Had an uncle with a large farm and they had had a couple of calves killed by coyotes. He asked me to run up with him to check on things and I grabbed my model 27 to take along "in case". Sure enough, when we got there, maybe 10pm, headlights showed a couple of coyotes walking down the dirt road. They jumped a fence and stood in some brambles. He asked "think you can take one of 'em out at least?" I said "think so, let's see." Slowly got out, lined up the shot using the trucks headlights (indirect) to see. Very dim. Fired one shot, and asked "did I get I'm?" He replied "how the hell should I know, can't see a damned thing (neither could I)." Turns out the shot was true, but you wouldn't know by looking right after the shot was fired.

I've fired a number of rounds through a smith 357 airweight revolver. Not particularly pleasant to shoot, but not impossible. But I have NEVER considered firing one at night unless I am asked to be a participant in a fireworks display...

I've not really fired anything at night since. I have fired a 9mm right at the edge of darkness, but it didn't even begin to approach the flash of that Elmer Keith round...
Rick in Oregon likes this.
BobHyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:31 AM   #9

Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
Yes, I would.

My meager collection of J-frame Smiths. The little 3" M60 .38 Spl is a great trail gun, riding in a El Paso pancake rig w/thumb break. It's one of my favorites when I don't want to chase fired brass and want to use shotshells for snakes.

For CC though, I much prefer a .45 auto. It's all personal choices.

Yes, I've decided on that. The Ultra II .45
Old 04-03-2020, 11:40 AM   #10

I have both 2in and 3in revolvers. They serve different purposes. Below are a couple Smiths I own.

If you would list your specific criteria for a revolver (main purpose) folks can provide more direct helpful answers. Some guys buy 2in revolvers just cuz they like the looks of 2in revolvers. Absent specific criteria, folks are just pounding on their keyboards so you can end up buying a Seecamp.

Click to enlarge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VMkIwJu.jpg (1.02 MB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9095.jpg (798.2 KB, 7 views)
2sharp2 likes this.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 04-03-2020 at 11:42 AM.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote