Kimber Hunter in .308 Win - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Rifles Forum

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2017, 06:07 AM   #1

Kimber Hunter in .308 Win

My intention with this thread is to keep a running log of experiences with my Kimber Hunter in .308 Win. This rifle is equipped with a Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10X40mm silver scope, Leupold stainless steel rings, Kimber 2 piece stainless steel bases. The trigger breaks at a couple ounces less than 4 lbs, according to my inexpensive Wheeler Trigger Pull Gauge. After a couple cleanings and the initial range session, bolt cycling is very slick.
- Cartridge overall length is limited by the magazine. 2.80" COL works but I have not tried cartridges of the SAAMI max COL of 2.81".
- All rounds feed from the magazine that came with the gun. Loading one in the chamber and closing the bolt before inserting the magazine loaded with three rounds seems to work best, if having four rounds in the gun is important.
- The first of the three rounds in the magazine requires a little more effort to chamber than the following two.
- The first range session was mainly for purposes of barrel break-in. No problems with function were experienced through firing 60 rounds of Win 150 gr. Powerpoint. Good potential for group-ability was observed, but no measurements were taken. Recoil was a little sharper than what I've experienced with other heavier .308s, but was not at all objectionable.

Jim
Chuck43, 2sharp2, bhunted and 4 others like this.
bldr52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-19-2017, 01:27 PM   #2

Accuracy Guarantee Exceeded!

"This Kimber rifle is designed to be capable of shooting a 3-shot group of .99" or less at 100 yards by a highly skilled and qualified shooter using factory ammunition." - Kimber Accuracy Guarantee

Well, I am not "a highly skilled and qualified shooter", but during a hot uncomfortable range session earlier today, while shooting plain Jane Winchester Super X 308 Win 150 gr. Powerpoints from the bench at 100 yards, I fired a 3/4" three-shot group. My Kimber Hunter exceeded the Kimber guarantee. I am a happy Kimber owner.

Temperature at the range was in the upper 80s. There was a mild cross-breeze from my right during the bench rest shooting. The 3 shot cluster was 3/4" left of point of aim. I shot plenty of rounds from the magazine during this session. There were no rifle issues of any sort. I stopped my range session after 30 rounds because I was getting uncomfortable and not having fun anymore.

It's interesting noting how much difference there is in the effect of hot weather on my 65 year old self compared to memories of working outdoors in construction trades in more extreme conditions when I was in my twenties!

Jim
bhunted, Jflytle, swca and 1 others like this.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:15 AM   #3

Notes on fit and finish.

I bought my Kimber Hunter for a backup to my primary center-fire hunting rifle, a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight. I have found nothing wrong with the rifle for my purposes. I have fired 100 rounds or so through it at the time of this writing

Fit and finish of the stainless steel action and barrel are flawless. The stock works just as intended, but the workmanship is not at the same level of quality as the metalwork. The stock finish is great, with surfaces that are "grippy" where they should be. The Kimber recoil pad does a fine job of softening the blow when the rifle is fired, but its fit to the butt-stock leaves a little to be desired. There is plenty of clearance in the barrel channel for the free-floated barrel, but the barrel is not centered in the channel.

Kimber promotes the Hunter's stock as being quite stiff and makes much of the cellular structure in the fore end, beneath the barrel. It is not bad for stiffness, but reminds me of the stiffness of the fore end in a walnut stocked Ruger Hawkeye that I used to have. The fore end is not as stiff, nor is it fitted as well to the barrel, as the fore end on my Model 70. I worry a little about the effects of use of a sling as a shooting aid on the Kimber, but so far I have noticed no ill effects.

As noted in a prior post, the magazine that came with my rifle works just fine. I received a couple extra magazines that I purchased from EuroOptic a couple days ago. I will write about my experiences with them after trying them out.

Jim
Cybercycle likes this.

Last edited by bldr52; 07-22-2017 at 05:20 AM.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:36 AM   #4

Extra Kimber Mags from EuroOptic

I shook out the extra Kimber magazines I bought from EuroOptic this morning and am quite pleased. These mags look to be identical to the one that came with the rifle, except they work better! Each of the new mags has"R2" handwritten with a Sharpie on the side, and this is how they were when removed from the original factory packaging. Rounds feed much more smoothly from these new mags - much less force is required. In fact, smoothness of feeding is on par with what I experience with the box magazine w/hinged floor plate on my Model 70 Featherweight!

The more I get to know this little rifle, the more I like it!

