Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Revolver Forum

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Rangemeister
  • 1 Post By boscobarbell
  • 1 Post By Rangemeister

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2020, 07:53 PM   #1

K6s Night Sight Install?

I was able to buy night sights for my Kimber revolver, but my gunsmith is too swamped with work to accept the job. I could, of course, just wait until this panic dies down, but I got to wondering if doing the swap myself is feasible.

I'm no gunsmith, but I'm not a complete idiot with guns, either. (Just did a trigger-lightening job on my Taurus revolver that seems to be a success, just as a quick example.)

But I do have a few questions:

1) Do I definitely need a sight pusher? This could be problem, since just about all the common ones I see out there are for semis but not revolvers. Has anyone else removed the rear sight? I assume the hole in the back is just a common hex screw? Is the sight pretty jammed in there even when the screw is removed?

2) Luckily, I was able to grab a night sight set from Kimber that has the predrilled front sight, so at least I won't have to worry about that issue (the new sights listed on the Kimber sight are NOT pre-drilled for the front roll pin, which would have made things a bunch more difficult). I have a 1/16 punch, so that front sight shouldn't pose a problem if it just pulls out when the pin is removed. Does it?

3) Does Kimber Loctite the sights at the factory? And, if so, what tricks do you recommend to loosen up the adhesion?

Thanks for whatever help is available.....

Last edited by boscobarbell; 08-12-2020 at 08:20 PM.
boscobarbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-27-2020, 05:55 PM   #2

My local gunsmith is still declining any more work, so I'm bumping this for any help out there.......
Old 09-11-2020, 09:12 AM   #3

K6S night sight

Just installed a set of NS on my K6S. Easy to do. Most important thing is to insure the locking screw in the rear sight is completely free of the old sight. Keep the screw, however my factory sights came with extra screw. Use a brass punch and drive the old sight out. Reinstall the new one, then tighten down the lock screw. I did not use lock tite and they gun did not have any lock tite that I could discern. Then move to the front sight, use a, is it a 1/16? punch to drive the locking pin out, again the factory NS came with extra pin, so.. The sight is a little hard to remove. I used a pair of pliers with masking tape wrapped around the plier teeth. Again, no lock tite found. I put a drop of blue on the front sight then replaced the pin. Too easy....good luck, you can handle it ok
Rangemeister is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2020, 10:42 AM   #4

That’s great info.

The rear sight screw...is that just a small Phillips head?

You’ve given me a burst of inspiration. Thanks much.
Old 09-12-2020, 10:20 AM   #5

Originally Posted by boscobarbell View Post
Thatís great info.

The rear sight screw...is that just a small Phillips head?

Youíve given me a burst of inspiration. Thanks much.
Okay, I took some initiative and contacted Kimber CS. The very polite gentleman who answered was unable to come up with any info from his materials, but I urged him to contact a Kimber armorer directly, and he was kind enough to do so.

Anyway, Kimber's answer is that the rear sight is held in place with a 1/16 hex screw.

Hope this information proves useful to others, as well. Wish me luck, as I think I've summoned up the courage to tackle this job myself.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:48 AM   #6

Sight

Take your time if it is the first time you have tried install night sights. I've done quite a lot so it seemed easy compared to say.... some Springfields I tried to tackle. You can do it...
boscobarbell likes this.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:59 PM   #7

So, I managed to do the sight install.

It was actually much easier than I had anticipated. The front sight was a breeze. The rear sight proved to be pretty to tap out (hammer and brass punch) once that hex screw was removed. Front sight dropped right back in, and the retaining pin popped right back in. The only snag was the rear sight...that darned thing was a BEAR to get back into place. Easy little taps with the hammer and punch just didn't cut it. I ended up covering the face of the sight with some masking tape, and I really had to WHACK that thing to get it to move. I ended up going through a lot of tape as just a tap or two would tear it. Eventually, I got the sight to within 1/32" of being dead center, and at that point is just wouldn't budge. I actually tapped it out again just to seem if there was an obstruction or a burr or something blocking it, but I couldn't see anything and managed to just barely get it back to where it stopped the first time.

Not great, but then again this isn't a range toy for me. Nor am I a bullseye shooter anyway. If I can put rounds in a pie plate grouping at center mass out to about 10 yards or so, then I'm good. I'll be sure to check it out soon at the arrange, but I don't expect it to be an issue.
Rangemeister likes this.

Last edited by boscobarbell; 09-16-2020 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:59 PM   #8

It's a process, good job!
boscobarbell likes this.

Last edited by Rangemeister; 09-16-2020 at 07:02 PM.