Subalpine 30-06 Factory Ammo - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Rifles Forum

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2018, 01:10 AM   #1

Subalpine 30-06 Factory Ammo

Hi, new to the forum! Just picked up my Subalpine 30-06 here in Australia. Iíve grabbed a box of Barnes Vor-Tx in 168 grain to see how they group as a hunting round.

Anyone else had some luck with these? Any other recommendations? Nothing too exotic, we dont get a whole lot of choice here down under.

Cheers
Chuck43 and Jflytle like this.
TheGoatInBoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-05-2018, 05:08 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois TheGoatInBoots and congratulations on your new Kimber Rifle.

How about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership?

Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:43 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to BRLMKR
Welcome! I'm not using factory stuff. And I honestly don't know if you reload or what powder is available there, but a Barnes 180 TSX over 55 grains of IMR 4350 is sub MOA all the time, and, in my Subalpine clocks at 2797 fps. Terry
Chuck43 and GoCart like this.
BRLMKR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2018, 02:11 PM   #4

Thanks for the tip! Iím not reloading yet, so itís factory ammo for the moment! When I get there Iíll def look into the load you suggested!
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:49 AM   #5

Hey Goatinboots. I too have recently purchased a Subalpine in .30-06. I haven't had a chance to try a lot of factory ammunition yet but am hoping I can get out this weekend and try a few. Have you had any luck yet??
Pegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:33 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois Pegasus, how about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership?

Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:55 PM   #7

Thanks Chuck, will do
Old 03-18-2018, 09:47 AM   #8

Hello from Wyoming. Had a really nice day this morning at the range. 30 degrees (F) and not even a breeze! Tried out a handful of different factory ammo. I'm not the greatest shot so I won't report on group sizes but I'll give you my take.
The best performer that I tried today was the Barnes Vor-TX 150 Gr. TSX BT. These shot about an inch higher than the rest of the ammunition I tried at 100 yds.
One thing I have noticed with this rifle is that it does not feed Pointed Soft Points well. They are hard to cycle and sometimes get stuck on the ramp feed altogether. I have examined several of these bullets after cycling them through and found damage to the point of the bullet which I believe is effecting the accuracy.
Horandy American Whitetail 150 gr. interlock has been an excellent round for my Ruger American in .30-06. However, they just don't work well with this gun. I would call these Pointed Soft Point (PSP).

Federal Fusion 180 gr. shot well but they are PSP type bullet and I wouldn't feel comfortable using these hunting.

The Remington Core-Lokt 180 gr. SP or Soft Point fed flawlessly. The grouping, not surprisingly, was about 1-2". Kicked a lot too ha! I would feel confident taking these hunting for bigger game such as elk if you are on an extreme budget and can only afford $15 ammo!

I think for now I will stick to the Barnes Vor-TX. In the future I would like to some more bullets with the "plastic" tips that feed well. Maybe the Hornady Superperformance or Precision Hunter.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:54 PM   #9

Originally Posted by BRLMKR View Post
Welcome! I'm not using factory stuff. And I honestly don't know if you reload or what powder is available there, but a Barnes 180 TSX over 55 grains of IMR 4350 is sub MOA all the time, and, in my Subalpine clocks at 2797 fps. Terry
Have you tried either the Barnes 150 or 168 grain BRLMKR?
Old 05-20-2018, 03:52 AM   #10

Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
Originally Posted by BRLMKR View Post

Have you tried either the Barnes 150 or 168 grain BRLMKR?
Ive tried the 168 grain Barnes ttsx, they are awesome and spot on at the range. I don’t have any other data to go with them, they were shooting under an inch at a 100m.

But they are $95 a box here! So no good for practicing your groups and shooting styles. 180 grain core lokt’s are ok but not great.

I’m thinking of reloading due to the cost of the high end ammunition in Australia being just redonk.

Also found my action screws to be loose also, that had something to do with the inconsistency of my groups. Tightening them up worked to some degree with the core lokt. Barnes got even better.

Any load data would be great for those that have tried a few with the 30-06.