Jim
Jflytle and swca like this.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:55 AM   #5

Perfect Range Morning

Had a near perfect range session this morning; temps in upper 70s, sunshine, very little wind. Shot from the 200 yard bench with the Kimber Hunter and Winchester Super X .308 Win 150 gr. PowerPoint factory loads. My best 3 shot group was 1 3/8" wide and 1 1/8" high. The rifle worked great. I continue to tweak the scope for MPBR with this factory load. It is looking pretty good. With 200 yard point of impact 2 1/4" above point of aim, it should rise no more than 3 1/2" above line of sight and drop no more than about the same amount out to 285 yards. 300 yards will require a couple inches of hold over while 400 yards will require 22". The ballistics info I develop and verify will go on a note card that I will slip in between the butt stock and cartridge sleeve that I have on the rifle.

Jim
Jflytle likes this.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:24 PM   #6

Hard to believe...

Hello, Kimber folks. Just another post to my account of experiences with my Kimber Hunter in .308 Win. Had a pleasant range session with it this morning. Weather was very good, with mild temps and a gentle breeze from right to left across the 100 yard range. My goal for this session was to determine how the Winchester 150 gr PSP load that I have been using compared to Remington 150 gr CL PSP. I started the range session with a cold dirty bore and a three shot group of the Winchester, which went into 5/8". This was the best 3 shot group I had ever shot with this rifle from the bench. I next did a 3 shot group with the Remington stuff, which went into 1 1/2" - not bad, but certainly not like the first Winchester group. I went back and forth between the Winchester and Remington loads, allowing a little cooling time for the barrel in between, until I had fired four 3 shot bench rest groups with each load. Well, I ended up surprised, and elated! The Winchester groups expanded as the barrel heated, to the point where there was no sense even measuring them. The first Remington group was the largest of the four I fired, and the smallest was an eye popping 1/2"!The average of the four Remington groups was 1.06"! Folks, I have been shooting bolt action centerfire sporters for 40 years. I have shot rifles from Mauser, Savage, Remington, Winchester, and Ruger. I customized hand loads for many of those rifles. I do not remember ever shooting a 3 shot 1/2" bench rest group with any of those rifles with their best loads, and the Remington factory loads I used today are absolutely nothing special.

Given a chance, this little Kimber Hunter could grow on a fella!

Jim
2sharp2, Jflytle and swca like this.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:03 AM   #7
K22

Sounds like a very promising rifle.
K22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:18 AM   #8

This is a great rundown thread! Thank you for continuing to update. Sounds like you're really getting dialed in and have found a great combination with the 150gr Remmy's. Good luck and keep us posted.
DaVinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 02:49 PM   #9

Not working out...

This isn't working out at all. I bought my Hunter as a back up for my Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - a fine rifle.

Today I took the Featherweight to the range to shake out a couple of carefully tailored handloads. The rifle shot well from the 100 yard bench. Both loads averaged 1 1/4" across four 3 shot groups, with the best group going into 5/8". This kind of performance is really all anyone should expect from a mid-price mid-weight bolt action sporter.

So what's the problem? The Hunter shoots better! And it is an ultra-light that was shaken out with inexpensive factory loads! It seems that a certain Kimber Hunter does not intend to be a back up for anything!

Jim
Elf1 likes this.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:08 AM   #10

Practice

Took the Hunter to the range yesterday morning. It was a nearly perfect range morning and I had the facility entirely to myself for most of the morning.

I set up at a 100 yard bench and started my session with two 5 shot bench rest groups with the two factory loads I've been shooting lately. My focus with this activity was sight picture, trigger squeeze, and shot calling. I was rewarded with tiny groups that are starting to become routine with this rifle and assurance that I had the scope adjustment just where it needed to be, centered left to right and 2 3/4" above the aiming point. This assurance was important to me because during the last range session a friend had asked to examine the rifle - he is one of those well-intentioned types who is convinced that the old guy need lots of advice. Anyway, he picked up the Kimber and started wrenching the stock to and fro with his hands in an apparent and alarming attempt to show me its insufficiencies. Well, no insufficiencies were revealed.

I continued my practice from the four common field positions with 20 rounds for a total of 30 rounds fired. Results of this part of the session, in summary, were that more practice is needed! I may have learned something more that is important, too. I have been going back and forth in my mind concerning use of a sling. Yesterday, I worked with the rifle both slung and unslung. Right now, my thought is that the sling is cumbersome for hunting. I find it confining and uncomfortable - at my age it seems to exacerbate normal aches and pains. Also, I worry that fooling with the sling might interfere with a timely shot on game. Yesterday's practice results seemed to indicate that there was not much accuracy improvement due to its use. We'll see...

So, for those of you that are serious riflemen and hunters, how do you practice?

Jim

Search tags for this page
kimber hunter bases
kimber rifle trigger adjustment

kimber rifles problems

magazine problems on kimber hunter
Click on a term to search for related topics.