Bolt accuracy vs Semi-Auto - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Model Specific > Kimber Rifles Forum

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2015, 02:17 PM   #1

Bolt accuracy vs Semi-Auto

If you look at the popularity of rifles the .223 Semi seems to be THE rifle. I am interested in a Kimber 84M Classic Stainless Select Grade chambered in .243 Winchester.

My basic question is this;

Is the new modern AR-15 type inherently more accurate than a traditional bolt action rifle?

Thanks,

Rick
MonoLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-26-2015, 02:42 PM   #2

IMO there is no semi auto that is as accurate as a solid locking bolt action.

Now the question is, how accurate does it need to be? How quickly do you need to get the 2nd or 3rd round off? It's a balance.
OLE442 and montanaResident like this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:53 PM   #3

I'd say a bolt is inherently more accurate, - less moving parts, etc-but a semi is still pretty darn good. Given the choice, I take the Kimber Rifle over the AR-15, just because it is a semi custom, beautiful firearm. An AR-15 is just one more fungible firearm.

Don't get me wrong- I love my AR's, but I love my Kimber rifles more.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2015, 03:30 PM   #4

Gator, I get what you are saying. I would say that if I put the first shot on target with a deer, etc. there would be no need for a "fast" second shot. That is hypothetical and reality may well be different.

I was wondering from a price standpoint because the 84M is in the mid-$1500 or so and some of the ARs I see are sometimes more which led me to think the price difference may be due to better accuracy.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:08 PM   #5

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to have an AR-10 in .308. Do I need one? No. Would it be a good hunting rifle around here? You bet it would. (I haven't hunted in years.)

I still want one, even if I have no justification for it. Welcome to Guns Anonymous.
Richard and glokrok like this.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:40 PM   #6

Originally Posted by MonoLake View Post
Gator, I get what you are saying. I would say that if I put the first shot on target with a deer, etc. there would be no need for a "fast" second shot. That is hypothetical and reality may well be different.

I was wondering from a price standpoint because the 84M is in the mid-$1500 or so and some of the ARs I see are sometimes more which led me to think the price difference may be due to better accuracy.
Expensive ARs get that way for a couple of reasons-brand name is one reason. Fancy add on parts, such as rails, etc is another. The bolts are usually MPI tested. They do have good barrels. The gas systems work. The metallurgy is good. The feed reliably. They are good at what they do.

The Kimber is a semi custom hunting rifle. Many parts of it are hand fitted. The wood is outstanding. The barrel is designed for hunting. It is a much nicer rifle.
Richard likes this.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:42 PM   #7

I understand. I plan on spending a good deal of time out west once I retire even though I am planning on living in SC, GA, or FL to be close to fishing. Having a Kimber 84M in .243 Win would be the perfect ticket in many western states. :-)

Appreciate the insight.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:29 PM   #8

What you gonna hunt out west with a .243? Coyote or Pronghorn?
Richard likes this.

Old 04-26-2015, 05:56 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MonoLake View Post
I understand. I plan on spending a good deal of time out west once I retire even though I am planning on living in SC, GA, or FL to be close to fishing. Having a Kimber 84M in .243 Win would be the perfect ticket in many western states. :-)

Appreciate the insight.

I have no experience with AR's all my long guns are Remington 700's, I've hunted the west for almost 30 years, primarily Wyoming, Utah and Idaho. It's not like hunting back east, you're going to cover a lot of ground either on horseback or walking and it's going to be a lot of up and down hill. Weight is very important you want to keep the rifle and scope at about 9 lbs or less. A .243 will be good for antelope and mule deer on the prairie but if you're going into the higher country for big mule deer, elk and moose you're going to need something heavier. I found a Win .300 mag to be an ideal all around gun for hunting anything out west. If you plan on something like a 2 week pack trip into the Teton wilderness then I favored my heavier .338 win mag. In the 7 trips I made we twice had a grizzly bear come into our camp, one came in at night while we were sleeping and we managed to scare it off. The second one came in while we were out hunting and tore the camp apart, FYI a canvas tent isn't bear proof. We had to use the pieces from the tents to make lean-to's and I just realized I've gotten way off track here sorry.
Richard and montanaResident like this.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:04 PM   #10

Talking

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post

I have no experience with AR's all my long guns are Remington 700's, I've hunted the west for almost 30 years, primarily Wyoming, Utah and Idaho. It's not like hunting back east, you're going to cover a lot of ground either on horseback or walking and it's going to be a lot of up and down hill. Weight is very important you want to keep the rifle and scope at about 9 lbs or less. A .243 will be good for antelope and mule deer on the prairie but if you're going into the higher country for big mule deer, elk and moose you're going to need something heavier. I found a Win .300 mag to be an ideal all around gun for hunting anything out west. If you plan on something like a 2 week pack trip into the Teton wilderness then I favored my heavier .338 win mag. In the 7 trips I made we twice had a grizzly bear come into our camp, one came in at night while we were sleeping and we managed to scare it off. The second one came in while we were out hunting and tore the camp apart, FYI a canvas tent isn't bear proof. We had to use the pieces from the tents to make lean-to's and I just realized I've gotten way off track here sorry.
That's ok. It was a good story, and I love hearing how things were before smokeless powder.