Kimber K6S Cylinder Length Dimension - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Revolver Forum

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2020, 06:39 AM   #1

Kimber K6S Cylinder Length Dimension

Can someone with a Kimber K6S measure the length of the cylinder length for me?

I have some old 180gr remington sjhp and I can load them at 1.65" oal. As you can see, they fit my L-frame but J-frames, N-frames, and my 30DS Rhino they are too long.

I would like to know if anyone with the Kimber can measure the cylinder and see if these would fit.

Remington bullet, this is a 180gr sjhp for the 357 maximum I believe for silhouette:

Thanks in Advance!

David
yamahawarrior89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-17-2020, 09:27 AM   #2

Sorry can't help, all my revolvers are Smiths.

Why not just use what would be considered 'standard' weight bullets for your gun? Do you have some specific reason for wanting to use these 180gr bullets? Would a 'standard' 158gr bullet not suffice?

If you're shooting silhouette or hunting, I'd imagine a 6" or longer barrel would be about right. What are you doing with a K6 that requires a 180 grainer?

Whatever the reason, welcome to the KT forum!
2sharp2 likes this.

Last edited by Rick in Oregon; 04-17-2020 at 09:30 AM.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 09:45 AM   #3

Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
Sorry can't help, all my revolvers are Smiths.

Why not just use what would be considered 'standard' weight bullets for your gun? Do you have some specific reason for wanting to use these 180gr bullets? Would a 'standard' 158gr bullet not suffice?

If you're shooting silhouette or hunting, I'd imagine a 6" or longer barrel would be about right. What are you doing with a K6 that requires a 180 grainer?

Whatever the reason, welcome to the KT forum!
I bought about 800 of them at a good price and can only shoot them with the L-Frame. I really wish they worked on the N-frame and the Rhino (the lack of recoil is very nice!) but no dice.

I am trying to choose between the 3" K6 and a Henry Model X in 357. I could use the Henry for hunting. I currently use a Henry in 45 Colt, but I'd like to try a 357, especially the 180 grainers.

I had a S&W model 60 pro that I liked and I would say the Kimber is a great competitor of it. The Kimber I've heard has a great trigger and fit and finish. It also carries an extra round.

Old 04-17-2020, 09:48 AM   #4

Got it; understand.

I've been poking about for a Marlin carbine in .357 Mag myself. Have two lever guns in .44 Mag, thought a companion in .357 would be neat.

Is it possible to just seat the 180's a bit deeper to clear the cylinder and adjust the powder volume accordingly?

Last edited by Rick in Oregon; 04-17-2020 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:24 AM   #5

Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
Got it; understand.

I've been poking about for a Marlin carbine in .357 Mag myself. Have two lever guns in .44 Mag, thought a companion in .357 would be neat.

Is it possible to just seat the 180's a bit deeper to clear the cylinder and adjust the powder volume accordingly?
If I seat them at the crimp groove, they fall right at 1.65" oal. I can seat deeper, but then I would have to use a taper crimp. That may be ok, but then I have to worry about bullet set back in a lever action and "crimp jump" in a revolver.

That is why I want to be able to run them at 1.65" oal.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:31 PM   #6

That makes perfect sense.

Another alternative if feasible, would be to use .38 Spl cases for the shorter case length. You won't get magnum velocities, but you'd be able to use those bullets in all your .357's.

Not sure how much use a 180gr bullet would be out of a .38 case, but you'd be at least be able to use them.
Old 04-17-2020, 01:28 PM   #7

Originally Posted by yamahawarrior89 View Post
I bought about 800 of them at a good price and can only shoot them with the L-Frame. I really wish they worked on the N-frame and the Rhino (the lack of recoil is very nice!) but no dice.

I am trying to choose between the 3" K6 and a Henry Model X in 357. I could use the Henry for hunting. I currently use a Henry in 45 Colt, but I'd like to try a 357, especially the 180 grainers.

I had a S&W model 60 pro that I liked and I would say the Kimber is a great competitor of it. The Kimber I've heard has a great trigger and fit and finish. It also carries an extra round.

I guess if you consider 9-12 pounds with even a few examples of K6's triggers being off the scale of some trigger gauges, then you might could use the term "great trigger." I would agree fit and finish is pretty good.

I have to admit didn't know an 180gr .357 existed?

Guess that's why you got a good price, can't be fired in everything 357.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:04 PM   #8

With my old mechanical dial caliper, my 3” K6s cylinder measure 1.670” from stem to stern. BUT the chambers are recessed .055”.

So my 3rd grade math says any round longer than 1.670 - .055 = 1.615” would be too long.

My regular carry Hornady Critical Defense 125 grain magnum loads measure 1.550”
Weldonjr2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:30 PM   #9

Thank you! Since the cylinder is recessed, the oal of the cartridge could be the same as the length of the cylinder (minus clearance to keep from binding).

The 1.67 is close, I might have to buy one and give it a try.
motormac likes this.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:04 PM   #10

I believe you’re correct. Glad you reasoned it out. I guess I should have used my 4th grade math.�� Good luck.
Weldonjr2001 is offline   Reply With Quote