Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Carson45
  • 2 Post By JC45
  • 1 Post By Carson45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2018, 10:13 AM   #1

Hunter Boot Campaign .308 ammo suggestions

Hello everyone new member here

I bought a new Kimber Hunter Campaign in .308 that I'm very excited about.

I have spent hours so far trying to figure out where to start for ammo. Its going to be mainly used for deer hunting with no shots going more than 100 yards more than likely.

On Kimber's website it says the twist rate is 9 so from what I read its saying I should get a heavier grain bullet. I'll be the first one to tell you that I'm not a gun expect by a long shot so I would like some suggestions on what to try. Any help will be appreciated. I do not mind buying expensive ammo if I will have better results fyi.

Thanks!
Somis300wsm likes this.
Carson45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-26-2018, 02:27 PM   #2

Welcome to the site from Tennessee.

Others can help better than I in regards to .308 hunting ammo.

Gold Combat LE
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
CDP Ultra
Raptor Ultra Stainless
RCP Ultra
SIS Custom
SIS Pro
SIS Ultra
TLE Pro (TFS)
Stainless Raptor
Custom Two Tone .45/460 Rowland
Super Carry Ultra Plus
84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:53 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum from Northeast, Pa.

I’m no ammo expert but this is what I use.
Around here hunting deer is generally within 100 yards too. My twist rate is 1 in 10 and I use 150gr, 165 or 168gr. All Work just fine and within a 100 any soft point should work. I use Remington Core-lok and Federal Power-Shok 150gr for target and hunting. I will use 165 or 168gr the first week of buck season because it overlaps with bear season. Hornady Super Performance 165gr is pretty impressive if you want higher end ammo. The bottom line is most ammo will take down a deer at 100 yards with a properly placed shot.
2sharp2 and Carson45 like this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2018, 04:58 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I think Im going to try a few different rounds when the gun comes in.

Hornady Super 165
Federal Fusion 165
Federal Vital Shok 165

I guess whatever is grouping the best at 100 yrds Ill stick with. I was just concerned with the twist ratio because I read an article saying 1:9 I should start with 180 grain and maybe even go heavier. But Ill go with 165 and see what happens
JC45 likes this.
Carson45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:48 AM   #5

Originally Posted by Carson45 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I think Im going to try a few different rounds when the gun comes in.

Hornady Super 165
Federal Fusion 165
Federal Vital Shok 165

I guess whatever is grouping the best at 100 yrds Ill stick with. I was just concerned with the twist ratio because I read an article saying 1:9 I should start with 180 grain and maybe even go heavier. But Ill go with 165 and see what happens
I would definitely try different types of ammo to see which performs best in your rifle. I would also try some of the lower cost ammo. These are the rounds hunters have been using for generations. They get the job done, theyíre cheaper so you can practice more and they are very accurate.
Midway USA has some good prices on Federal Power-Shok and the reviews are 5-star. Everyone has Remington Core-lok and itís very accurate. Winchester Super X, Hornady Whitetail are excellent deer rounds.
Just because the ammo thatís north of $30 a box is marketed better doesnít mean itís going to make a deer more dead.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:33 PM   #6

All copper bullets perform well but tend to carry their energy past the intended target on deer size game. I would look for a good soft point round and experiment with weight a little. My gun prefers 168gr above all with a notable difference in accuracy from 150gr.
You mentioned several good manufacturers but keep the less thought of rounds in mind. I found that the Speer offering in 308 is extremely effective, accurate, and affordable.
Good luck I hope you enjoy the 308 as much as I have.
Simpleman is offline   Reply With Quote