Bolt accuracy vs Semi-Auto - Kimber Forum

Kimber


Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Rifles Forum

Like Tree14Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2015, 02:17 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Vero Beach, Florida
Posts: 142
Bolt accuracy vs Semi-Auto

If you look at the popularity of rifles the .223 Semi seems to be THE rifle. I am interested in a Kimber 84M Classic Stainless Select Grade chambered in .243 Winchester.

My basic question is this;

Is the new modern AR-15 type inherently more accurate than a traditional bolt action rifle?

Thanks,

Rick
MonoLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-26-2015, 02:42 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Insta-Gator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Georgia
Posts: 11,763
IMO there is no semi auto that is as accurate as a solid locking bolt action.

Now the question is, how accurate does it need to be? How quickly do you need to get the 2nd or 3rd round off? It's a balance.
OLE442 and montanaResident like this.
__________________
Insta-Gator aka .. Gary
(warning: prone to bouts of petulance)

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:53 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Gmountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,178
I'd say a bolt is inherently more accurate, - less moving parts, etc-but a semi is still pretty darn good. Given the choice, I take the Kimber Rifle over the AR-15, just because it is a semi custom, beautiful firearm. An AR-15 is just one more fungible firearm.

Don't get me wrong- I love my AR's, but I love my Kimber rifles more.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 04-26-2015, 03:30 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Vero Beach, Florida
Posts: 142
Gator, I get what you are saying. I would say that if I put the first shot on target with a deer, etc. there would be no need for a "fast" second shot. That is hypothetical and reality may well be different.

I was wondering from a price standpoint because the 84M is in the mid-$1500 or so and some of the ARs I see are sometimes more which led me to think the price difference may be due to better accuracy.
MonoLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:08 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Insta-Gator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Georgia
Posts: 11,763
Don't get me wrong. I'd love to have an AR-10 in .308. Do I need one? No. Would it be a good hunting rifle around here? You bet it would. (I haven't hunted in years.)

I still want one, even if I have no justification for it. Welcome to Guns Anonymous.
Richard and glokrok like this.
__________________
Insta-Gator aka .. Gary
(warning: prone to bouts of petulance)

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:40 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Gmountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,178
Originally Posted by MonoLake View Post
Gator, I get what you are saying. I would say that if I put the first shot on target with a deer, etc. there would be no need for a "fast" second shot. That is hypothetical and reality may well be different.

I was wondering from a price standpoint because the 84M is in the mid-$1500 or so and some of the ARs I see are sometimes more which led me to think the price difference may be due to better accuracy.
Expensive ARs get that way for a couple of reasons-brand name is one reason. Fancy add on parts, such as rails, etc is another. The bolts are usually MPI tested. They do have good barrels. The gas systems work. The metallurgy is good. The feed reliably. They are good at what they do.

The Kimber is a semi custom hunting rifle. Many parts of it are hand fitted. The wood is outstanding. The barrel is designed for hunting. It is a much nicer rifle.
Richard likes this.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:42 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Vero Beach, Florida
Posts: 142
I understand. I plan on spending a good deal of time out west once I retire even though I am planning on living in SC, GA, or FL to be close to fishing. Having a Kimber 84M in .243 Win would be the perfect ticket in many western states. :-)

Appreciate the insight.
MonoLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:29 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Insta-Gator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Georgia
Posts: 11,763
What you gonna hunt out west with a .243? Coyote or Pronghorn?
Richard likes this.
__________________
Insta-Gator aka .. Gary
(warning: prone to bouts of petulance)

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:56 PM   #9
Super Moderator
 
Chuck43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 32,139
Originally Posted by MonoLake View Post
I understand. I plan on spending a good deal of time out west once I retire even though I am planning on living in SC, GA, or FL to be close to fishing. Having a Kimber 84M in .243 Win would be the perfect ticket in many western states. :-)

Appreciate the insight.

I have no experience with AR's all my long guns are Remington 700's, I've hunted the west for almost 30 years, primarily Wyoming, Utah and Idaho. It's not like hunting back east, you're going to cover a lot of ground either on horseback or walking and it's going to be a lot of up and down hill. Weight is very important you want to keep the rifle and scope at about 9 lbs or less. A .243 will be good for antelope and mule deer on the prairie but if you're going into the higher country for big mule deer, elk and moose you're going to need something heavier. I found a Win .300 mag to be an ideal all around gun for hunting anything out west. If you plan on something like a 2 week pack trip into the Teton wilderness then I favored my heavier .338 win mag. In the 7 trips I made we twice had a grizzly bear come into our camp, one came in at night while we were sleeping and we managed to scare it off. The second one came in while we were out hunting and tore the camp apart, FYI a canvas tent isn't bear proof. We had to use the pieces from the tents to make lean-to's and I just realized I've gotten way off track here sorry.
Richard and montanaResident like this.
__________________
BOTH POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!
Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:04 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Gmountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,178
Talking

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post

I have no experience with AR's all my long guns are Remington 700's, I've hunted the west for almost 30 years, primarily Wyoming, Utah and Idaho. It's not like hunting back east, you're going to cover a lot of ground either on horseback or walking and it's going to be a lot of up and down hill. Weight is very important you want to keep the rifle and scope at about 9 lbs or less. A .243 will be good for antelope and mule deer on the prairie but if you're going into the higher country for big mule deer, elk and moose you're going to need something heavier. I found a Win .300 mag to be an ideal all around gun for hunting anything out west. If you plan on something like a 2 week pack trip into the Teton wilderness then I favored my heavier .338 win mag. In the 7 trips I made we twice had a grizzly bear come into our camp, one came in at night while we were sleeping and we managed to scare it off. The second one came in while we were out hunting and tore the camp apart, FYI a canvas tent isn't bear proof. We had to use the pieces from the tents to make lean-to's and I just realized I've gotten way off track here sorry.
That's ok. It was a good story, and I love hearing how things were before smokeless powder.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
One gorgeous Kimber bolt action rifle.. Marshall Kimber Rifles Forum 9 04-21-2015 10:52 AM
The Combat Auto by Bill Wilson Chuck43 Off-Topic Discussion Forum 8 01-04-2015 02:29 PM
Need a semi 22 keslerconstruct Kimber Talk 6 12-11-2014 12:40 AM
Semi-new member from Illinois 46QJI New Member Introduction 14 08-26-2014 12:14 PM
NASCAR Auto Club 400 Chuck43 Off-Topic Discussion Forum 14 03-23-2014 05:25 PM