Ok, here's my problem - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Rifles Forum

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2014, 03:50 PM   #1

Ok, here's my problem

Well, one of them anyway. I'm a sucker for rifles. ( And handguns and shotguns...but I digress) I really love Kimber rifles. The fit, the finish, the design, the execution, are all fantastic. I want one. Another one. One thing I have noticed about Kimber rifles is that they drop calibers quite often. I guess if something isn't moving, they drop it, or they do limited runs, or whatever.

So here is my dilemma. I want one. I don't know what caliber. I have Stevens rifles in 30-06 and 7-08, so I'm thinking why reinvent the wheel and stay with calibers I have ammo for. On the other hand, what fun is that. Maybe a 22-250 would be the ticket. Maybe a 25-06? What do you all think?

Before anyone asks, it's just for fun and for target shooting. I'm not a hunter.

You guys that have not handled a Kimber rifle should try it sometime, in a store or wherever. They are so sleek, so well made, so sexy.........I need a moment here.

For even more fun, here are my Stevens rifles- I Cerakoted them last year and the came out pretty cool.

bigdog10, glokrok and rockninemm like this.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-22-2014, 05:05 PM   #2
Super Moderator

I have written and rewritten this thing a half a dozen times trying to approach it from 6 different directions and finally realized I can't get there from here. You don't hunt, you're not a competitive target shooter and Kimber has a limited number of calibers they chamber rifles for. You mentioned light and medium calibers, do you have any interest in throwing heavy bullets 300+ grains down range?

Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:22 PM   #3

Go with a .223. There's a variety of bullet weights, ammo availability is good and inexpensive. If you have or plan to acquire an AR platform you could using the ammo there too. Low recoil, fun to shoot.
Fleamac likes this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2014, 05:23 PM   #4

personally, I have been wanting a 22-250 because I hear they are fast and flat and real fun to shoot. for fun and target shooting. uhh yep. im like you about changing calibers. why not just stick with one or two. you said, what fun is that. well I say its fun but more calibers is more fun.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:58 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
I have written and rewritten this thing a half a dozen times trying to approach it from 6 different directions and finally realized I can't get there from here. You don't hunt, you're not a competitive target shooter and Kimber has a limited number of calibers they chamber rifles for. You mentioned light and medium calibers, do you have any interest in throwing heavy bullets 300+ grains down range?
That would be fun too.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:35 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
That would be fun too.
Ever play with a slug gun? I've got a worked over Savage 210F bolt action 12ga that will shoot 4 MOA out to 200 yards.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:45 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Ever play with a slug gun? I've got a worked over Savage 210F bolt action 12ga that will shoot 4 MOA out to 200 yards.
I've shot slugs out of a SPAS. Damn that hurt Made me cry. Kimber doesn't make slug guns, luckily.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:47 AM   #8

If you want a rifle to sit down on a bench and shoot, becareful with the light tapered barrels on some of the Kimber rifles, I have one, love it. But it's not a rifle you can sit down and shoot all day, the barrel gets hot quick and stays hot. When I was sighting in I would wait 30 minutes between three shot groups with a cleaning in between. Great rifle but it's not one you can sit and throw 100 rounds down range in a short period of time.
UFBeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:47 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Rifles with light weight barrels are designed for carrying in the field hunting not shooting all day from a bench.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:16 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Insta-Gator View Post
Go with a .223. There's a variety of bullet weights, ammo availability is good and inexpensive. If you have or plan to acquire an AR platform you could using the ammo there too. Low recoil, fun to shoot.
I agree . purchased a Remington 700 police in .223 last year and picked up a colt LE6920 socom ll ,AR a couple of days ago. 2 differant guns, same ammo.
the AR can use 5.56 but I will use .223 ,keeps things simple.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote