Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Chuck43
  • 2 Post By jkingrph
  • 1 Post By Timc
  • 1 Post By Timc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2016, 08:33 PM   #1

6.5 Creedmore for Elk?

Thinking about using my 6.5 Creedmore Kimber Hunter for my Idaho Bull Elk hunt next month. Minimum caliber for prior Elk hunts was 270 Win. Anybody successfully taken Bull Elk with a 6.5 caliber cartridge please chime in. Thank you.
KimberHntrBoise6.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-24-2016, 07:06 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I have no personal experience with the 6.5 Creedmore, the round didn't exist when I was elk hunting. I've taken 7 elk in my lifetime all one shot kills and found that a heavier bullet (180 gr. min.) works best. It's not unusual for a bull elk in rut to roll in a scrape and end up with a thick layer of mud on his body (think body armor). My primary elk gun is a Remington 700 BDL .338 win mag shooting a Nosler 210 gr. Spitzer partition bullet in front of 75 gr. of IMR 4831 giving me 2800 fps. My back up gun is a Remington 700 BDL .300 win mag shooting a Nosler 180 gr. Spitzer partition bullet pushed by 72 gr. of IMR 4831 for 3100 fps. These loads also work very well for moose.

I've just done a little reading on the 6.5 Creedmore, it was
designed by Hornady in 2007 specifically for target shooting. It's a medium power cartridge and is comparable to the .260 Remington.

Please don't misunderstand when I say that it wouldn't be my first choice for an elk gun. I hope you have a safe, enjoyable and successful hunt. Where are you hunting, I used to hunt the Teton Wilderness in Wyoming. I'd love to see some pictures or read a report of your hunt.
Nellybelle likes this.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:09 PM   #3

Chuck Check This Out!

I was going to say he needs "More Power" for Elk hunting in Idaho but I retract that thought when I found this article, now it don't "look" like a hunting rifle but I feel the story applies.
Chuck I found this interesting and educational for me. Schooling for us old school guys.

Sounds like 800 yards or less he'll be good to go.
Can't wait to see the Elk he gets with it.

Also found a video of a Elk hunt in New Mexico on the Silencerco site, guy gets another shot the next morning possibly cause he was using a silencer. He was shooting a Kimber rifle, Vortex scope.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...r-rifle-build/

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2016, 06:34 PM   #4

The Swedes have been using the 6.5x55 for over a hundred years on their elk/moose type game. Apparently the sectional density of most 6.5 bullets is excellent, giving good penetration.
Chuck43 and Jflytle like this.
jkingrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 06:56 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois jkingrph.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:12 PM   #6

Hi, New to the forum here, but not new to shooting or to the 6.5 calibers. I've had a 6.5 Swede around since the 70s. I have a friend in Colorado that between him and his wife, they keep their freezers full of elk using various 6.5 calibers. Dom loads a 120 Barnes TSX to around 3000 fps and never recovers a bullet, even if it hits bone. I saw one of his photos where from slightly above the elk, his 120 gr went through the left lung, the heart, the right lung, and when it exited the lower right side hit the right front leg. In the photo you can see it completely removed the right front leg as though you had sawed it off, and those upper leg bones are 2-3" around.
So yes, the 6.5 is more than capable for elk . For deer, he just uses a standard cup and core 120 gr bullet and saves the Barnes for elk.
You have to look, but you can just see its front right leg is gone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OPening day bull 10-15-16 003.JPG (129.8 KB, 12 views)
Jflytle likes this.
Timc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 03:18 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois Timc, how about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership?
Old 12-30-2016, 07:30 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois Timc, how about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership?
I did just that thing, and thank you for reminding me to do this!

My friend in Colorado, Dom, had a cow-tag to fill and got her this morning, at 260 yds. This time he used a 6.5 WSM, and again used, you guessed it, the 120 gr Barnes TSX bullet. He said it was pretty cold there this morning. Yes, the 6.5s will work. I've heard that the cows in a number of species, including elk, can actually be harder to kill than the bulls. This cow just took one shot from a 6.5. It's placement and bullet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12-30-2016 Cow 001.JPG (122.3 KB, 9 views)
AKBoreal likes this.

Last edited by Timc; 12-30-2016 at 07:33 PM.
Timc is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

6.5 creedmore for elk hunting

Click on a term to search for related topics.