Loads for Kimber 84M Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor - Page 2 - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Rifles Forum

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2017, 12:22 PM   #11
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois hairy_toes. Other then to tell you the 84M doesn't take a clip it has a magazine* I have nothing to offer other then to call Kimber.

Customer Service
Toll-Free: (888) 243-4522
Hours: MF, 9:30 a.m.7 p.m. Eastern

*The difference between clips and magazines is the presence of a feed mechanism in a magazine, typically a spring-loaded follower, which a clip lacks.
2sharp2 likes this.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:45 PM   #12
Banned

Originally Posted by hairy_toes View Post
Hello,
I just got a brand new Kimber 84M Hunter model chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor for Christmas. I finally got a chance to test fire it last week. This is my first Kimber rifle. It will probably be my last Kimber product ever. In fact, after trying this stuff I will most likely ditch this rifle and buy something else.
Remington for the budget minded. Winchester for those that can afford a little more or if you find a good deal. Weatherby for those that want the best. IMO, YMMV...
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 04:53 PM   #13

Kimber 84M Hunter 6.5 Creedmoor Info

After reading the responses to this thread, thought I might add a few words.

1) I made a call to Kimber Customer Service yesterday and was told that they no longer include a test target with their rifles.

2) As to what cartridge or bullet they use to perform their three shot accuracy test, I was told that they just use whatever commercial ammunition they happen to have on hand. No specific bullet, weight of bullet, etc. I would assume for the 6.5 Creedmoor, this would be one of the Hornady offerings. I'm a bit skeptical of this, but since this is my first Kimber, perhaps there is something magical about their products and that they are immune to rifle barrel harmonics, the laws of physics, etc.

3) As per hairy toes' responses:

1. I also have difficulty inserting the third cartridge in the clip. However, this is not an issue for me as I seldom load over three total rounds in a hunting rifle.

2. My wing safety is also "stiff", but hopefully will loosen up with use. I did spray the bolt with a significant amount of WD40 and it seemed to help.

3. I see similar grouping as he does. Five shot groups of Hornady factory 140 AMAX's string horizontally. Five shot groups of Nosler 120 Ballistics Tips, cluster three within an inch and throw the last two an inch away at 2:00. Five shot Hornady 129 SST's shoot within 1.25 inch and almost at the same point of impact as the 140 AMAX's. I have a dozen .264" bullets to try. However, if it won't shoot a Lapua 123 grain Scenar or a Berger 130 grain VLD, something is wrong. I wait 4 minutes between shots and always shoot one fouler before starting accuracy testing. I'll do ladder testing with the Hornady 129 grain SST's and see if things improve.

4. I have shot a lot of 6.5 Creedmoor rifles over the last six years and the Kimber may be a bit more finicky than most. I'm confident that this rifle will also shoot five within an inch once I find the proper bullet.

5. On the positive side, the gun is very light and four days of hunting in light rain didn't bother it a bit.

6. The barrel fouls very little. I use "Wipe Out", followed by WD40, then Kroil, and then a light gun oil when cleaning.

7. I can feel one rough spot in the barrel about 10 inches from the muzzle.

Sadly, Kimber Customer Service has not been of much help. One would think if they are going to guarantee three shot MOA accuracy they would at least know what cartridge they tested with. And by the way, it took six phone calls to finally get through to them.
FWB300S is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2017, 05:29 PM   #14

Something I picked up from another forum. Most scope bases have 4 screws the same lenght. If you look down into the threaded holes in the action the front hole is atleast 1 or 2 threads shallower, due to the threads for the barrel being in this hole. Reports of 3 shot groups being 2 almost toutching and the 3rd a flyer were experienced by others and myself. Shortening the front screw resulted in .5 moa groups. I have modified mine but not tested yet. When I get to the range I will post results.

Last edited by budsfolley; 01-19-2017 at 05:38 PM.
budsfolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:14 PM   #15
Banned

Originally Posted by budsfolley View Post
Something I picked up from another forum. Most scope bases have 4 screws the same lenght. If you look down into the threaded holes in the action the front hole is atleast 1 or 2 threads shallower, due to the threads for the barrel being in this hole. Reports of 3 shot groups being 2 almost toutching and the 3rd a flyer were experienced by others and myself. Shortening the front screw resulted in .5 moa groups. I have modified mine but not tested yet. When I get to the range I will post results.
What is the theory that accounts for "shorter front screw = more accuracy"? A link?
Old 01-20-2017, 08:02 AM   #16

Screw apparently in some cases bottoms against barrel causing a hormonic which the pencil barrel does not like. As I said I have shortened the screw in mine and will post when I get to the range.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:20 AM   #17
Banned

Originally Posted by budsfolley View Post
Screw apparently in some cases bottoms against barrel causing a hormonic which the pencil barrel does not like. As I said I have shortened the screw in mine and will post when I get to the range.
I look forward to hearing the range report. All my rifles are more accurate then I am, even at a bench, and yet deer fall consistently.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:59 PM   #18

Got to range today. 3 shot group with Hornady Precision Hunter 143 XLR-X
dropped to >.8 MOA with 2 more groups just under 1 MOA. Hornady Hog Hunter 120 Grain came in at about 1.2 - 1.3 MOA. If you are getting less than expected accurany, I would suggest looking at the front scope mount screw.

Tags
6.5 creedmoor, accuracy, data, hunting, reloads

Search tags for this page
6.5 creedmoor rl16 loads

kimber 6.5 creedmoor review accuracy

kimber 84m 6.5 creedmoor reviews
kimber 84m hunter 6.5 creedmoor
kimber hunter 6.5 creedmoor

kimber hunter 6.5 creedmoor accuracy

kimber hunter 6.5 creedmoor review

kimber hunter rifle accuracy
Click on a term to search for related topics.