Kimber Hunter in .257 Roberts - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Rifles Forum

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2017, 11:29 AM   #1

Kimber Hunter in .257 Roberts

Well, I was so pleased with my Hunter in .308 Win that I bought another in .257 Bob. I've written about the .308 in another thread. I took the 257 on its first range trip today. It is outfitted with Kimber 2 piece stainless bases, Leupold silver rings, and Leupold VX-2 3-9X40mm silver scope. Sighting in from a 100 yard bench began with bore sighting. Following that, getting dialed in for a +3" POI was accomplished with a minimum number of rounds. Ammo used was Hornady Superformance 117 gr SST. The Kimber accuracy guarantee was easily met with one 3 shot group going into 3/8". Everything about the new rig worked perfectly.

I have had successful history with the 257 Roberts from many years ago, and have been without one for a long time. In the 84M Hunter, it provides a nice balance between power, recoil, and weight, which makes it particularly attractive for this aging rifleman. So far, I am completely satisfied with my purchase.

Jim
Chuck43 and swca like this.
bldr52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-22-2017, 07:34 AM   #2
K22

Another winner for you Jim. And a wonderful caliber. One of my favorites actually, but like said, I don't have one right now either.

The Kimbers you have are shooting great, but in truth, the shooter himself is apparently a very accomplished shooter. Nice job.

Jim
Chuck43 and bldr52 like this.
K22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:53 AM   #3

Originally Posted by bldr52 View Post
In the 84M Hunter, it provides a nice balance between power, recoil, and weight, which makes it particularly attractive for this aging rifleman. Jim
Jim, I agree.

I have a Kimber 84M Varmint in 204 Ruger (I shoot a lot of colony rodents) and as an "aging rifleman" too, I find this rifle to be a mini clone of my all-time favorite, the pre '64 Model 70 Winchester (which in various calibers I've hunted with for over 50 years).

Light, nimble, controlled round feeding, three-position wing safety, classic design, excellent materials and workmanship....what's NOT to like, right?
Chuck43, bldr52, swca and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Rick in Oregon; 10-22-2017 at 01:04 PM.
Rick in Oregon is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2017, 10:21 AM   #4

.257 Roberts is that similar to a .243 or .270? What game do you hunt with it? Where are the pictures of the Rifles?
By the way that is some nice shooting!! Keep it going.
bldr52 likes this.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:16 PM   #5

Originally Posted by K22 View Post
Another winner for you Jim. And a wonderful caliber. One of my favorites actually, but like said, I don't have one right now either.

The Kimbers you have are shooting great, but in truth, the shooter himself is apparently a very accomplished shooter. Nice job.

Jim
Not so much accomplished as experienced, Jim. Ive been shooting b/a sporters for a long time and have made many mistakes, some of which I have learned from. Good triggers, good bedding, good optics, and rock solid mounting systems really make a difference, and both of my Hunters have all of that. I am privileged to be a member of a fine range facility within 20 minutes of my home, so I get to shoot a lot. And my range has heavy solid benches and is fairly well protected from wind. I stay low to the bench top when shooting and have solid support fore and aft, and I am watchful of rate of fire and barrel temperature. When all of the foregoing is tended to, shooting little groups is not real hard, even for an old guy with none to steady hands!

Jim
Old 10-22-2017, 12:29 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
Jim, I agree.

I have a Kimber 84M Varmint in 204 Ruger (I shoot a lot of colony rodents) and as an "aging rifleman" too, I find this rifle to be a mini clone of my all-time favorite, the pre '64 Model 70 Winchester (which in various calibers I've hunted with for over 50 years.

Light, nimble, controlled round feeding, three-position wing safety, classic design, excellent materials and workmanship....what's NOT to like, right?
I have had one pre-64 FWT in 270, Rick. Unfortunately, the barrel was worn out. I should have kept it, but did not. A buddy got it and had a custom rifle built on the action. My present M70 is a 2008 FWT in .308 Win. I fired a 7/16 3-shot group with this rifle with a handload a couple weeks ago. It is a beauty! But you know, it feels heavy compared to my Kimbers, and its trigger, while quite good, is not as fine and consistent as those on my Kimbers. However, I agree with you entirely that both the M70 and the Kimbers are fine rifles. Nice photos too!

Jim
Old 10-22-2017, 12:48 PM   #7

Originally Posted by swca View Post
.257 Roberts is that similar to a .243 or .270? What game do you hunt with it? Where are the pictures of the Rifles?
By the way that is some nice shooting!! Keep it going.
Well, Tom, the .243 is a necked down .308 Win and the .270 is a necked down 30-06. The .257 Bob is a necked down 7X57mm Mauser. It fits nicely in a medium action like the Kimber 84M. The cartridge was developed by a gun writer named Ned Roberts for varmints and medium game in the 1920s. I do not hunt varmints much, but I may use my .257 on a mule deer in 3 or 4 weeks. I do not use photo hosting sites right now, but I may look into posting some photos over the next couple days. I think both Hunters are pretty cool looking in a subtle muted fashion.

Jim
Old 10-22-2017, 06:28 PM   #8

Nothing like a Hunting rifle with a wood stock!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
Old 10-24-2017, 05:37 AM   #9

Wood

Originally Posted by swca View Post
Nothing like a Hunting rifle with a wood stock!
Tom,

You and I agree on this. My M70 Featherweight is a beautiful rifle and stirs my traditional rifleman's soul. This written, as I look out the window at today's northeast Indiana slop and consider my hunt in the near west in a couple weeks, my thoughts turn to the Kimber Hunters. Experience clambering over rocks and slithering on my belly through mud, cow pies, snow, rain, and wildly fluctuating temperatures on prior hunts suggests that rifle welfare might occupy too much of my mind if the M70 were my companion. Better to take a Hunter, I think, and focus on the game.

Jim
swca likes this.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:34 AM   #10

Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
Jim, I agree.

I have a Kimber 84M Varmint in 204 Ruger (I shoot a lot of colony rodents) and as an "aging rifleman" too, I find this rifle to be a mini clone of my all-time favorite, the pre '64 Model 70 Winchester (which in various calibers I've hunted with for over 50 years).

What model scope is that sitting on top of that pretty rifle? Looks to be a Leupold

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm

Search tags for this page

any problems with a kimber hunter 257 roberts

Click on a term to search for related topics.