Mountain Ascent Ammo Question - Page 2 - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Rifles Forum

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2018, 09:50 AM   #11

I'll go off the reservation here and opine that you may want to consider handloading for that rifle.

In over 55 years of hunting, I have not fired a factory round in any of my game rifles. If you want both accuracy AND performance, handloading is the only definitive way to find that pet load.

I'm a believer in both Barnes TTSX and Nosler Partitions, both having given me stellar performance on mule deer and big bull elk. Complete penetration of large bulls from any reasonable distance has been my experience.

I'll also go into dangerous territory to ask why you feel you "need" a .300 Mag for whitetails? I'd think a nice light 7mm-08 would be about perfect, and chances are you'll shoot it much better than a .300 Boomer. Add in less muzzle blast, less recoil, more rounds in the magazine, shorter barrel needed, lighter rifle with shorter bolt throw and you begin to see practicality over perceived "need".

Just my opinion, just my experience based on hunting large game for over five decades. Take it for what it's worth.

(P.S. Most of my bull elk have been taken with a M70 Win in .338-06 Ackley...no magnum needed, and these are BIG bulls. And the last raghorn 5x5 bull to come home was taken with my light mountain rifle, a Titanium 7mm-08 Ackley shooting 120gr Barnes TTSX. 'Jus sayin' )

Last edited by Rick in Oregon; 09-30-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Rick in Oregon is online now   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-30-2018, 06:43 PM   #12

My time is short. I used to reload but have gotten away from that as my career has grown. I like to spend my free time hunting and it seems like the number of offerings should allow any shooter ample opportunity to find some factory load that works. You are correct, a handload will allow all my rifles to shoot better and when I retire, I will definitely reload all my rifle loads.

In regards to 30 caliber being too much gun, it's an argument that won't ever come to a close. I met a 10 year old girl 2 years ago who killed a bull elk bigger than I ever will with a 55gr swift. So yeah, maybe I'm overgunned.

I've spent more time on this mountain ascent than any other rifle I own and I about sold it last year. I'm gonna kill an elk and maybe a mule deer with it this year. Happy hunting.
Timber Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:20 PM   #13

Understand completely; life gets in the way. Seen it myself.

For some good off the shelf hunting ammo for that beast, you may want to try either the Federal Premium or Nosler Trophy Grade ammo. Both feature their best grade hunting bullets for the big stuff in the weight range you're looking for. Both have good reputations and are available online.

Good luck on that whitetail, and I hope you get a chance on that elusive bull too.

Last edited by Rick in Oregon; 10-01-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Rick in Oregon is online now   Reply With Quote