Lost rear Kimber scope base clamping screw - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Rifles Forum

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2014, 02:13 PM   #1

Lost rear Kimber scope base clamping screw

I have lost the left rear clamping screw on my Kimber base mount. Don't know when but it must have vibrated loose and out during the many miles it rode in my pickup last year. It is an Kimber 84M in .257 Roberts. I tried calling Kimber customer service and they told me that they could not provide said part. It is Parts List Number 61 on the Exploded view shown on their web site. I then called back and asked to talk with a supervisor, explained my predicament and told him specifically which part it was. He said they don't usually do this but took my mailing address and said he would send me one. When the package arrived what was in it was the base screws that thread into the receiver.Wrong!
Then I sat down and wrote a letter to the Kimber corporate office explained my dilemma. That was in early November. All I hear is the sound of crickets. I was under the impression that Kimber was a class act, but I am beginning to wonder. Does anyone have an idea where I can get this Scope Clamping Screw. The Kimber people I talked to would not even say where I might get one. I sure need some direction from some on who knows.
Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-30-2014, 02:19 PM   #2

Did you try Numrich?
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 02:22 PM   #3

These guys probably have it- Jack First- Jack First Gunshop - First in Gun Parts - Rapid City, South Dakota

Old 11-30-2014, 02:25 PM   #4

Or you might have to buy a new base mount from Kimber- they are on the site. Maybe you could find out who makes them and contact them directly.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:00 PM   #5
Super Moderator

How about if you removed one of the remaining screws and took it in to a gunsmith or machine shop either one could easily measure it and give you the dia, length and TPI. Given that information the gunsmith should be able to find you a replacement. If not using that information I'm sure a call to Brownells would get you a replacement.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:08 PM   #6

Welcome, Gaffer. Good luck. Wish I could help, but I don't have any Kimber long guns.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:00 AM   #7

I am surprised that Kimber is so remiss customer service wise. Any other gun company would do a much better job at appeasing a customer with a brand specific scope mount problem. And you would think that a letter sent specifically to the corporate office would at least bring an apology.

I own many other long guns and pistols and have dealt with most manufacturers with repair or other issues and have always been treated as an important customer. This is my first and only Kimber and was really interested in their carry 1911's with the modified grip but this treatment is a real turnoff. I cannot imagine why a gun company would not carry parts for their gun specific scope mounts or at least tell a customer who makes them for them. Really poor customer service and not a way to increase business. If their philosophy of a business model is this poor one wonders about the quality of their product.

Last edited by Gaffer; 12-01-2014 at 05:02 AM.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:52 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
I am surprised that Kimber is so remiss customer service wise. Any other gun company would do a much better job at appeasing a customer with a brand specific scope mount problem. And you would think that a letter sent specifically to the corporate office would at least bring an apology.

I own many other long guns and pistols and have dealt with most manufacturers with repair or other issues and have always been treated as an important customer. This is my first and only Kimber and was really interested in their carry 1911's with the modified grip but this treatment is a real turnoff. I cannot imagine why a gun company would not carry parts for their gun specific scope mounts or at least tell a customer who makes them for them. Really poor customer service and not a way to increase business. If their philosophy of a business model is this poor one wonders about the quality of their product.
Did you ask them who makes the part? You were in the gun business? No ideas at all who makes parts like that? You could always by another mount. Sounds to me like you are angry because they won't send you something for free. Maybe I'm wrong, and I understand you don't have the screw, but why don't you just buy the mount assembly? It's under $50.

To find out who makes them, I would start by calling Talley. They sell Kimber stuff, are very friendly, and probably know what goes on in the industry.
Chuck43 likes this.

Last edited by Gmountain; 12-01-2014 at 06:06 AM.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:29 AM   #9

No, I agreed to pay for the part and shipping but to have to buy a whole new mount is more money than one should have to do. I as I recall it was quite a bit more than the $50 dollars you quoted. I have lots of Redfield and Leupold mount part sand screws and some of other brands of scope mounts but Kimber mounts were specific to the rifle.

I was a manager with the telephone company and know what good customer service should be. What you see today is a far cry from those good old days with most companies. I am only trying to show that companies must return to that good will if they want to exist. It is the right thing to do! Heck, I would not have any problem with a $5 charge for the screw and $5 for shipping. It would be worth $500 in good will for the company to provide same but the attitude and snottiness of their customer service was what got under my skin. How hard would it be for them to say these mounts are made by xyz company and their telephone number is xxx-xxx-xxxx.

I am not trying to be a hard ass, only trying to get a rifle back to service.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:28 PM   #10

To answer some of the questions raised by others; yes, I looked at Jack First but they want you to order they parts schematic books first at almost $40. Numrich does not list Kimber in their schematic book and on line they have few rifle parts. I did ask Kimber who made their scope bases and they would not tell me. I currently have contacted Talley and they have asked me to send them a link to the exploded view of the 84M rifle parts which I have done. Will probably hear back tomorrow.
I really am a nice guy but I cannot stand the poor customer service that most companies give today. To put up with it and look the other way is not how to get it corrected. I learned that a long long time ago. At 82 I have learned an awful lot that most younger people have yet to learn. Thanks everyone!

Search tags for this page

kimber 6-40 scope mount screws

kimber 84 with small screws

kimber talley scews to small

Click on a term to search for related topics.