Montana lightweight - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Rifles Forum

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2017, 01:18 PM   #1

Montana lightweight

Does anybody know which modifications account for what amount of weight savings on the Model 84 rifles? I like the MA models but ready do not care for the funky camo patterns. I could go for the green MA version but I never thought that I wanted a green stock. Ideally, I would like that same stock in brown or black. So, I digress. The Montana comes with a gray stock but is not modified to be " lightweight". Therefore, I was just pondering some modifications to it to make it lighter. Any ideas?
Welldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-06-2017, 01:56 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois Welldone, if you want the lightweight MA why not buy it and refinish the stock in a color you like?
Old 01-06-2017, 02:08 PM   #3

Gotcha. I've never held a Kimber nor felt of the stock but Ithought the finish was " soft and grippy". I had not considered painting because I assumed the paint might not turn out good.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:21 PM   #4
Super Moderator

You might try giving Kimbers customer service a call and asking them about it, they may be able to suggest something else.

Customer Service
Toll-Free: (888) 243-4522
International Calls: +1-406-758-2222
Hours: MF, 9:30 a.m. 6 p.m. Eastern
Old 01-06-2017, 05:50 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Welldone View Post
Gotcha. I've never held a Kimber nor felt of the stock but Ithought the finish was " soft and grippy". I had not considered painting because I assumed the paint might not turn out good.
Correct me if I'm wrong Chuck. Welldone, when Chuck said "refinish" the stock, I don't think he meant (paint) I think he was talking about having it Cerakoted.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:34 AM   #6
K22

The carbon fiber Montana stocks are not sticky and I don't think the Mountain Ascent is sticky either.
If you have never handled a Kimber Mountain Ascent or the Montana I would suggest doing so before making a decision. The reason I say this is the Montana's handle exceptionally well. As for that matter, so do the Classics.

The bolt body is fluted and the bolt handle is skeletonized along with holes drilled in the mag. box. I believe the trigger guard is titanium on the Mountain Ascents.

A titanium bolt handle and trigger guard can be purchased from a machinist guy on another forum, thus getting the Montana down closer to the Mountain Ascent weight.

My Kimber Montana in 204 with Talley lightweight ring mounts, Leupold 2.5-8X36 VX3, Vero Vellini sling, and 5 rounds weights 6lbs. 3oz. The Kimber Montana in 17 Rem. with Talley lightweight ring mounts, Leu. VX2 2-7X33, Vero Vellini sling, and 5 rounds of ammo weights 6lbs. 4oz. My 243 Classic, 7-08 Classic Select, and 30-06 Classic, all sporting the same setup as the Montana's weight 6lbs. 11oz. to 6lbs 13oz. , so none of the Kimber 84M's or 84L's weight very much.

Don't know if this helps you or not, but this might be some info you can use.
Chuck43, 2sharp2, vlodpg and 1 others like this.
K22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 07:29 AM   #7

Thanks. That is the kind of info that is very helpful. I am also planning to handle these different rifles before I decide. Not many gunshops around here actually have them on the shelf. I will have to make about a 2 1/2 hour drive to put my hands on them.
Thanks
Chuck43 and 2sharp2 like this.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:08 AM   #8
Banned

Handle a Weatherby while you are at it. My Mark V in the 338 is an amazing rifle. The glass bedded stock was professionally done, and whether that accounts for its accuracy, I cannot say, but the rifle is my best shooter. Its quality is apparent from first picking it up.
Chuck43 likes this.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:18 AM   #9
Banned

I went back to see what I paid for my Mark V and then searched for what I would pay today. I got a good deal back in May of 2014.

I did come across this, and even better deal. I'd jump on this if I was looking for another Mark V Sporter, a 300 Weatherby Mag.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/611186761
Chuck43 likes this.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:36 AM   #10

Originally Posted by K22 View Post
A titanium bolt handle and trigger guard can be purchased from a machinist guy on another forum, thus getting the Montana down closer to the Mountain Ascent weight.
(I was doing an internet search on ways to lighten a Kimber Montana and found this old thread.)

K22 - I've got a Kimber Montana in .300 Win Mag inbound, and a Ti bolt and trigger guard sounds good to me. What is the name of the machinist guy and on what forum can he be found? Please PM me if you don't want to publish the info.

TIA!

Last edited by shinbone; 12-09-2017 at 05:39 AM.
shinbone is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page
kimber montana 6.5 creedmoor

stock refinish kimber mountain ascent?

Click on a term to search for related topics.